House Price Crash Forum

Mad in Streatham

Mrs Bear

HOLA441

Zoopla just sent me an alert about an 'exciting new development' in Streatham.  (hardly the height of fashionable SW London for anyone unfamiliar) 

1-3 beds, £425k - £815k. 

I wonder how long it'll be before they're sending me alerts about discounts - if I hurry, of course...

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
2 minutes ago, canbuywontbuy said:

Does anybody actually live in London anymore, apart from MPs, the unemployed, and the Queen?

I'm a taxpayer and I no longer do.  My Landlord sold my 'home' out from under me a few months ago so I said goodbye London.  Probably smart for him given the changes for BTL that are fast approaching.

HOLA445

StStS nearnearnearneanenen livedlivedlivelivelivlilil  

I lived up the road from St Reatham's Village for several years. That is insane. Saying that, the other day I was flicking through one of the free papers on the train (about half the paper is new build adverts) and saw 1 bedders in deptford for **just** £395k. Now, I used to drive through the area they showed, in my younger days, remembering an abandonded bingo hall or something that was a hangout for tramps and druggies, often huddled around blazing oil drums. I am sure its near the dlr but parts of deptford are still like that. Its not Cafe Rouge and Gucci boutique high streets, that for sure. Then I saw ads for a development near to where I am now, bromley, kent. Hardly a magnet for the jetset. 1 -2 bedders £295k-£450k. Incindentally, few streets away from the place I bought my first flat, in 1996, 2 bedder for £70k. There is just no economic foundation in these kind of unicorn fantasy dream figures whatsoever.

HOLA446

My local area. Its insane. Its not a bad place to live, but at the same time its not pretty either. Prices are completely bonkers. Lots of people living in Clapham cant afford it so move one tube stop up the road. In the 2 or 3 years Ive been here the area has changed alot. 

HOLA447
3 hours ago, Mrs Bear said:

Zoopla just sent me an alert about an 'exciting new development' in Streatham.  (hardly the height of fashionable SW London for anyone unfamiliar) 

1-3 beds, £425k - £815k. 

I wonder how long it'll be before they're sending me alerts about discounts - if I hurry, of course...

Think I know the one you mean. Its a block of new builds by Streatham Hill Tube. Will probably get snapped up too.

HOLA448

Used to live in Streatham - it was going upmarket when I was there but that was more about property prices than facilities - it will always be more about LIDL that Waitrose. Traffic is a nightmare and while there are plenty of railway stations, barely any trains run on a Sunday so you feel a bit stranded.

But 425k for a 1-bed flat is madness. I doubt that it will be any more than 700 sq ft, so well north of £500 p/sq ft. Even just a few years ago  you could have picked up something in a less fashionable part of central London for this price e.g. Pimlico.

HOLA449
10 minutes ago, Ah-so said:

Used to live in Streatham - it was going upmarket when I was there but that was more about property prices than facilities - it will always be more about LIDL that Waitrose. Traffic is a nightmare and while there are plenty of railway stations, barely any trains run on a Sunday so you feel a bit stranded.

But 425k for a 1-bed flat is madness. I doubt that it will be any more than 700 sq ft, so well north of £500 p/sq ft. Even just a few years ago  you could have picked up something in a less fashionable part of central London for this price e.g. Pimlico.

When I first moved to London you could get a 2 bed near oxford circus for 600k. That was only 8 years ago.

Edited by 999house

HOLA4410