House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Chutney blues

I made dangerous pickled onions once!

2 hours ago, SarahBell said:

Made some chutney. Only one jar has sealed shut. Bugger. Assume you have to re-heat chutney and then wash and dry the jars again and rejar.
Grr.

Have you got a pressure cooker ? Loosen the tops, pop the jars in there and bring to pressure for a short time, then screw down.

23 minutes ago, LiveinHope said:

Have you got a pressure cooker ? Loosen the tops, pop the jars in there and bring to pressure for a short time, then screw down.

too late, just reheated contents and re did jars. double checked they are tight this time.

I'm thinking of making some honey spiced picked onions in cider vinegar. It may even progress to the buying a load of empty glass jars online stage but I do fear not much beyond.

I made runner bean chutney this year.  I've made it before and liked it but couldn't find the recipe , so I downloaded something from the interweb.  I now have 6 jars of lurid green wallpaper paste.... time to redecorate.

1 hour ago, happy_renting said:

Utterly inept work on preserves. Ms Bell.

So, further to our recent private messages, I am no longer asking you to pickle me for resurrection in 200 years time.

The jam is always excellent though.
Chutney just seems to be more complicated. This stuff is going to taste amazing though.

Ah re: pickling, shall I cancel the bulk order of sarsons then?

5 hours ago, SarahBell said:

Made some chutney. Only one jar has sealed shut. Bugger. Assume you have to re-heat chutney and then wash and dry the jars again and rejar.
Grr.

Might be a bit late, though 5 hours since your post isn't time to develop bad bacteria if reasonable sealed.

So question - Are you using kilner jars?

If you are, shove them in the oven at something over 85C for enough time to heat the chutney to 85c for over 5 minutes.  85C throughout for a minimum of 5 minutes will kill all the dangerous bacteria and allow you to attempt to reseal.  Basically this is the whole point of kilner jars.

Just seen you later post.

I think you are good!  

The main issue with things like chutney is botulism poisoning - this can occur when the Clostridium botulinum bacteria is present in a low oxygen environment.  85C thought the chutney for 5  minutes will kill Clostridium botulinum, and if everything seals then you should be good. Also how much vinegar did you use, as good acidity will also prevent Clostridium botulinum developing - so belt are braces.

39 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

The jam is always excellent though.
Chutney just seems to be more complicated. This stuff is going to taste amazing though.

Ah re: pickling, shall I cancel the bulk order of sarsons then?

White vinegar only, please. I don't want to arrive in 2216 looking like Kilroy-Silk.

6 hours ago, One-percent said:

Mistaken the vinegar for nitroglycerin mr pin? 

Your post has likely triggered a GCHQ review of this thread... :ph34r:

4 hours ago, The Eagle said:

Your post has likely triggered a GCHQ review of this thread... :ph34r:

Actually I just put hot chillies in with the onions. And GCHQ know about me anyway.

11 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Might be a bit late, though 5 hours since your post isn't time to develop bad bacteria if reasonable sealed.

So question - Are you using kilner jars?

If you are, shove them in the oven at something over 85C for enough time to heat the chutney to 85c for over 5 minutes.  85C throughout for a minimum of 5 minutes will kill all the dangerous bacteria and allow you to attempt to reseal.  Basically this is the whole point of kilner jars.

No just normal jars.

Two still haven't popped so I have stuck them in the fridge and will pass one on to a friend so it gets eaten as soon as it's matured a bit. I'll scoff the other. The other 4 jars can sit for a couple of months until they're properly mature.

I made  pizza the other night. Cooked up a tin of tomatoes for half an hour to make the paste. Pizza was foul, but I forced it down. I was kind of drunk on homebrew. So I went and poked around in the tomato paste left in the pan, and fished out some weird cube thing, about 1cm. I popped it in my mouth (I was drunk remember) and it tasted like some sort of sherberty sweet or something. And the tomato paste was abslolutely foul and bitter.  I the only other possibility I can think of is, I dropped a dish washer tab in it. That's pretty unlikely, but I was drunk. I don't think I will be able to look at a tin of tomatoes for at least a year.

Home made chitney is deliscious.

4 hours ago, Steppenpig said:

I made  pizza the other night. Cooked up a tin of tomatoes for half an hour to make the paste. Pizza was foul, but I forced it down. I was kind of drunk on homebrew. So I went and poked around in the tomato paste left in the pan, and fished out some weird cube thing, about 1cm. I popped it in my mouth (I was drunk remember) and it tasted like some sort of sherberty sweet or something. And the tomato paste was abslolutely foul and bitter.  I the only other possibility I can think of is, I dropped a dish washer tab in it. That's pretty unlikely, but I was drunk. I don't think I will be able to look at a tin of tomatoes for at least a year.

Those dishwasher tabs are really bad for you! 

A friend gave me a jar of his green onion chutney (it didn't know there was such a thing). Anyway, it gave me terribly diarrhoea. I didn't have the heart to tell him and every year I get another jar to add to the collection. 

1 minute ago, whitevanman said:

A friend gave me a jar of his green onion chutney (it didn't know there was such a thing). Anyway, it gave me terribly diarrhoea. I didn't have the heart to tell him and every year I get another jar to add to the collection. 

Empty it into the compost, wash the jar and hand it back. (Or pass on to a jam maker) 
Tell them you're finding it gives you too much acid reflux these days so not to give you anymore. 

4 hours ago, Steppenpig said:

Well you are still here, so can't have been that bad for you whatever it was that you dropped in.  Wired that the lump was sweet but the topping bitter

32 minutes ago, One-percent said:

Wired that the lump was sweet but the topping bitter

I thought maybe it was some bad batch and they'd added some kind of sweetner in the factory. Or maybe the homebrew rewired my brain for sweet and sour the other way round

37 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

You might find it more therepeutic when you get older.