House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

workingpoor

UK Tornado's

We had a 20 to 30 minute spell in Swansea mid-morning that was just crazy weather. We had the kind of heavy rainfall that you get in tropical climates. Incredibly large, heavy rain-drops smashing into the ground, cars, buildings. 

At the same time the wind was whipping up and blowing all over the place. Thunder and lightning.

It just came out of no-where and then was gone in half an hour. I went on to raintoday and saw that mid-Wales was getting it even worse.

26 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

We had a 20 to 30 minute spell in Swansea mid-morning that was just crazy weather. We had the kind of heavy rainfall that you get in tropical climates. Incredibly large, heavy rain-drops smashing into the ground, cars, buildings. 

At the same time the wind was whipping up and blowing all over the place. Thunder and lightning.

It just came out of no-where and then was gone in half an hour. I went on to raintoday and saw that mid-Wales was getting it even worse.

We had similar to that here in Kent about an hour ago.. Is it heading East?

Maybe one of our resident meteorologists/climatologists can explain something I've never really understood.... I was always under the impression that warmer air had more 'energy' in it, so how come we get our most severe weather in terms of wind speeds, storms, rainfall etc in the winter months when the air is coldest?

4 minutes ago, nome said:

Maybe one of our resident meteorologists/climatologists can explain something I've never really understood.... I was always under the impression that warmer air had more 'energy' in it, so how come we get our most severe weather in terms of wind speeds, storms, rainfall etc in the winter months when the air is coldest?

All rain, storms, etc, are the result of cold air and warm meeting at some point. The result is air moving upwards, drawing moisture in to create clouds and then storms. Just because we do not have warm air anywhere near us currently does not mean that cold air and warm air have not interacted together somewhere over the Atlantic, releasing loads of energy and the results have come rushing towards us.

I am just popping out so can't go into more detail right now. But that is basically it. All around the planet warm and cold air is constantly swirling, moving and when they interact with one another we get various resulting weather events.

Thanks for the reply TMT.. it still doesn't fully make sense to me though, I'm not just referring to the UK but more on a global scale.. the fact that in general winter storms are more frequent and more severe than summer storms even though the whole hemisphere has cooler, less ''energetic'' air in winter?

Unless my assumption that ''warm air contains more energy'' is not accurate?

25 minutes ago, nome said:

Thanks for the reply TMT.. it still doesn't fully make sense to me though, I'm not just referring to the UK but more on a global scale.. the fact that in general winter storms are more frequent and more severe than summer storms even though the whole hemisphere has cooler, less ''energetic'' air in winter?

The available energy is given by the difference in temperatures.  The warm air comes from equatorial regions, which don't have seasons as we think of them in temperate regions.  Air in the temperate regions tends to be colder in winter than summer, hence on average more energy is available in winter to make winds, etc.

But we're a bit complicated in the UK as we've got this massive amount of water to the west also holding warmth brought from equatorial regions (the gulf stream), so our weather tends be a bit all over the place.

14 minutes ago, nome said:

I think you will find that there are many parts of the world where they get far more storms in the summer than in the winter. Off the top of my head the tornado season in the US is from April till around June. The Hurricane season is from Juneish through to end of November. Two examples where the summer months bring powerful storms and torrential downpours.

Or what about here in Europe. Look at recent years and the massive storms over Central Europe which has resulted in mass flooding in places like Germany, Czech Republic, etc, etc.

The typhoon season is from May to October.

Good grief. Just had an enormous explosion of water here again. Huge claps of thunder and my room lit up despite closed curtains.

I feel like the sentry on watch for you guys. It is coming your way.

There are loads of factors that are involved in 'weather' - air temp, water temp, the polar ice, deserts, mountain ranges, the Sun, the Moon, the Earth's rotation, sea currents, etc, etc and, perhaps, even us.

Did I mention cows f*rting?

It basically is cold air and warm air mixing. We don't tend to have the extremes of cold and warm weather meeting each other here in the UK. The Atlantic and the Gulf Stream, as dgul mentioned, helps us here enormously. But saying that, just because the temperature might not feel too cold or too hot to us at any given time the difference in temperature when two weather fronts meet is all that matters when it comes to storm creation.

The UK has been enjoying some pretty mild weather in recent weeks - only in the past few days have many people begun to feel the cold but, even though people are now feeling the cold, the air temperature is still much warmer than the cold front that has been coming down from the north. The result when these two different fronts meet is cold air sinking under the warmer air pushing it up to such in moisture and create storm clouds.

Really cold air is very dry can't hold much moisture. The hotter the air the more water it can soak up. Which is why they say we are going to see storms that keep breaking records. If Global warming is really true. 

I am in the Gulf of Mexico now and it doesn't feel as cold as previous years for Mid Nov. Still potential for some bad weather to work its way over to you.    

Thanks for your weather, you Welsh gits!:blink: I just heard some thunder.

1 hour ago, Stateless said:

Really cold air is very dry can't hold much moisture. The hotter the air the more water it can soak up. Which is why they say we are going to see storms that keep breaking records. If Global warming is really true. 

I am in the Gulf of Mexico now and it doesn't feel as cold as previous years for Mid Nov. Still potential for some bad weather to work its way over to you.    

We now know that climate change was invented by the Chinese in order to destroy American jobs, so you can safely and bigly ignore the weather outside.

19 hours ago, nome said:

Energy needs to equalise out .. so very energerific air moves to less energerific air area, mixes, loses energy by sharing. 

19 hours ago, Captain Cavey said:

We now know that climate change was invented by the Chinese in order to destroy American jobs, so you can safely and bigly ignore the weather outside.

He's an idiot it was Thatcher that invented it

Remember when the big thing was Acid Rain and the whole world would be sort of dissolved by all that sulphur, followed by the ozone hole, and climate changes pre-cursor global warming. We even had the coming of the next ice-age slotted in somewhere.

Hopefully the human race will disappear up its own backside due a nasty virus (probably man-made) or general mong induced drug resistance before the planet is completely cooked by Satan 2 or some out of control experiment in Switzerland.

1 hour ago, ChewingGrass said:

Remember when the big thing was Acid Rain and the whole world would be sort of dissolved by all that sulphur, followed by the ozone hole, and climate changes pre-cursor global warming. We even had the coming of the next ice-age slotted in somewhere.

Hopefully the human race will disappear up its own backside due a nasty virus (probably man-made) or general mong induced drug resistance before the planet is completely cooked by Satan 2 or some out of control experiment in Switzerland.

Late 70`s early 80`s IIRC

1 hour ago, ChewingGrass said:

Humanity will be wiped out due to a British medic deciding that they are above washing their hands - or something like that?