House Price Crash Forum

recycled mobile numbers/deluded scrapper birds II

DEATH

HOLA441

Just got a new EE sim. Online PAYG SIM deal, £15pm for 4GB, 250mins... might not be the best deal but they have the coverage in the areas I need it.

I wont be keeping the number, at some point I will port my main number to it but within 30mins of sticking the SIM in I started getting calls, texts and voicemails.

Natalie apparently has been calling "Carl" twice an hour for the past 2 years despite not getting any response at all. I presume the old number was dead for a while before EE re-issued it to a new victim. The texts are from Wimbledon Greyhound track offering Carl free drinks, food, entrance, etc.

I texted Nat telling her it was a recycled number and maybe she should give up on Carl after all this time. She replied within 60 seconds asking me if I could call her about it. Googled how to turn off voicemail, easiest way is to go into the additional call settings on your phone and disable all diverts. Disabling voicemail is difficult but this stops anything even getting to voicemail!

Should I have asked for her picture and sought out Carl's sloppy seconds?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Maybe she sent the texts a few months / years ago and they are only just arriving now as the number is live again. She probably thinks you're Carl playing games and have decided to stop ignoring her after all this time.

If it's an Android just block her number, not sure if you can on an iPhone.

HOLA448

This is hysterical - and has possibilities.

Why not ring her up and explain that you and Carl are an item. Tell her that you begged Carl to come out to her but his macho nature, you know how he is, just could not bring himself to do it. But you can't keep living a lie knowing that you are in a relationship that is causing her so much hurt.

Then end the call by saying that both you and Carl are bi... and that if she is open to the possibility...

HOLA449
23 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Why not ring her up and explain that you and Carl are an item. Tell her that you begged Carl to come out to her but his macho nature, you know how he is, just could not bring himself to do it. But you can't keep living a lie knowing that you are in a relationship that is causing her so much hurt.

Then end the call by saying that both you and Carl are bi... and that if she is open to the possibility...

LOL 
That's mean.
But could be so funny. Record it.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
36 minutes ago, John The Pessimist said:

Carl could now have transitioned to Carla, but you're open minded if she is.......

I was just wondering, if she did say that she was open to a 3-some, how it would be possible to convince her that someone else was Carl. I was thinking along the lines of some awful accident resulting in plastic surgery or the Blackadder bag on the head... but Carla works too.

HOLA4412

Random - I just found out two days ago from a bloke in the o2 shop that numbers get recycled - I had no idea.

I've also found out it's not possible to 'cancel' an o2 payg number. Very annoying. 

HOLA4413
5 minutes ago, ccc said:

Random - I just found out two days ago from a bloke in the o2 shop that numbers get recycled - I had no idea.

I've also found out it's not possible to 'cancel' an o2 payg number. Very annoying. 

This explains why the profile photo for an elderly female friend of mine on whatsapp is now a 30ish bloke with two young kids.

HOLA4414
2 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

From the original description though, it sounds like she would already know this....

Leave well alone.

Remove the sim card, place in a (metal) bin, cover in lighter fuel and burn.

It;s the only way to be sure.

HOLA4415

Landline numbers get "recycled" too. When we last had one we got no end of calls from debt collection agencies for people with improbable names who probably never even existed in the first place.

Indeed in one house we rented, we plugged the handset into the socket and, I kid you not, the first call came within seconds. It was so bad that after a couple of weeks we unplugged it and left it unplugged.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

stock-photo-angry-businessman-with-cross

My number was an ex-accident emergency number - I get calls every 5 minutes! Angry!

^ of course, can you imagine the folded arms of angry daily hate readers. But they bought their homes years ago (sweeping generalisation, sorry for breathing and sorry for being alive, sorry for being born etc... hate my life etc.. ) and don't move, like "renters" that move every 6 months, so they won't get this problem. :)

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
6 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

I thought it was common knowledge, I've know about it for around 15 years. It pretty obvious when you think that there are only about 100 million possible different mobile numbers so recycling is unavoidable.

We are not all geniuses like yourself ffs !!:wacko:

HOLA4420
9 hours ago, DTMark said:

Landline numbers get "recycled" too. When we last had one we got no end of calls from debt collection agencies for people with improbable names who probably never even existed in the first place.

Indeed in one house we rented, we plugged the handset into the socket and, I kid you not, the first call came within seconds. It was so bad that after a couple of weeks we unplugged it and left it unplugged.

Many years ago our home number got given out wrongly to a bunch of people. So we had a new number. That was fun. We received fax calls in the middle of the night. Couldn't get anyone to stop it so swapped for another number. That was someone else's old number and we had quite a few calls for them. Third was the charm though. Took a lot of shouting at BT though. 

HOLA4421

Hmm here's another rainmaker free idea.

Someone could create an app that resells these numbers. There must be a huge second hand market - just like second hand mobile phones.

---

Each number has a value. If you get zero calls in 3 months then it could be worth £100.

Easy to remember numbers, obviously are more valuable.

Some bloggers who like trolling people may want a number that get's lots of calls so they can get popular trolling the callers.

HOLA4422
10 hours ago, DTMark said:

Had 4 years worth of debt collector calls on my 'new' number I was allocated when I moved in. Given that numbers are only reused after 12months that's some persistence on the collection agencies side.

They tried to insist I gave them my name and address before they would remove my number. No chance.

Dropped off now finally.

Archived