House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

Government finally spending £400M on housing for people living off the state

These ones always make me laugh, because there will be zero analysis.

369m on refurbishing one place. hmm.

Let's say it requires - extremely generously - 69m worth of materials. 300m would then employ 600 workers earning 50k each for *the ten years* they say it'll take.

Does it really require that much man power to sort it out?

Edited by Frugal Git

Its just click bait, the cost is peanuts comparing the real cost of having the owners housed there. Apart from that its to make sure plebs talk/think about them in dinner time, incase they forgot in their busy worklife.

The building is a national treasure, it attracts millions of tourist every year many from abroad who spend a lot of money here.

I would rather people vented their anger at the government with their help to buy scheme that gives the big builders far more money for rationing the supply and artifically putting up prices.

1 hour ago, brit1234 said:

The building is a national treasure, it attracts millions of tourist every year many from abroad who spend a lot of money here.

I would rather people vented their anger at the government with their help to buy scheme that gives the big builders far more money for rationing the supply and artifically putting up prices.

some sympathy for that view but the monarchy is the symbol of Britain as a feudal and rentier society ...with a focus on land and property ownership as the means to status and accomplishments rather than enterprise...they can pay for they own f#cking revamp.

As I pointed out in the thread on the cost of repairing the Houses of Parliament, probably only half of this is to be spent on the repairs. The rest is the new underground secret base and network of tunnels for our lizard-people overlords.

I was joking in that post. Now, I'm starting to wonder...

Edited by RentingForever

The stat that caught my eye was the fact that Buckinghamshire Palace has over 30,000 sqm of floorboards.

Basically, you could probably fit my entire flat in the royal underpants drawer.

1 hour ago, Wayward said:

some sympathy for that view but the monarchy is the symbol of Britain as a feudal and rentier society ...with a focus on land and property ownership as the means to status and accomplishments rather than enterprise...they can pay for they own f#cking revamp.

I think it is no secret that the Queen does not particularly like Buckingham Palace.  It's more a place for her to entertain visiting foreign dignitaries and to hold state functions than a home. She prefers to spend her time at Windsor Castle when in between London engagements.

Lots of hard work/effort going into raising 30 million for children in real need whilst Liz hits the free 370 million jackpot

sounds about right in our austerity uk

4 hours ago, brit1234 said:

How many tourist really come to Britain 'because royalty'.  I suspect its bull.  As frequently mentioned here, no royalty in France, Versailles the most visited palace in the world. Buck Pal doesn't even make the top twenty of UK Attractions.

There are plenty of people who come to the UK, the tourism argument no longer stands. 

The monarchy is a perfect example of inequality, if you are born in that inbred family you are looked after. 

I have worked since the age of 16, been made homeless twice, always paid my taxes and never recieved benefits and still not got on the property ladder. So it really ruffles my feathers when scum like the monarchy benefit from the deduction in my wages.

Get rid, is what I say.

7 hours ago, Maynardgravy said:

Cut the head off the snake

She'd only grow another one. Stake through the heart isn't it? Or a silver bullet, I forget.

Without going into the rights and wrongs of the royal family.

If private contractors simply were asked to bid for the project with not much interference from civil servants to bill would be a lot lower.

1 hour ago, reddog said:

Without going into the rights and wrongs of the royal family.

If private contractors simply were asked to bid for the project with not much interference from civil servants to bill would be a lot lower.

Quite

The scandal is the appalling wasteful nature of state managed projects in the UK not the fact the monarch benefits

Somehow I dont imagine that would change if we became a Republic.

26 minutes ago, Maynardgravy said:

Privatise the Royal family. If they're such a tourist pull they can keep all the buck house visitor money and pay for the ******ing renovation themselves.

Completely agree.

The refurbishment isn't so much an issue as the need to kick the owners out so we can get loads more money from tourists having a look round Liz's old bedroom. Then we can do a proper analysis on costs vs profit.