House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LC1

Phone stolen from my home by EA doing a viewing

Well, either him/her or the prospective tenants. I don't know which is the more likely.

Do criminal types book viewings to look for easy trinkets to swipe, or scope for potential burglary targets? It seems like that would be an easy thing to do...

I know it was stupid of me to leave it lying around, but it was in my hurry to leave with two small kids in tow. 

What to do now. Obviously I will be reporting it to the police and the agent (when they reopen on Monday), but I'm guessing there will be little chance of proving anything, nor of claiming on insurance, since there was no breaking/entering. It was a cheapy android phone, and so I wouldn't really want to claim anyway. I'd much rather the agent took some responsibility, but I'm doubtful that they'll step up to that.

Just royally annoyed at myself for forgetting to take it, and the cheek of people who do this kind of thing :(

21 minutes ago, LC1 said:

Well, either him/her or the prospective tenants. I don't know which is the more likely.

Do criminal types book viewings to look for easy trinkets to swipe, or scope for potential burglary targets? It seems like that would be an easy thing to do...

I know it was stupid of me to leave it lying around, but it was in my hurry to leave with two small kids in tow. 

What to do now. Obviously I will be reporting it to the police and the agent (when they reopen on Monday), but I'm guessing there will be little chance of proving anything, nor of claiming on insurance, since there was no breaking/entering. It was a cheapy android phone, and so I wouldn't really want to claim anyway. I'd much rather the agent took some responsibility, but I'm doubtful that they'll step up to that.

Just royally annoyed at myself for forgetting to take it, and the cheek of people who do this kind of thing :(

Have your tried tracking it through your google account?

https://www.google.co.uk/android/devicemanager

That's wildly annoying; it has zip value to them but causes massive inconvenience to you. 

I would assume it's the prospective tenants so your kicking up a stink with the agent should ensure that they get flagged as dodgy and not to be risked as a tenant.

1 hour ago, LC1 said:

Yes.

12 hours ago, This time said:

Have your tried tracking it through your google account?

https://www.google.co.uk/android/devicemanager

I'm fairly new to smartphones and that link is very interesting indeed, thanks - the last tracked place is my street, so will perhaps have to backtrack on my theory of a theft, though I have now turned this house upside down and no sign of it - my three year old is officially now a person of interest in this enquiry! 

Am I being patronising by asking if you've tried ringing it?

Also if it was unlocked then any possible thief could have factory reset it, I suspect, so might have stopped tracking once they got it.

Well, that was all fun and games - it was finally found in a pile of frying pans in a low kitchen cupboard that we rarely use.

My son is tall enough to grab things off of kitchen counters, but his phase of putting our belongings in obscure locations is long behind him, which is why we really didn't think he had anything to do with it. His 1yr old sister, on the other hand, loves nothing more than putting things in the washing machine and other nooks and crannies. I can only imagine that he swiped it without us noticing, gave it to her, and then she did the deed. 

11 hours ago, thecrashingisles said:

They're far more cunning that estate agents.

Indeed! So cunning in fact that he always admits to stuff we ask him about, even when it transpires that he had nothing whatsoever to do with it, so we never know whether he's genuinely to blame!

11 hours ago, Si1 said:

Am I being patronising by asking if you've tried ringing it?

Yes! It went straight to answer each time when I knew that it had plenty of battery life, That was the main thing that made me assume it had been stolen and the SIM removed. I suspect that the metal pans acted like some sort of Faraday cage and blocked the phone's reception! 

Evil geniuses.

Google's device finder "ring the phone loudly" is amazing. The tracking feature only works if location was turned on to start with. I wish you could force that setting on. I have made the mistake of putting my phone in "aircraft mode" to save battery (and after that quickly misplacing it) - then it doesn't work. 

Net: Google device finder is amazing, make sure you know your passwords etc (unlike my wife). 

I'm glad you found it. It's not a nice feeling having something taken like that. 

Many years ago, probably around the time coloured screens were new to mobile phones, we had a new tumble dryer delivered. I left the kitchen to see to one of the kids and one of the delivery men nicked Mr B's phone from the top of the fridge. 

We we reported it but they were contract drivers. I felt sick for ages afterwards.

My little boy went through a stage of putting random things in the bin. By the time we worked out what he was doing, we figure quite a few things, including loose cash, probably ended up in landfill. Nothing as valuable as a mobile phone luckily!