House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrPin

Smart Meter

The power company has told me I'm getting a smart meter. Now I will be able to watch the meter go round from inside my house.

I think it wrong the Government is spending our money getting these things "rolled out", as the meters get changed every ten years or so anyway.

I've had one fitted. The readout crashes and I have to keep switching it off and on again. It's also a bit unintuitive to use. Also there doesn't seem to be a common standard between companies. I don't think the technology is ready yet.

Harumph, Herr Wijt van Man.

Let's see what plastic Maplin shite I get.:huh:

13 minutes ago, MrPin said:

The power company has told me I'm getting a smart meter. Now I will be able to watch the meter go round from inside my house.

I think it wrong the Government is spending our money getting these things "rolled out", as the meters get changed every ten years or so anyway.

They are not compulsory. They can't tell you that 'you are getting a smart meter'.

Just tell them that you don't want one/refuse to have one fitted and they will go away. You do not want one of these things in your house.

Just now, Errol said:

They are not compulsory. They can't tell you that 'you are getting a smart meter'.

Just tell them that you don't want one/refuse to have one fitted and they will go away. You do not want one of these things in your house.

I do want one. Meters get changed anyway, and you don't get a choice of style or colour.

Just now, MrPin said:

Meters get changed anyway, and you don't get a choice of style or colour.

Not true. You do get a choice - you can insist on having a non-smart one and the company must provide it. They can't make you have a 'smart' meter.

Just now, Errol said:

Not true. You do get a choice - you can insist on having a non-smart one and the company must provide it. They can't make you have a 'smart' meter.

Can you charge them for use of your internet connection? Or is it 4G/3G?

My landlord/Letting Agent sent a email round saying that we are not allowed smart meters or key meters and have to stay with the standard one already fitted

1 minute ago, Bossybabe said:

Can you charge them for use of your internet connection? Or is it 4G/3G?

It does not use your internet connection, or come in to use the toilet.:huh:

2 minutes ago, Monkey said:

My landlord/Letting Agent sent a email round saying that we are not allowed smart meters or key meters and have to stay with the standard one already fitted

Sensible man.

Had one fitted a couple of weeks ago - necessary to be part of a local community energy trial where I'll get a portion of my electricity more cheaply from a local hydro scheme. It has it's own mobile data connection. If nothing else, it's an improvement on the key meter. 

1 minute ago, spyguy said:

If its so smart it can install itself.

No. I'll have to take the day off, so somebody not too smart can put it in.

2 minutes ago, StainlessSteelCat said:

Had one fitted a couple of weeks ago - necessary to be part of a local community energy trial where I'll get a portion of my electricity more cheaply from a local hydro scheme. It has it's own mobile data connection. If nothing else, it's an improvement on the key meter. 

Indeed, with a key meter, after a time at Her Majesty's pleasure, your freezer may go off and destroy the evidence.

Not compulsory. Very little consumer benefit if any. Lots of data given up and remote control of your power. Great.

Privacy Info Sheets from Big Brother Watch (Smart Meters one of them).

Just wait till Digital Economy Bill (now passed) starts to kick in - every move you make... :ph34r:

This might backfire bigtime? I can imagine the engineer setting this up for an elderly lady. They'll end up even more scared to turn the heat on. I doubt it'll be able to account for winter fuel allowances.

The UK government has been accused of burying a report on its hated £11bn smart meters project by releasing revised spending data just hours after the election of Donald Trump.

The scheme will require energy suppliers to offer 53 million meters to homes and small businesses by 2020 and the implementation is to be rolled out in two phases.

A previous official report revealed that the overall benefit to consumers amounted to savings of £26 a year – or 7p per day.

But according to a report by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, first written in August, those consumer benefits have further diminished.

The Evening Standard found that benefits are now £415m lower than originally thought – just £11 per household in 2020

Smart meter benefits even crappier than originally thought (The Register)

2 hours ago, Alonso Quijano said:

Not compulsory. Very little consumer benefit if any. Lots of data given up and remote control of your power. Great.

Privacy Info Sheets from Big Brother Watch (Smart Meters one of them).

Just wait till Digital Economy Bill (now passed) starts to kick in - every move you make... :ph34r:

You don't think there is remote control of your power now ? :)