House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

French 2017 election betting suspended

You can no longer bet on who will win the French election on Ladbrokes and WH unless I am missing something.

Wasn't there a round of elections in France today or yesterday? 

It is likely the Bookies have taken down the betting whilst they rehash the new betting going forward after todays results.

I expect it will all be back up tomorrow. 

2 minutes ago, workingpoor said:

Wasn't there a round of elections in France today or yesterday? 

It is likely the Bookies have taken down the betting whilst they rehash the new betting going forward after todays results.

I expect it will all be back up tomorrow. 

Yes. See my link above.

Realistically the way the French elections work it would be pretty hard for Le Pen.

Her best chance is to be in the 2nd round with Francois Hollande, but that looks unlikely (maybe some of her party should tactically vote for him in the first round).

Having said that (and it's sad to say) but France is odds on to have another Bataclan or Nice style atrocity, will that happen before the election?  could it have an impact?

If she does win it will be Brexit x 100

The EU and Euro will be effectively over, there must be a lot of forces in both France and in other countries working against this right now.  I hope she has some good bodyguards!

38 minutes ago, reddog said:

Realistically the way the French elections work it would be pretty hard for Le Pen.

Her best chance is to be in the 2nd round with Francois Hollande, but that looks unlikely (maybe some of her party should tactically vote for him in the first round).

Having said that (and it's sad to say) but France is odds on to have another Bataclan or Nice style atrocity, will that happen before the election?  could it have an impact?

If she does win it will be Brexit x 100

The EU and Euro will be effectively over, there must be a lot of forces in both France and in other countries working against this right now.  I hope she has some good bodyguards!

One Bataclan was quite enough for me, and i'm British.

Its us or them, i just wish half this nation would wake up.

people have been saying Marine can't win for about 2 years. It's predictable to read, she'll clearly win. Fillon is an utter bore, an amoeba with no real policies. 

Well, at least that opportunist Sarkozy was seen for what he is by the French. All his shock, horror at the mass islamist immigration into France despite him being president for donkey years whilst it was happening.

9 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

people have been saying Marine can't win for about 2 years. It's predictable to read, she'll clearly win. Fillon is an utter bore, an amoeba with no real policies. 

Honestly don't know too much about French politics, but can certainly imagine a massive element of shy Tory/Brexit/Trump supported in the offing. 

11 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

I will be surprised if Marine Le Pen doesn't walk it, the backlash against the smug self righteous left is growing exponentially, interesting times.

Hmmm not too sure. I was fairly confident about Brexit and Trump, but this one...... I'd be surprised if she did.

3 minutes ago, SpewLabour said:

Hmmm not too sure. I was fairly confident about Brexit and Trump, but this one...... I'd be surprised if she did.

I'm going by our many French friends, mostly retirees, who were previously fiercely patriotic and proud. Now they say things like "Pah, France is finished, finished".  

6 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

I'm going by our many French friends, mostly retirees, who were previously fiercely patriotic and proud. Now they say things like "Pah, France is finished, finished".  

Aren't they the sort to be very likely to vote for Ms Le Pen though?

France is much more conservative than this country I reckon.

Even if Le Pen doesn't win, which I think she will, she has done exceedingly well in a very short space of time. It's unfortunate that UKIP and a few other Eurosceptic parties aren't keen on getting along with the FN; a pan-European Eurosceptic party would be interesting. I think this is one of Nigel's (few) public mistakes, Marine Le Pen has offered her hand many times.

7 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

It now all depends on how many leftists can muster up the energy to vote against democracy. 

Er, how would they be voting against democracy? :huh:

1 hour ago, Dorkins said:

Er, how would they be voting against democracy? :huh:

I didn't word it very well and was being ironic. What I meant was they'd be voting to prevent something rather than voting toward it. In other words they'll be voting to try to prevent the FN only: other factors are immaterial. 

20 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Will this become the new Hilary/Trump Thread?

Will he/Won't she.

That seemed to confound opinion and whilst many of us hoped it was never apparent until the morning after..

7 minutes ago, long time lurking said:

Le pen it is then 

I'm not a betting person and hate going in the bookies so missed out on both brexit and trump.  I was girding myself up to laying a bet on both. Must try harder and get myself to the bookies

Le Pen won't win, there's no comparison between the FN (an outright fascist party) and Trump. Also the alternatives are nowhere nears as odious and blatantly corrupt as Hillary was for the Democrat voters.