House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ccc

Housing crisis and immigration

First of all - we all know there are many reasons this country has a ******ed up housing crisis.

However mass immigration and a population increasing by almost 400k people a year - and that's official figures - is clearly having a massive affect. 

I just watched BBC main news. 5 minute first piece on our housing crisis. Then another 2 minutes of pundit chat. 

Not a SINGLE mention of population growth or immigration.

I know it's the BBC and all but ffs. 

Even after the Brexit vote - do they still think if they simply don't mention it the rest of us won't realise what's going on ?

It's been ridiculous for a long time but it's getting beyond belief. This country has become a parody of itself.

Anyway needed that off my chest - rant over !!!

PS - This is a rant about housing, immigration and population, Brexit in its entirety has its own huge thread. So please keep on topic if anyone bothers to reply !!

most of the #VileBBC staff are balls deep in the people farming business, so aren't about to tell their cattle all about the slaughterhouse are they. keep watching your cookery shows and the apprentice and shut the f*ck up, serf.

Edited by thewig

+1 thewig

For years/decades the said broadcasting corporation have been salivating over increases in prices..(due to all sorts of reasons)

Today, this issue gets prominent position on the evening news!!!

Now I don't wish to be cynical here but is there an agenda to prompt our new chancellor to introduce yet another 'Help' scheme - the consequences of which are usually an increase in demand yet again!!

Words fail me

The EU was never to blame for UK being a magnet for immigration. It was the bloated benefits, housing benefits and tax credit system, none of which are mandated by the EU, and all of which simply exist to create house price inflation and BTL profit. Nothing will change. They can't afford to let immigration fall. Boris Johnson has admitted as much. 

The thing that makes me dubious about a particularly strong link with immigration is that for however long there has been net migration, I assume those migrants are not evenly dispersed around the country. Yet prices have relatively gone mental everywhere for 15 years, and that can't all be some amazing London ripple.

Scotland has seen large hpi as well despite static population.  supply and demand have almost nothing to do with UK house prices, it's just one giant debt bubble.

1 minute ago, Deft said:

The thing that makes me dubious about a particularly strong link with immigration is that for however long there has been net migration, I assume those migrants are not evenly dispersed around the country. Yet prices have relatively gone mental everywhere for 15 years, and that can't all be some amazing London ripple.

Disagree.

Even in my economucally depressed hometown thereare lots of EEers.

You dont need a proper job to qualify.

Just 16h on the tills or some made up ****** and you qualify.

1 hour ago, ccc said:

Not a SINGLE mention of population growth or immigration.

We had this conversation where I work - population growth seemed to be affecting all of us. I'm talking about negative effects.

I couldn't find a half decent rental at the low end of the market at anywhere near a fair price - all taken.

Somebody couldn't get their kid in the same school as her sister - full up.

Somebody couldn't get a hospital bed for their very sick wife - full up.

Somebody couldn't get a NHS Dentist - full up.

Somebody's commute to work was getting longer and longer - roads full up.

Etc. Etc. Etc. Maybe all those are not exclusively due to population growth but :

This is the most important policy to get right. Our Politicians should have been onto this years ago, but were not able or willing to do anything.

Now it's too late, I hope good may come out of the Brexit/ Trump votes - it may let our elected know that they work for us.

Edited by frankief

10 minutes ago, Deft said:

I'm not just talking prices here - more availability.

9 minutes ago, Upabove said:

Scotland has seen large hpi as well despite static population.  supply and demand have almost nothing to do with UK house prices, it's just one giant debt bubble.

As above - we are not simply talking prices here - it's availability. 

And some areas of Scotland have had huge amounts of immigration - and shock horror - housing has become a nightmare in these places that it wasn't before.

25 minutes ago, ingermany said:

The EU was never to blame for UK being a magnet for immigration. It was the bloated benefits, housing benefits and tax credit system, none of which are mandated by the EU, and all of which simply exist to create house price inflation and BTL profit. Nothing will change. They can't afford to let immigration fall. Boris Johnson has admitted as much. 

All of the above certainly helped make things worse - but to think we wouldn't have still had a huge influx of EE without them is incredibly naive imo. The numbers would still have been huge.

It's like imagining the US opening up its borders to Mexico but making it clear no benefits would ever be paid. It's the wage difference that is key. 

On top of that we appear to have incredibly easy visas to get here for commonwealth citizens. I can't see any other way I have seen a massive increase in - I assume - Commonwealth citizens being allowed to come here to do things such as drive minicabs or clean houses. 

Edited by ccc

8 minutes ago, frankief said:

We had this conversation where I work - population growth seemed to be affecting all of us. I'm talking about negative effects.

I couldn't find a half decent rental at the low end of the market at anywhere near a fair price - all taken.

Somebody couldn't get their kid in the same school as her sister - full up.

Somebody couldn't get a hospital bed for their very sick wife - full up.

Somebody couldn't get a NHS Dentist - full up.

Somebody's commute to work was getting longer and longer - roads full up.

Etc. Etc. Etc. Maybe all those are not exclusively due to population growth but :

This is the most important policy to get right. Our Politicians should have been onto this years ago, but were not able or willing to do anything.

Now it's too late, I hope good may come out of the Brexit/ Trump votes - it may let our elected know that they work for us.

Yep - it appears the single taboo subject left in this country today. 

Trans ? Fine 

Gay ? Fire on let's have a discussion

Depression ? Let's talk more about this

Immigration and population growth ?

SILENCE

Draw a graph of interest rates against income multiples and the two lines will cross around about the year 2004.

Its called paying more for the same.

The same thing as happening with the automotive sector where they have discovered that it is easier to rent you a car than try to sell it.

Remembered asking how much a certain new nissan was years ago and the car salesman wouldn't give a price and kept saying how much can you afford to pay/month, I repeated the question 3 times and then walked out.

The other thing is that the UK population has grown by around 5% over the last 10 years give or take a bit. How are we now at some mad scarcity of services / availability / ? Everything now full because of an extra person per 20? Think this is government policy in action rather than bursting to the seams.

30 minutes ago, ccc said:

It's like imagining the US opening up its borders to Mexico but making it clear no benefits would ever be paid. It's the wage difference that is key.

Sounds good but it's a false argument.  Firstly the wage differential between Mexico and the US is far far greater than between the UK and Poland et al, and secondly to all intents and purposes the US does have an open door to Mexican immigrants.  Large parts of the country have an official policy of not enforcing the immigration laws and just let people come in and work.

Thirdly, that doesn't explain why the UK is preferred over Germany or the Netherlands.

Interesting replies..

It looks like my reply was a bit off topic.. but the news bulletin prompted it- hence the media related moan .

That news bulletin was focused on this area (Dagenham) for those that have not seen the discussion on this ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0803b8x

As the original post stated...This is a rant about housing, immigration and population

So the bbc, which for years has been broadcasting the most blatant property market ramping, BTL ramping programme ever to be seen on our tv screens, full of laughably fraudulent figures for expenses involved and profits to be made from "investing in property" (I am of course talking about HUTH)... is now, all of a sudden, reporting on a housing unaffordability crisis.

Oh the irony.

1 hour ago, Deft said:

The other thing is that the UK population has grown by around 5% over the last 10 years give or take a bit. How are we now at some mad scarcity of services / availability / ? Everything now full because of an extra person per 20? Think this is government policy in action rather than bursting to the seams.

That's fine if you believe official population figures. 

1 hour ago, thecrashingisles said:

Sounds good but it's a false argument.  Firstly the wage differential between Mexico and the US is far far greater than between the UK and Poland et al, and secondly to all intents and purposes the US does have an open door to Mexican immigrants.  Large parts of the country have an official policy of not enforcing the immigration laws and just let people come in and work.

Thirdly, that doesn't explain why the UK is preferred over Germany or the Netherlands.

We speak English. And you clearly haven't been to Germany or Netherlands recently either - swamped with immigration too. Hence the rise of their anti mass immigration parties.

1 hour ago, ******** said:

Interesting replies..

It looks like my reply was a bit off topic.. but the news bulletin prompted it- hence the media related moan .

That news bulletin was focused on this area (Dagenham) for those that have not seen the discussion on this ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0803b8x

As the original post stated...This is a rant about housing, immigration and population

The media just don't want to face up to the obvious.

1 hour ago, nome said:

So the bbc, which for years has been broadcasting the most blatant property market ramping, BTL ramping programme ever to be seen on our tv screens, full of laughably fraudulent figures for expenses involved and profits to be made from "investing in property" (I am of course talking about HUTH)... is now, all of a sudden, reporting on a housing unaffordability crisis.

Oh the irony.

Good point. This will be lost on them though. These people just need more 'help' to buy. 

Even if there is double or triple the official increase in total population, I don't see that the country should have imploded. The endless anecdotes of everything going to shit can't solely be because of a 5-15% in people. Confirmation bias and/or spurious correlation.

Does my sub text "Why daren't the media mention it" apply to hpc too ?

Why has a thread about the impact of immigration and population growth on housing demand in the UK been moved to current affairs from the main forum ?! 

This is a main news story today.  There are lots of housing related stories but I can't remember any recently on this specific subject.

1 minute ago, Deft said:

Even if there is double or triple the official increase in total population, I don't see that the country should have imploded. The endless anecdotes of everything going to shit can't solely be because of a 5-15% in people. Confirmation bias and/or spurious correlation.

It's not imploded - yet. But it's on the way. 

I am still shocked by some people on here who think huge population growth in the uk has nothing to do with our housing issues. It's incredible.

Think about a football stadium with x number of seats and a capacity. If you keep on letting people in trying to find a seat is going to get harder and harder. It's not rocket science.

That's unless you continually add sections with more seats. We certainly are not. Another question is - should we even be ? 

A reduction in this countries population would solve a multitude of issues.