Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Eagle

Petition to make UK royal family pay for Buckingham Palace repairs gains 62k+ signatures

Recommended Posts

Quote
A petition calling for the British royal family to foot the bill for £369 million worth of repairs to Buckingham Palace has surpassed its intended target of 45,000 signatures, quickly reaching over 62,000.

The move comes after Queen Elizabeth II, 90, was awarded a 66 percent rise in funding for the palace refurb by Prime Minister Theresa May and Chancellor of the Exchequer Philip Hammond.

Thousands are not happy with the announcement during a time of austerity and cuts to housing for vulnerable families and think the royal family should pay for their own expenses.

Mark Johnson, who started the petition, said on the page that “the Crown and its estates should be made to fund its own renovations.”

“There is a national housing crisis, the NHS is in crisis, austerity is forcing cuts in many frontline services,” Johnson wrote. “Now the Royals expect us to dig deeper to refurbish Buckingham Palace. The Crown’s wealth is inestimable. This is, in a word, outrageous.”

Scottish Nationalist MP Mhairi Black also condemned the government’s agreement to foot the repair bill on Twitter.

“Privileged family receive ultimate home makeover, meanwhile 50’s women can’t get pensions and 1 in 4 children live in poverty,” she wrote.

https://www.rt.com/uk/367525-petition-buckingham-palace-repairs/

 

Have you signed yet or are you happy with this use of your tax money?

Edited by The Eagle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why was this thread moved from 'off-topic' into the 'current affairs' graveyard, while other current affairs threads such as the Trump and the Clinton one remain in off-topic?

15 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

Why didn't he start it on the government website so they'd have to respond?  They can just ignore this one.

I guess it would have been instantly deleted from the government website, just like this thread was moved to the HPC graveyard... :ph34r:

Seem the monarchists are still very powerful. :(

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gets more tourists splashing their cash in Londinium in the long term than that glorified tent did on the other side of the Thames.

Chinese tourists absolutely love it, so all in all its part of the London vibe and well worth keeping in tip top nick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ChewingGrass said:

Gets more tourists splashing their cash in Londinium in the long term than that glorified tent did on the other side of the Thames.

Chinese tourists absolutely love it, so all in all its part of the London vibe and well worth keeping in tip top nick.

The tent was never about tourism, it was a vanity project. It was first proposed in the dying days of major's government.  Instead of killing it dead when they came to power, Bliar and mandleslime embraced it fully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2016 at 0:14 AM, The Eagle said:

https://www.rt.com/uk/367525-petition-buckingham-palace-repairs/

 

Have you signed yet or are you happy with this use of your tax money?

..I am happy ...this is our tourist landmark and brings in £millions each year and is part of our constitution and history....I don't go with any lefties or other vague bodies on this one....:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/11/2016 at 0:14 AM, The Eagle said:

Have you signed yet or are you happy with this use of your tax money?

Far happier than a lot of the other things that tax money gets spent on. At least it isn't actively making anything worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, South Lorne said:

..I am happy ...this is our tourist landmark and brings in £millions each year and is part of our constitution and history....I don't go with any lefties or other vague bodies on this one....:rolleyes:

I thought you didn't give a toss about the constitution?

Reassuring to know you'll be cool with whatever the supreme court decides re Article 50 and prerogative powers ;)

Edited by knock out johnny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Crown Estate has delivered a record £304.1m to the Treasury in 2016 after the value of its portfolio rose 9.7% to £12bn.

This year the Queen received a Sovereign Grant of nearly £43m, currently calculated as 15% of the Crown Estate's profits.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36643314

So the palace repairs could be paid for with just over one years income, if they stopped paying 85% of it to the Treasury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2016 at 0:22 PM, knock out johnny said:

I thought you didn't give a toss about the constitution?

Reassuring to know you'll be cool with whatever the supreme court decides re Article 50 and prerogative powers ;)

...the UK constitution will be challenged if the supreme court during the decision process, comprises of any person who does not declare conflicts of interest / vested interests they have with the EU....and as democracy has spoken and pre agreed the action on the outcome of the referendum they should realise they will be working against the constitution, if they decide to make any decision which challenges the outcome of that process. It would in fact be unlawful. 

In this context will they overrule the outcome of the next General Election? Will they overrule the next Scottish Independence Referendum? Will they rule Scots living in England / or Overseas should have a Referendum Vote in the next Scottish Independence Referendum or any UK resident should have a vote in the next Scottish Independence Referendum?

They could be busy people......:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, South Lorne said:

...the UK constitution will be challenged if the supreme court during the decision process, comprises of any person who does not declare conflicts of interest / vested interests they have with the EU....and as democracy has spoken and pre agreed the action on the outcome of the referendum they should realise they will be working against the constitution, if they decide to make any decision which challenges the outcome of that process. It would in fact be unlawful. 

In this context will they overrule the outcome of the next General Election? Will they overrule the next Scottish Independence Referendum? Will they rule Scots living in England / or Overseas should have a Referendum Vote in the next Scottish Independence Referendum or any UK resident should have a vote in the next Scottish Independence Referendum?

They could be busy people......:rolleyes:

What a meaningless and I'll-informed rant. 

Please respond when you actually understand what the court case is about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, knock out johnny said:

What a meaningless and I'll-informed rant. 

Please respond when you actually understand what the court case is about. 

...it's a challenge to democracy ...can you not see 'Rome is Burning'..?...but after the Italian Vote it should be 'Brussels is Burning'....when there is nothing to BREXIT you will understand the power of democracy ....and calm down on your own continual ranting ...just get real...your stand is in vain.. there will be no union across the channel in which to remain....try and acquaint yourself with facts....:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, South Lorne said:

...it's a challenge to democracy ...can you not see 'Rome is Burning'..?...but after the Italian Vote it should be 'Brussels is Burning'....when there is nothing to BREXIT you will understand the power of democracy ....and calm down on your own continual ranting ...just get real...your stand is in vain.. there will be no union across the channel in which to remain....try and acquaint yourself with facts....:rolleyes:

Yep, just as I thought - no understanding whatsoever of what is going on and what the court case is deciding

Continue to stew in your anger and frustration

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • The Prime Minister stated that there were three Brexit options available to the UK:   65 members have voted

    1. 1. Which of the Prime Minister's options would you choose?


      • Leave with the negotiated deal
      • Remain
      • Leave with no deal

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.