House Price Crash Forum
fru-gal

Will there be an exodus from the UK following Brexit?

Just got curious as to whether people think or have experience of their friends/colleagues/family thinking about leaving the UK because of Brexit? I know quite a few younger people who are now going back to their original country or other EU countries as they don't feel wanted here anymore and feel the atmosphere has changed since Brexit. I guess for a lot of low earning immigrants the pull is the generous welfare system, but how many will be going to other countries now as being an immigrant in the UK will get harder and attitudes seem to have hardened somewhat. Any anecdotes from esteemed readers?

Pubs I frequent have been quieter of late.  A Wetherspoons in an affluent Thames Valley town with lots of EU workers in the IT industry seems to be particularly badly affected.  It used to be full of younger EU workers, they seem less obvious now.

Become quite close to an Italian couple, both professionals, in their 2nd year here.

They were spooked by Brexit and decided they should leave, but they now realise the UK isn't anti foreigners, just against the EU, and they are too to be fair.

The last time I spoke with them they said they need to leave because of their family, but after a bit of a debate they both confessed they can't really agree on when or how. My wife and I both agree they're enjoying life too much here. He is always asking me when we are doing our next pub night, and she is having the time of her life with things in general. Never thought it could be more fun here than in Italy (Milan), but seemingly they seem to think it is.

6 minutes ago, Errol said:

Hopefully, yes.

Fingers crossed.

Well, at least you aren't being emotionally dishonest like most.

BREXIT won't have any significant effect on immigration. Have you not figured that out yet? All these doctors, engineers, etc.. who you lot seem to be OK with in this post BREXIT realised Utopian fantasy world will still be bringing their families, and their kids will be having kids, etc...

It also won't change the dynamic of the political and elite class which is actually the underlying problem here. sic

BREXIT and politics is like playing Russian roulette with a glock 9. It's already unseated one prime minister. May is not too far off being ousted as well.

This is Britain. Little people don't matter. The ones who own the country aren't ceding sh1t. No concessions. Same as it ever was.

14 minutes ago, canbuywontbuy said:

People in Eastern European countries are asking "when will the exodus end?". 

Poland, the Czech Republic and Slovakia have stable populations.

http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/poland-population/

http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/czech-republic-population/

http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/slovakia-population/

It's only the Baltic states that have seen an exodus, and that's more to do with treating ethnic Russians as second class citizens than anything else.

Edited by thecrashingisles

14 minutes ago, cashinmattress said:

Well, at least you aren't being emotionally dishonest like most.

BREXIT won't have any significant effect on immigration. Have you not figured that out yet? All these doctors, engineers, etc.. who you lot seem to be OK with in this post BREXIT realised Utopian fantasy world will still be bringing their families, and their kids will be having kids, etc...

It also won't change the dynamic of the political and elite class which is actually the underlying problem here. sic

BREXIT and politics is like playing Russian roulette with a glock 9. It's already unseated one prime minister. May is not too far off being ousted as well.

This is Britain. Little people don't matter. The ones who own the country aren't ceding sh1t. No concessions. Same as it ever was.

As much pro-Brexit as I am, and as much as I hope the UK can "clean house" and build an economy that's got strong foundations, I sadly agree with you.  I think the UK will shuffle along in its anemic way, every decision a short-term one, and every decision viewed through the lens of vested interests before being deployed.  The indigenous youth of the UK need to consider emigration as a serious possibility if they have any kind of ambition.  The whole setup is a joke if you're in your 20s or 30s now - you'll need two salaries, and 25 years of unbroken careers and marriage to pay off your wendyhouse. Meanwhile, your Eastern European counterparts are actually fulfilling bigger ambitions than you are.  Life passed you guys by, but you were too busy paying off your mortgage to realise it. Or actually more likely, paying your rent - year after year after year after year.

Edited by canbuywontbuy

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/nov/16/surge-eastern-europeans-working-uk-since-eu-referendum-brexit

East Europeans aren't being put off by it. 

I think on the whole when British people say they are concerned about immigration, other Europeans are the least of their worries. The PC agenda has really distorted the discussion about it and in a way EU migrants are being used as a proxy for their real concerns.

3 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

Poland and the Czech Republic have stable populations and Slovakia's is rising.

It's only the Baltic states that have seen an exodus, and that's more to do with treating ethnic Russians as second class citizens than anything else.

Population numbers don't necessarily reflect demographic changes.  For example, there's been an exodus of young Polish to EU countries since 2004.  Ukranians are now doing a lot of the jobs in Poland the Polish don't want to do. 

1 minute ago, canbuywontbuy said:

Population numbers don't necessarily reflect demographic changes.  For example, there's been an exodus of young Polish to EU countries since 2004.  Ukranians are now doing a lot of the jobs in Poland the Polish don't want to do. 

And that's a bad thing because?

It's funny how nobody ever talks about refugees from Ukraine despite the significant numbers in Poland, Hungary and other countries.  Perhaps because as Europeans they are invisible and don't create any cultural pressures like certain other groups.

Anecdotally I know of one or two leaving and blaming Brexit but then I know of just as many who've moved to the UK since the vote. Speaking as someone who's moved country a few times myself, I'd be disinclined to move to the UK right now as an EU/EEA/EFTA citizen if I was taking family with me (moving kids is way too much hassle) but I'd be happy to stay put if I was already there and wait for the situation to become clear. If I'd been there for 5 years or more I would certainly be applying for permanent leave to remain though.

53 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

Poland, the Czech Republic and Slovakia have stable populations.

Stable populations? If you look at TFR (total fertility rate) those countries have falls off a cliff. Why? Maybe something to do with large numbers of the young and fertile having left for the UK.

Slovakia and Poland TFR in 2014 1.37 and 1.32 respectively. Czech slightly better at 1.53. Their rates have halved since 1960.

All well below the 2.1 replacement rate. Unless those countries reverse the exodus they are in deep sh1t and wil suffer a declining and ageing population.

Edited by the gardener

7 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Anecdotally I know of one or two leaving and blaming Brexit but then I know of just as many who've moved to the UK since the vote. Speaking as someone who's moved country a few times myself, I'd be disinclined to move to the UK right now as an EU/EEA/EFTA citizen if I was taking family with me (moving kids is way too much hassle) but I'd be happy to stay put if I was already there and wait for the situation to become clear. If I'd been there for 5 years or more I would certainly be applying for permanent leave to remain though.

That may be complicated by dual citizenship rules. Slovakia for example does not permit dual citizenship except in certain cases. They did amend the rule a few years back to allow Slovaks to hold foreign citizenship if they live abroad but people are perhaps wary of doing so in case the rules change. The Slovaks I know (about 10) - none have taken British citizenship despite having been here for over a decade and having children born here, often with British partners.

11 minutes ago, the gardener said:

That may be complicated by dual citizenship rules. Slovakia for example does not permit dual citizenship except in certain cases. They did amend the rule a few years back to allow Slovaks to hold foreign citizenship if they live abroad but people are perhaps wary of doing so in case the rules change. The Slovaks I know (about 10) - none have taken British citizenship despite having been here for over a decade and having children born here, often with British partners.

That's why I said permanent leave to remain rather than citizenship - the former is fine for all countries as far as I'm aware whereas the latter is, as you point out, problematic in some cases.

14 minutes ago, workingpoor said:

Masdive surge of East Europeans into the UK since the referendum

50,000 increase

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/16/number-of-eastern-european-migrants-working-in-the-uk-since-the/

This is only going to act as a big "leave voter" generator as more and more locals become affected by this mass immigration. 

1 hour ago, winkie said:

People are unhappy with their lot, not because of others but because the system has been using others at the cost to others.....;)

Winkie, you are a wise man.

1 hour ago, workingpoor said:

Masdive surge of East Europeans into the UK since the referendum

50,000 increase

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/16/number-of-eastern-european-migrants-working-in-the-uk-since-the/

Sod the EE numers:

'The figures reveal that the overall number of non-UK nationals working in Britain has risen by 241,000 to 3.4 million since the EU referendum in June. '

I mean, FFS, thats a about 5 large towns.

*STOP TAX CREDITS TO ALL NON UK NATIONALS NOW*

1 minute ago, spyguy said:

Sod the EE numers:

'The figures reveal that the overall number of non-UK nationals working in Britain has risen by 241,000 to 3.4 million since the EU referendum in June. '

Its why the UK's budget deficit is running away from balance FFS.

I noticed less EE's last time I came back to UK a week ago.

A nice Italian couple both with techy jobs in the NHS have upped sticks and found jobs in France instead. Everybody told them they'd be fine here but I think they were worried and unsure and if another job is available elsewhere then what the heck.

Chatted to a nice self emplpyed guy from Gambia, muslim, a diamond geezer, who was saving to get back to Gambia and set up a business. He couldn't wait to leave and very nearly had the money required.

Usually most of the builders/construction workers in the area we visit back in UK are non-UK but this time they all seemed to be from Liverpool or the North.

10 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Sod the EE numers:

Anyone who doesn't have a problem with this needs their head examining.