House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saving For a Space Ship

Tesla’s solar roof to cost less than a regular roof even before energy production

Possible I suppose, depends what you are comparing it with. No doubt the comparison will be with the most expensive roof types, all too of US use bitumen shingle which is dirt cheap so a solar roof or otherwise would not be comparable. Huge amount of material to lug around and get into place. The design must be pretty good to get around connection complexity issues and having too many separate look up points - any couple roof layout would increase the fit cost significantly.

You have to admit, Elon musk does seem to be quite the visionary, I always keep an eye on what he's doing.

I read somewhere about someone who has developed solar tarmac, turning roads into generators. Haven't heard anything about it recently though. I might have a Google for it.

8 minutes ago, ccc said:

How is this possible ?! Dubious. Then again I don't have a Scooby.

He seems to be saying that current rooves are heavy and fragile. His new roof is lighter and stronger, so cheaper to transport and less likely to break in transit.

I've no idea if it stacks up. 

27 minutes ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

I wondered why more roofs are not made of tile look alike metal skinned Pir insulated panels, like kingspan  .

spoke to a couple of roofers, got no definitve answer  

I think that sometimes things are done the way they're done because that's the way they're done. :)

42 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

He seems to be saying that current rooves are heavy and fragile. His new roof is lighter and stronger, so cheaper to transport and less likely to break in transit.

At a price that will make your eyes and pockets bleed!

53 minutes ago, ccc said:

How is this possible ?! Dubious. Then again I don't have a Scooby.

As per the usual crap he comes out with, its a concept a schoolboy might imagine...and the people making the things in the real world didnt make the claim.

32 minutes ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

I wondered why more roofs are not made of tile look alike metal skinned Pir insulated panels, like kingspan  .

OK maybe for new build but would not work with most existing build - far too thick to work with roof geometries without causing lots of fit issues or affect cosmetic look too much. PIR works OK with flat roofing but then needs single fibreglass or single sheet membrane, anything interlocking would leak.

49 minutes ago, Reebo said:

You have to admit, Elon musk does seem to be quite the visionary, I always keep an eye on what he's doing.

I read somewhere about someone who has developed solar tarmac, turning roads into generators. Haven't heard anything about it recently though. I might have a Google for it.

Cheaper brake pads.

Current ones are heavy and clunky.

New ones will be a slice of toast.

Cheap is fcking easy.

Stopping the driver getting crushed when it rolls is fcking hard.

41 minutes ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Kingspan life - an optimistic 40 years.

Concrete or slate tiles - over 100 years

"Modern" construction methods are generally intended for commercial and retail developments, with an expected life of 50-60 years (look at the number of 1950s/60s developments being pulled down now to make way for new developments - it just becomes too expensive to keep extending the life of these buildings).

Residential buildings tend to be around for much longer, and traditional construction methods allow this longer life.

36 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

I think that sometimes things are done the way they're done because that's the way they're done. :)

My thoughts entirely. Get the impression there's a lot of things like roofs (rooves?) which could be seriously improved if someone took the time.

Hopefully Elon Musk will move onto making toasters next.

1 hour ago, SpectrumFX said:

And fly away further in a tornado?

15 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

My thoughts entirely. Get the impression there's a lot of things like roofs (rooves?) which could be seriously improved if someone took the time.

Hopefully Elon Musk will move onto making toasters next.

A roof that keeps the weather off for over a century is doing a pretty decent job IMO.

If you desperately want solar panels then the obvious place for them are all those empty supermarket, warehouse, factory, and office roofs. Most of them are flat to begin with so you don't need to worry about them not pointing in a useful direction for starters.

He gives extraordinarily little information to back up his claims.  

I suppose there are enough believers to get the investment to continue to production...

I have been keeping an eye on the solar panel market - basically there is a dearth of solar panel companies in the world right now basically undercutting each other to stay in business.

The two big US players are Solar City, which Tesla has just bought, which sells to the home market and First Solar who sell solar farms to companies and countries. Tesla bought Solar City a few months ago when a Clinton win looked likely and it seemed like there would be loads of money coming in terms of grants for solar panel firms.

But now Trump is in, and all his talk of coal and putting miners to work, the share price of solar companies have plunged.

I suspect Musk is trying to drum up business and justify this purchase of Solar City.

On 18/11/2016 at 10:38 AM, Hail the Tripod said:

Isn't his business model primarily about sucking in government subsidies? It'll probably cheaper for the consumer, but expensive for various government departments.

Wot he said.