House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ash4781

Snapchat IPO

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37995890

Snapchat looks set for $25bn IPO. I don't know what it is but is vastly popular in reported 13-24 age group. I think it's a way of communicating via photograph / picture and the company fires ads/ harvests your data? Still looking at the reported demographic Facebook will need to try to get this one (they failed last time).

Thanks, I had overlooked that one.

The general market (SP500, NASDAQ) is bullish, but some of the leaders show indifference - FB, AMZN, TSLA,

No one is talking about the stock market, even stock market forums are dying. But when the pendulum swings the other way, and it does go viral - way hay!; a great time to be on the comet. You have to look far ahead, and see the routes the mass mind might take.

If you don't mind I will link this thread to my dotcom thread:

Snapchat is heavily linked to youtubers - 1000s get added increasing the viralness of popularity.

"Be sure to add me to snapchat"

Oh no 200p has linked another video into a HPC thread - yawn! No wait, if you want to profit from the future, then you need to research in what people are into. This chap is on the current trend of hiding in places overnight without getting caught. "planking" is sooo yesterday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_phenomena

1 hour ago, Ash4781 said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37995890

Snapchat looks set for $25bn IPO. I don't know what it is but is vastly popular in reported 13-24 age group. I think it's a way of communicating via photograph / picture and the company fires ads/ harvests your data? Still looking at the reported demographic Facebook will need to try to get this one (they failed last time).

I didn't know what it was until I was invited to it by a younger millennial.

I do wonder about these things.  As far as I can see there is a lifetime to these social media companies -- as soon as the next generation realise that the tech belongs to the previous generation then it is dropped.  Facebook and Twitter have survived well because they're now filled with the older generations...  I'd expect any other social media to last about 10 years.

On a different note, I see younger people being increasingly aware of the value of their data to marketing etc -- there seems to be the start of a push of resistance to this.  How this pans out is difficult to see, but it probably won't be a neo-Luddite movement in the 12-18 age range... still, you never know...

Don't really see what it does that the likes of WhatsApp doesn't.

Well I do - one thing is the pics are only temporary so lots use them for dirty pics or random other stuff.

However - the vast majority using it will be aware you can get other apps that allow you to save these pics - making the entire Snapchat idea a bit defunct imo.

What the demise of Bebo, MySpace etc has told us is that there's ultimately only room for one of a particular type of app, and if I were a betting man I'd reckon it'd be WhatsApp that survives.

Never had a reason to use Snapchat, and I was speaking to my cousin who is early teens (who is a real social media addict) and he said he only uses it about once a month.

On 17/11/2016 at 8:02 AM, 200p said:

Snapchat is heavily linked to youtubers - 1000s get added increasing the viralness of popularity.

"Be sure to add me to snapchat"

Oh no 200p has linked another video into a HPC thread - yawn! No wait, if you want to profit from the future, then you need to research in what people are into. This chap is on the current trend of hiding in places overnight without getting caught. "planking" is sooo yesterday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_phenomena

UPDATE

Spot the trend before it gets big - he got into national news for staying overnight at Old Trafford

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38076716