House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Solitaire

My Django

22 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

What a lovely cat.  I want one but I was so upset when my last one died that I haven't wanted to put myself through that loss again.

To quote my son when our four year old greyhound died last year "They make you love them, then they break your heart".  Our strategy is to have two. You'd have to be dreadfully unlucky to lose both at once. Plus they're company for each other. 

30 minutes ago, This time said:

That's awful. What happened? We had to put one of our cats down in January and I still tear up about it occasionally. 

First sign of a problem was when he couldn't pee. It's been six days of in-patient care for him. Every few days our hopes were high as the vet tried different procedures only for the news to get worse again. They operated on his bladder Friday morning and found that he had massive internal trauma to his organs. The vet thinks he was either hit by a car or someone heavily kicked him. They tried to save him but the damage proved to be too great and he had to be put to sleep.

Unbelievably he showed no outward signs that anything was wrong other than when he couldn't pee. I feel I let him down as I should have known something wasn't right.

We loved him so much and we were blessed to have him in our lives.

Thanks for you kind comments.

I will miss him forever.

Sorry to hear about this. Django looks a lot like one of my very beautiful cats. I always say never again because I am so sad when they die, and I always end up with another one.

14 minutes ago, Solitaire said:

First sign of a problem was when he couldn't pee. It's been six days of in-patient care for him. Every few days our hopes were high as the vet tried different procedures only for the news to get worse again. They operated on his bladder Friday morning and found that he had massive internal trauma to his organs. The vet thinks he was either hit by a car or someone heavily kicked him. They tried to save him but the damage proved to be too great and he had to be put to sleep.

Unbelievably he showed no outward signs that anything was wrong other than when he couldn't pee. I feel I let him down as I should have known 00somethin000g wasn't right.

I will miss him forever.

Don't blame yourself, cats are really good at pretending they're fine. Look after yourself. It does get better, mostly when I think about my girl now I remember the good times and the cute little things she used to do. 

Sad to hear. A large whisky and lots of tears helped me in may when I lost my cat.  Still think of him. 

It gets a little easier eventually. 

Its the special bond I miss that you can't get back. It doesn't exist with dogs I don't think.

I still say Miaow a lot. You might too.

What a fine looking animal. Gorgeous. 

Give yourself some time before making any decisions on getting another one ( or two) theres plenty of time.

RIP lovely cat. 

Did you used to have a picture of him as your avatar? 

Well, we had 3 cats which we brought back from Japan with us. One died at 5 the next at 7 and finally one at 9. Finally (yes finally) I have no regrets.

Our current cat was picked up from Tesco`s car pack....what a sweetie !

(RIP)

14 minutes ago, council dweller said:

Well, we had 3 cats which we brought back from Japan with us. One died at 5 the next at 7 and finally one at 9. Finally (yes finally) I have no regrets.

Our current cat was picked up from Tesco`s car pack....what a sweetie !

(RIP)

My grandmother aquired a colliery cat as a kitten born down the mine the year I was born, it would never eat cat food and was fed solely on raw liver, by the time I was a teenager he had 1 tooth and was finally put down when he was 21. Was a real bad tempered cat, but would bring home presents and lay them out on display for his mistress under her bedroom window. Real character, you don't get moggies like that anymore.

So sad for you Solitaire. 

A cat shaped hole is incredibly hard to fill. 

I completely understand your pain having lost a few cats and some leave larger scars than others. I'm not ashamed to say I was bereft when I lost my Millie just over three years ago. 

I brought home two 8 week old kittens last year, sisters Maisie and Daisy and they have filled the void and then some. Having said that I sometimes get a sense of dread at the thought of loss again. 

Three years ago Mrs XYY announced that we were getting a cat.

As a life-long dog owner, for me that was one hell of a learning-curve..!

I now understand people who cats attach themselves to - and you have my sincere best-wishes in coping with your loss.

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

24 minutes ago, little fish said:

What a fine looking animal. Gorgeous. 

Give yourself some time before making any decisions on getting another one ( or two) theres plenty of time.

RIP lovely cat. 

Did you used to have a picture of him as your avatar? 

Yes I did. I tried to do an avatar on this new forum but can't work out how to do it.

Thanks again for your replies, it helps reading them (but sorry so many of you have been through the same)

Django Xmas 2012 027.JPG

12 hours ago, Solitaire said:

Unbelievably he showed no outward signs that anything was wrong other than when he couldn't pee. I feel I let him down as I should have known something wasn't right.

I will miss him forever.

It must be very raw now, but as said above cats don't tend to complain too much or show outward signs when they are in trouble.

It is really difficult when a pet dies, people don't give it the recognition it deserves. You just have to try and deal with the grief as best you can. 

I'm sure in time you will come round to getting another, it won't ever be a replacement for Django.

When my mums cat died a few years ago she said she would never have another, however she ended up inheriting my cat because I got divorced and neither I or my ex wife had the ability to keep him (as much as I tried). She absolutely adores him and he lives the absolute life of Riley (he had a tough time up to the point I got him, stray, lost his eye, kidney problems etc), it's been a really positive thing for them both.