House Price Crash Forum
canbuywontbuy

Daily commute of two hours – reality for 3.7m UK workers

Numbers spending more than 120 minutes on move up by a third as stalled wages and costly housing stretch commute, says TUC

The number of workers who commute daily for two hours or more has increased by a third in five years, a study shows, with stagnant wages and soaring housing costs blamed for pushing people further away from their jobs.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/nov/18/daily-commute-of-two-hours-reality-for-37m-uk-workers

1hr each way isn't bad. Even living in central London it can take 30mins each way. 1hr from 30-40 miles outside London and back is fine.

Does anyone remember the stuff about the government telling the councils to set the traffic lights phasing so it caused maimum fuel usage a few years ago ?

It's hard to find an MSM article on it now.

I was surprised at the time the British public were not outraged.

3.7M people commuting to work for 2 hours = money in the governments coffers.

The evil parasites living off our backs are not stupid.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

4 minutes ago, canbuywontbuy said:

Millions of hours wasted everyday. 

Only wasted if you choose to waste them (which many do reading newspaper rubbish and surfing on their mobiles aimlessly).

If you read quality literature or study for a course, learn a language etc, you can get through a lot in 2hrs a day.

Errol

Only wasted if you choose to waste them (which many do reading newspaper rubbish and surfing on their mobiles aimlessly).

If you read quality literature or study for a course, learn a language etc, you can get through a lot in 2hrs a day.

I bet your daily drive to and from work is swervtastic!! :lol:

Edited by longtomsilver
Horrible forum software

Almost posted this one myself earlier - it's crazy for the wider economy.

I often work at a client site that is a good 2 hour commute both ways - and is tough as it means a minimum 12 hour day. (and it's frustrating in the morning as you spend your first 2 hours doing work-by-email rather than being able to talk to people)

Typically I only do this every now and again, which is fine.

But have done this for the odd 3, 4 or 5 day stretch and your productivity is crashing towards the end of the week.

Forcing people to travel this much is just creating 'lifestyle debt' where people are being paid but likely nowhere near as happy or productive as they could be.

I suppose it is not all houseprices, and some of the increasing centralisation around big cities that is doing some of the damage - but there has to be a better way of distributing our economy and creating workplaces that are decently manageable for people.

I think most people are OK with a commute of up to 40 minutes, 1.5h round trip.

One the commute goes above 1h the numbers drop off.

Just now, london_thirtythree said:

I suppose it is not all houseprices, and some of the increasing centralisation around big cities that is doing some of the damage - but there has to be a better way of distributing our economy and creating workplaces that are decently manageable for people.

I think this is half of the problem, everyone is in London, everyone feels they HAVE to be in London and be seen to be in London. Its all so centralised. Its bizarre really, in 2016 where most business can be done online, or over the phone, where everyone works remotely, that there should be such a focus on squeezing everyone into such a small space. 

My company encourages remote working.. on paper. Except it doesn't in reality, they freak out if people aren't sat at their desks, even if there is no reason to logically be there. There is a huge resistance to new ways of working.

17 minutes ago, Pieman Pieface said:

To be fair, I've lived in zone 2 of london , worked in zone 2 of london.. and STILL had a 2 hour commute every day. 

Isnt that the truth. Im done with London. Moving asap.

I live in NW England. My daily round trip commute is 3 - 3.5 hours now, and it's only 35 miles each way (to and from Manchester). By rail it takes the longest, but is least stressful. Car is maybe 30 minutes less in total, but super stressful due other congestion. I agree with the other poster - by Friday, my productivity has dropped through the floor due to being knackered. As a result, even though I like my job and the company are fantastic, I'm looking for something closer to home, even if it is less pay. It's simply not worth the quality of life reduction to keep it up, and unfortunately the only failing my current employer has is a blind spot regarding working from home (they want you the office 5 days a week, even though our remote working setup is excellent).

I spent 5 years battling my way in & out of London to the North Essex coast. I was near a physical and mental collapse towards the end. This Summer we relocated to Shropshire. I now spend less than an hour a day in total traveling. The reduction in salary has been more than offset by the improved quality of life. I now breakfast with the kids every morning, see them most evenings, get to walk the dog, and have a life. I don't understand how I lasted so long, but I will never do it again.

29 minutes ago, Errol said:

Not if you're driving though.

2 minutes ago, John The Pessimist said:

I spent 5 years battling my way in & out of London to the North Essex coast. I was near a physical and mental collapse towards the end. This Summer we relocated to Shropshire. I now spend less than an hour a day in total traveling. The reduction in salary has been more than offset by the improved quality of life. I now breakfast with the kids every morning, see them most evenings, get to walk the dog, and have a life. I don't understand how I lasted so long, but I will never do it again.

Had a family member spend around 5+ hours a day in traffic in London and driving was not his job it was just trying to get to the jobs 
he looked like crap, stressed and hated his job

Now he earns slightly less but works around 30 minutes from his home same job occupation but looks healthier and is so much less stressed 

I work from home and whilst i moan it can get lonely and it's easy to be lazy, i had a friend offer me some good advice who did the same job as me 

If your being lazy or unmotivated he would get in his car at rush hour go and sit in some traffic and look around at how unhappy everyone is and say if i don't get my work done this will be me one day

Its true when ever I'm stuck in traffic during rush hour i look around and everyone is sad

Pretty standard.

Been doing this most of my working life, well, between 1-2 hours commute per day.

Currently doing about 1.5 hours to do a whopping 25 miles round trip...oy vey.

Modern diesel sedan, bluetooth for the phone, loaded up MP3's and it's not the worst thing in the world.

At least you're not dealing with BO stinking snot dribbling pocket wankers on the public transit system.

A consequence of the catastrophic town planning acts and the sacred green belt...was this part of the vision?  That so many would be subjected to such misery driving or crossing by train this green moat around London every day...how much fuel is wasted...what is the point?

42 minutes ago, Errol said:

Says he with nearly 15000 posts on here. Or is that your job?

23 minutes ago, Pieman Pieface said:

My company encourages remote working.. on paper. Except it doesn't in reality, they freak out if people aren't sat at their desks, even if there is no reason to logically be there. There is a huge resistance to new ways of working.

Same here, although I think it's inevitable that remote working (not necessarily from home) will become normal once the older control freak managers thin out. Not everyone can work remotely, for example if you're in a tiny flat-share you probably don't want to, or you live in one of the still-plentiful places with poor internet access.

For the last twenty years my commute by car has been short enough that in winter the engine is not warmed up by the time I get to work. I could have increased my salary by moving around more but I think it's a great deal. Occasionally I go to our London office about 30 miles away which is a two-hour trip door-to-door, and I think how do people do this every day? I hope I never have to.

I dont think Ive had a daily commute of less than 1h20mins each way in the last 15 years. Only an hour each way would be pure luxury for me TBH. Current commute is minimum 2 hours each way and I've been doing that for over a year.

Edited by goldbug9999

50 minutes ago, Errol said:

Thats true, if you can get a seat on a train.. which makes you one of the lucky few.

Don't expect it to get better. If people are prepared to put up with it then it'll happen, particularly for the poorer. Making travel faster or easier will just push the distances further, pushing the poorer people further out of convenient and / or pleasant places to live and make it more feasible for jobs to pack up and move to a more centralised location. Beware anyone who says travel needs to be "improved" by making it faster (trying to avoid the decline due to stupidly having ever-more people is slightly different).

Some distance (both in time and space, probably mostly time, everything else being equal) between work and home is a good idea though. And a journey that's slow just because it doesn't go fast is nowhere near as soul-grinding as one that's slow because everything is busy and delayed.

I do 4 hours each way - but only on one day of the week. The rest of the week I work from home.  The bulk of the journey is a 3 hour train ride where I always have a seat and usually at a table. I work - and then grab back those hours usually on a Friday. 

A guy I know at work does 2 hours each way everyday. 20 hours/week commuting. That's bloody insane.