House Price Crash Forum

Welcome to a Tesco Village - solving the housing crisis

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/11/19/tesco-towers-supermarket-enters-the-fray-with-a-radical-new-solu/

Solution to the housing crisis, turn Tesco sites into mini villages.

Let's see if Waitrose responds. Obviously far more prestigious, but still over a supermarket.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

You may josh but Tesco built a new store near me.  Centre of the area, just near the station.  They have built an estate in the land round it and luxury apartments to the front of the store over the top (must be really nice when they have the midnight deliveries). 

The best bit is that to encourage people not to have a car, they have deliberately not provided enough parking places.  Que lots of new cars on the surrounding residential streets and locals being no longer able to park near their home.

oh, and lots of it is social housing. Walking up the high street feels like being in a third world county 

HOLA446

It also plans to deepen its ties with Sir Philip Green’s Arcadia brands, including Dorothy Perkins and Burton. 

:unsure:

TesCottage ....TesContainer

So we're further under the corporate cartel cosh for housing, as well as food ? 

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA447
1 hour ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

:unsure:

TesCottage ....TesContainer

So we're further under the corporate cartel cosh for housing, as well as food ? 

Company Store?

Could be like that episode of Red Dwarf where Dave resigns and he loses his Oxygen allowance  .

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
19 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

The next step will be when UK supermarkets get a permanent armed guard a la Venezuela...

https://www.standeyo.com/NEWS/10_Economy/10_Economy_pics/100112.VEN.nat.guard.jpg

"Unexpected body in the bagging area"

"How many body bags did you use?........That'll be 45p"

HOLA4411

The retailer is also in discussions about selling space to other retailers and restaurants, including McDonald’s, which will help drive footfall.  

How do you get people to go to Tesco. Put in a retailer that isn't Tesco. eh?

Ok it doesn't make sense. If they go to Mc Donald's they'll get the calories there so won't be buying food goods.

HOLA4412
5 hours ago, 999house said:

every little helps. 

Absolutely.  I do believe that the main causes of sky-high house prices are easy credit and BTL.  However, any increase in supply will put downward pressure on price.  I don't care if it doesn't have parking, or if it's above a supermarket - not everyone needs parking and don't have to live there.  However, it will reduce the competition for the accommodation where I do want to live.

HOLA4413
14 hours ago, Bear Hug said:

I don't care if it doesn't have parking, or if it's above a supermarket - not everyone needs parking and don't have to live there.  However, it will reduce the competition for the accommodation where I do want to live.

Not sure I follow the logic. I build 500,000 minis so that will depress demand for Bentley Continental GT's ? In fact could even put more upward pressure on desirable areas

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
4 hours ago, Greg Bowman said:

Not sure I follow the logic. I build 500,000 minis so that will depress demand for Bentley Continental GT's ? In fact could even put more upward pressure on desirable areas

I don't think this analogy works when applied to the housing.  There are lots of people forced to share big houses "Bentleys" because there isn't enough affordable accommodation "minis".   They would prefer an own mini to a shared bentley, Therefore 500,000 minis will indeed depress the demand for bentleys.

HOLA4416
2 hours ago, Bear Hug said:

I don't think this analogy works when applied to the housing.  There are lots of people forced to share big houses "Bentleys" because there isn't enough affordable accommodation "minis".   They would prefer an own mini to a shared bentley, Therefore 500,000 minis will indeed depress the demand for bentleys.

bear hug- I agree increased supply will help regardless whether high end or low end of the market. Everything else being equal the supply reduces competitive bidding and therefore reduces price increase pressure. Of course if we have mass net immigration increasing supply is running to stand still.