House Price Crash Forum

Best Antivirus Recommendations please

man o' the year

HOLA441

I would be grateful for recommendations in the following situation. - I had given up on new laptop for daughter when John Lewis put price up by £100 last week and she would have one of my cast offs with dodgy keyboard but today is back down to £500 as before (an i7 which I feel she will need to void frustration in the future). so purchase is made and question is which antivirus? (Windows 10 by the way)

I am an AVG fan but the constant nagging to purchase extensions in recent free versions puts me off and could lead her to making a purchase without need or meaning to.

So it needs to be secure, thorough, fool proof, easy to update and free. I know I am stingy ****** but have managed myself with no problems or outlay for years so why pay for what is available for free.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

If you are running Windows, the built in Defender, is better than nothing. Still you can't stop people clicking on dodgy links in emails from somebody you never heard of.:o

HOLA446
HOLA447
1 minute ago, Bossybabe said:

I use Malwarebytes and Spybot, both free. 

Tightwad, and you are too old to have a computer! Why not darn socks instead?

HOLA448

If you are a bt customer then you can download their antivirus from your account. I think, without going to the computer, that it is macaffee (apologies for speeling)   I'm no expert by any stretch but it seems to work away in the background and I've not noticed any slowing down. I got rid of avg free as it was an incredible drag on speed

HOLA449

I sympathise..  I use AVG and have started getting similarly fed up with the constant nag screens.

Now MS have gone down the apple route of constant annoying updates and patches and reboots we might as well enjoy the only benefit of better security by binning off the surplus antivirus software.

I don't think I've had a virus for about a decade!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
25 minutes ago, libspero said:

I sympathise..  I use AVG and have started getting similarly fed up with the constant nag screens.

Now MS have gone down the apple route of constant annoying updates and patches and reboots we might as well enjoy the only benefit of better security by binning off the surplus antivirus software.

My daughter did a couple of weeks ago funny enough and I got great help from bods on offtopic. 

HOLA4412
26 minutes ago, libspero said:

I recommend Spybot Anti Beacon to prevent the MS snooping.

HOLA4413
7 minutes ago, SirGaz said:

I did use AVG and avast but the nagware got on my nerves, I now use Panda. No nagging yet (six months in).

I had thought of Panda but had bad experience when a friend had installed it on new computer on top of another anti virus program. It was hell to get rid of - took me a few hours. perhaps I will give it another chance as clean install.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

This whole looking for "what's up to date enough to protect me thing", and Windows 10, is pretty much what pushed me on to Linux on my laptop (disclaimer: I was already very familiar with the Linux/UNIX ecosystem - on a day to day basis). Especially seeing as I didn't have the appetite to fund an expensive (and IMO, in terms of longevity/, finite) Apple purchase.

Although a generally happy Windows user, until a new laptop with W10, all of the constant enforced operating system updates and antivirus versions became too much for me. Just to do the basics of email, looking at the web and shopping, or whatever, but having to constantly consider, before any purchase, if my AV was up to date, or when the last scan I'd done etc was too much of an annoyance for me.

You, or at least I did, also see the stories about the antivirus you're trusting to protect you (that you've chosen to use because, for one reason or the other, you didn't like the alternatives), talk about selling user behaviour (what does that involve?) stats:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/14/avg_anon_data_brokering_analysis/

and think there must be a better way of being able to achieve what I need, security with a degree of privacy, without an underlying need for real time paranoia.

Anyway, like I say though, I am/was already familiar with the Linux or non-microsoft/Apple alternatives. I can imagine that learning "new stuff" isn't really enticing for others, in a computer sense. Maybe if/when they get stung, and start thinking about why, and how to shrink the chances of similar things happening again they'll be more inclined to consider other options. 

With all of this though, if using Windows, I certainly agree with the suggestion of others that have mentioned the use of Malwarebytes. I've seen it pickup things other AV have missed, I also currently use it on Android.

HOLA4424
1 hour ago, oracle said:

AVAST still do quite a decent free antivirus

Avast keeps rather aggressively pushing Chrome, and has, completely unasked-for, installed some other stuff with itself once or twice; its behaviour isn't too far off the viruses it's supposed to protect from sometimes.

HOLA4425

Archived