House Price Crash Forum
Automotive Engineer

Looking For A New Rental, No White Goods

Mods, feel free to move to all about renting after some exposure.

So I'm on the rental search trail again. As a contractor, it's part of my yearly routine. My current rental last until December (it's rolling contract but I'm not moving without securing another place as last move was a fiasco)

It seems most rentals now dont have neither fridge nor wshing machine. From what I've been told by a local, since white goods are no longer accepted as fittings, they are no longer deductible. I will keep looking around but I'm not renting without white goods included. I move too often to faf around with fridges and washing machines.

The only thing many of these places include within their kitchens are hobs, becuase they require gas installation, otherwise I'm sure these tossers would even try to avoid that.

How tight are these buy toileter that can't even put a ******ing fridge in their properties? What kind of margins do these people have?

That's a new one on me. Funnily enough we have our own white goods and its always a pain trying to find somewhere we can bring them. Currently our LLs washing machine and drier (and our fridge) are in the garage. Generally I have found the quality of rental white goods to be "low end", to put it mildly, so would prefer a place without. This is also common practice on the continent and down-under so perhaps we can expect to see more of it over here.

Yeah maybe so. But it still better for me not to carry all the junk around as its going to be me doing the lifting. Also a washing machine has a masive slab of concrete to keep it grounded.

I know what I prefer. White good provided, so its less hasle.

I just ended up joining the gym.  Fridges / dryers are ok for me now, washing machine can be carried but is a bit of a challenge.

I rented a place that had no fridge, washing machine or cooker (yep).  My choice of course - it was a good location.  But what a pain. 

The last 3 places I rented in the UK (2012 to 2016) - none had a washing machine. They are heavy and a real pain to move around.  If I were a landlord, I'd supply a washing machine. Actually it's a real selling point because as you say, they're a real pain to move.  They're also hard to get rid of (sell, give away).  People just want a new one.  Charities are really really fussy.  British Heart Foundation refused my washing machine because there was literally a speck of mold on the rubber lining. 

We have our own washer, dryer, dishwasher and fridge that we use rather than the landlords (which are sitting in the garage).  The problem with BTL white goods is that the landlord will buy the cheapest junk available which inevitable doesn't work very well and breaks down.  They have to pay to fix it, but it's still a pain.  It's probably not always practical to have your own white goods when renting, but it's not an entirely bad thing.

Very common not to supply and in particular washing machines. They tend to need replacing every 4/5 years and repairing etc. So someone with 50 properties and 50 washing machines I imagine that almost becomes its own little industry of a fix/replace every month. 

More common is 'gifting'. So when you make an offer ask the LL if they will provide them. Many will do and some (who don't want the hassle of subsequent maintainance) may even gift it to the tenant. 

That wont help your situation because if it goes wrong it's your problem and for you to replace. 

However, a LL with just one rental (or maybe 2 or 3) do tend provide. 

This is generalisation and not saying it's right....just my observation. 

My son (wife and baby) rented from a proper portfolio LL and he never even got an oven or hob just a wire to connect one. The place felt completely unloved and rather than invest in white goods after 3 months he found somewhere else. Can't criticise the LL overall though he was old school, unleveraged, signed a 3 month contract and at the time was willing to let him have the place despite being temporarily out of work. That's his market and he doesn't provide anything or take deposits. You get curtains if the previous tenant left them. If the previous tenant took curtains you don't get any. 

I think the issue is consistency. If they were always provided that would be OK and also if they were not provided. The problem is what to do when moving between properties with different arrangements (either storage/sell your existing or buy/rent for the new place).

2 hours ago, mattyboy1973 said:

I think the issue is consistency. If they were always provided that would be OK and also if they were not provided. The problem is what to do when moving between properties with different arrangements (either storage/sell your existing or buy/rent for the new place).

In my experience there's a local effect to renting terms/conditions. For example I've rented in Cambridge where it was surprisingly difficult to find an unfurnished place (due to foreign students/staff without their own furniture I guess), on the south coast where you usually don't get white goods, and in Herts where you usually did. So if you're moving to another part of the country there is much disposing/buying of white goods to consider.

I've also noticed recently that where white goods are included there's a clause in the contract that although the landlord owns them, they don't guarantee they're working and are not responsible for fixing them if they go wrong. 

What I'd hate is the German system, where you essentially have to fit an entire kitchen when you move in - and remove it when you leave!

8 minutes ago, RentingForever said:

In my experience there's a local effect to renting terms/conditions. For example I've rented in Cambridge where it was surprisingly difficult to find an unfurnished place (due to foreign students/staff without their own furniture I guess), on the south coast where you usually don't get white goods, and in Herts where you usually did. So if you're moving to another part of the country there is much disposing/buying of white goods to consider.

I've also noticed recently that where white goods are included there's a clause in the contract that although the landlord owns them, they don't guarantee they're working and are not responsible for fixing them if they go wrong. 

What I'd hate is the German system, where you essentially have to fit an entire kitchen when you move in - and remove it when you leave!

I think the long of short of it is that renting in this country is a total mess. The PRS effectively grew from quite a small base to the monster that it is now, with barely any regulations and run by clueless people with no real interest in providing a service and to whom tenants are just an annoying inconvenience who happen to pay their pensions. The German system is fine, insofar as you tend to rent there for much longer periods to time and know what is required when you move into a place - I rented in Holland for a few years and if memory serves we just rented all of our white goods, which were delivered and installed/removed for us, so no real dramas. The idea that a LL can disown responsibility for white goods they leave on the premises seems bizarre - what are you supposed to do if they break down? Disposal is a hassle and a cost.

Yeah all my props have fridge-freezer and washing machine, I never used to charge extra as liked to feel I was 'giving something back' to my tenants and providing them with a good service. Until last year that is, when after I got sick of one or two of my lot complaining about their washing machine making a noise or leaking a bit (basically the brandname wasn't up to their standards) so I wrote to all of my properties to say they would now have the opportunity to put their own fridge and wash machine in at no extra cost, and for those who wanted to utilise my white goods there would be a small surcharge on the monthly rent (Just to cover maintenance and repairs and replacement etc the usual) simples. Funnily enough no one wanted their own white goods then did they and suddenly the complaints stopped. one of them threatened to leave so I called his bluff and got a load of eastern euros in the place now, they must be using the launderette as far as I know or care.

Edited by thewig

7 minutes ago, Automotive Engineer said:

what I'm reading is really really bizare

Why, are you in a public toilet? . 

Boom, boom.....I am here all week. ??

17 minutes ago, Phil321 said:

Why, are you in a public toilet? . 

Boom, boom.....I am here all week. ??

:D

A lot of the comments I can recognise, as I have been on the move now between rentals for many years.

All my furniture is second hand and chosen bearing in mind it will fit in a hatchback, or is easily disassembled eg Ikea. Thus, you can move your life on at short notice and it will only take a  few hours to do it. That probably sounds sad!:( But renters are always wary of planting roots.

I don't have the luxury of a freezer (too big) - the fridge was a cheap Argos special with dimensions checked beforehand.

The washing machine, like some of you say, is the big problem. It won't go in my car, so we are into 'van & man' territory @ £30/ hour! 

Getting rid of a broken washer - no problem round my way, get it to the pavement and it will be gone in half an hour - thanks to the Govt we have plenty of self employed 'scrappers'.

Need to sell it quick - Gumtree. At a cheap price you will get loads of calls - from renters or considerate LLs! The first question they will ask though is 'can you deliver?'. Then you will get calls from self employed 'domestic appliance suppliers' ie someone trying to sell it on to EE immigrants or likewise. They usually have a van!