House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Blek

Cheap Plumbers

Here's an article by the Times on the supply and demand of plumbers.

Don't forget, what happens in London usually starts to reflect around the country.

I predicted this a few years ago. It's like BTL and the dot com era, as soon as there are reports of money to be made people flock, too many people spoil the party!

During the dot com everyone did a computer course. Now everyones a plumber!

Here's an article by the Times on the supply and demand of plumbers.

Don't forget, what happens in London usually starts to reflect around the country.

Same happened in the 70's and 80's (remember the loadsamoney plasteres?)

I had a load of builder mates who bragged about their high wages during these booms - a couple of years later they were all on the dole.

Nothing changes, really, just a fresh bunch of suckers each generation!

Some might say markets at work.

You know the old supply demand thing, overshoots and corrections.

Others might say a failure of strategic planning somewhere.

You pays your money and......

True, but from experience GOOD tradesmen will always be in jobs whether plumbers, plasterers, builders etc....they get a lot of their work through word of mouth, and reputation is king in a flooded employment market.

Yup, nice way to rig the market and engineer over supply, if you're an employer and are a bit worried about having to pay market rates then just form an umbrella association (geddit?) with a few other employers and start spreading rumours and press release about there being a shortage in a specific trade with untold riches for all those clever enough to catch on, watch them all flock in and the rates come down.

On the local news I saw an item on all these school leavers becoming apprentice builders or tradesmen and how there was a shortage of people and guarantee of work at good pay, I was a bit anxious for them. I don't think people appreciate how fluid markets actualy are, how quickly demand can dry up, we don't live in a planned economy anymore. There is no certainty of future demand,especially so on the upside where the market doesn't work as before as migrant labour can seemingly plug any labour shortage.

Btw, oh my god, there's an IT SHORTAGE!!

an influx of cheap and also shoddy plumbers...

don't some of them take a two week course and means they are only qualified to do certain tasks?

It has shades of computech courses but with plumbers! :lol:

Brit Gas came round today to sort out boiler and they were moaning alarmingly about the influx of Polish Plumbers. Maybe this is what has happened to supply.

Edited by Given Up

I wonder what labour rates in Slough are like now? :blink:

http://www.thisishull.co.uk/displayNode.js...&folderPk=79656

9,000 migrants arrived in Slough last year Jan 20 2006

By Sam Matthews

MORE than 9,000 migrants arrived in Slough last year according to newly discovered figures, sparking renewed debate about immigration levels in the town.

The total - equivalent to around 8% of the town's population - challenges earlier official statistics that say only 300 migrants arrived here in 2004.

Using numbers supplied by job centres, the council found only 150 out of 9,000 plus people applying for National Insurance numbers were British nationals.

I predicted this a few years ago. It's like BTL and the dot com era, as soon as there are reports of money to be made people flock, too many people spoil the party!

During the dot com everyone did a computer course. Now everyones a plumber!

Agree 100% , whenever you hear about any Boom on mainstream TV news its time to get out. When you start to hear talk of Markets crashing and never returning to normal cycle it is time to get in. At the moment it feels like a limboland.

Brit Gas came round today to sort out boiler and they were moaning alarmingly about the influx of Polish Plumbers. Maybe tis is what has happened to supply.

Those jokers certified my fireplace as being safe... until I bought a CO monitor and showed how it was leaking. BG need to be alarmed: they are expensive AND incompetent rather than just incompetent.

Cue Aunty Dokes from SW London:

1998: broken washing machine, plumber on call out during the day puts a new spade connector on a wire, GBP 80 for 20 minutes of his obnoxious time.

2001:My chinless tenants call out an emergency plumber on a Sunday afternoon to mend a dripping tap (I know), GBP 200.

2005: Nice Polish chap, works like a Trojan fitting power showers etc, GBP 80 a day (8 til 6.) And he hoovers up after himself and feeds the cat.

2005: Local plumber provides a quote for fitting a new tap, GBP 40 an hour. Nice to see a 50% reduction, but still 5x what Macek is getting

If ever an industry needed a good, firm kick in the balls, it was the plumbing trade. The flood of new UK grads gave them a bit of a kicking (hence the halfing of their hourly rates) but it's the hard working Poles who are stomping on the remains.

And it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch (except perhaps EAs).

This is a good time to renovate: these rates are going up as people realise that the Eastern European guys provide VFM and the good EE guys realise that they no longer have to be quite as cheap.

My Father was 3 months short of his 16th birthday when Germany invaded Poland.

He joined the Army, fought across Europe, got out of France and became part of the Free Polish Army's 1st. Armoured Division. Like so most of the Free Poles he settled in the UK in 1945, married and I am the end result.

Whilst being a fully qualified Engineer no one would employ him as an Engineer - I know Polish Doctors, Architects and Lawyers who worked as trawlermen because they could not get employment here in their chosen fields - and he worked all his life as a scaffolder. I remember him, in all his life, taking but one holiday and one day sick when he had a tooth removed. He died within a year of retiring.

When he retired the building firm he worked for took on THREE men to replace him.

I know I am biased towards the Poles but I think the influx of them into the UK now will be for the best in the long-term - many of them, as did my Dad's generation, will end up being more proud of being British than many people who are born here. They are hard workers, good people with an incredibly strong moral vein running through them. Britain, IMPO, can only benefit from them coming here.

\maybe it won't be as good for them. Maybe our lazy attitude will rub off on thier noble hard working souls and they'll end up teenage mothers and dole scroungers.

(I'm not being sarcastic)

maybe it won't be as good for them. Maybe our lazy attitude will rub off on thier noble hard working souls and they'll end up teenage mothers and dole scroungers.

(I'm not being sarcastic)

At which point we are truly doomed as a nation.

Historically, the UK has seen mass influxes of immigrants over the past 1500 years. Usually such influxes have resulted in economic booms. It is a bit like the gene pool being refreshed.

Personally, whether it is Poles or any other hard working grouping, I think that we all here in the UK could do with a big kick up the backside economically and if the Poles are going to show plumbers, dentists, whoever just how much they are over-charging and/or under-working then I think it is a good thing.

My Father was 3 months short of his 16th birthday when Germany invaded Poland.

He joined the Army, fought across Europe, got out of France and became part of the Free Polish Army's 1st. Armoured Division. Like so most of the Free Poles he settled in the UK in 1945, married and I am the end result.

Whilst being a fully qualified Engineer no one would employ him as an Engineer - I know Polish Doctors, Architects and Lawyers who worked as trawlermen because they could not get employment here in their chosen fields - and he worked all his life as a scaffolder. I remember him, in all his life, taking but one holiday and one day sick when he had a tooth removed. He died within a year of retiring.

When he retired the building firm he worked for took on THREE men to replace him.

I know I am biased towards the Poles but I think the influx of them into the UK now will be for the best in the long-term - many of them, as did my Dad's generation, will end up being more proud of being British than many people who are born here. They are hard workers, good people with an incredibly strong moral vein running through them. Britain, IMPO, can only benefit from them coming here.

Hear hear! There's always been a close link between the two countries. A close friend of mine in Oz tells how as a kiddy his father escaped to NZ via Persia during the war... an incredibe story. Feel slightly guilty now that I should be paying my chaps a bit more... they even feed the cat if I'm away for a couple of days.

\maybe it won't be as good for them. Maybe our lazy attitude will rub off on thier noble hard working souls and they'll end up teenage mothers and dole scroungers.

Problem is they wont stay. My old man has a few teams of East European's working for him. It will be the same as Germany in the 70's & 80's though. When the parties over they will go home and a loss it will be as well. My dad say's there are quite a few blokes leaving London because it just does not pay anymore. At the moment they are paying heaps of cash into our social security system which they will never use.

I second that.

The Poles who occupy the HMO next door to me work bloody hard for their money, mainly as builders but also as cleaners, childminders, basically whatever they can get.

We have a bit of a noise debate with them since they also like to play hard at the end of the day/week and it gets a bit wearing when they are givin' it large at 4am.

I hope the Poles discover the garage mechanic trade next - by god there's a trade that needs shaking up.

I hope the Poles discover the garage mechanic trade next - by god there's a trade that needs shaking up.

I was hoping someone would mention them. I think the problem with cars is they are now ridiculously complicated. The guys who have been in the trade for 20+ years really are getting left behind and most of them don't have the aptitude for what the job now demands.

The apprentices are mostly Muppet's, read Max Power, can't get their head around Ohms law let alone HDi, leave after five minutes.

To be any good you really have to put your heart and soul into it, and plenty of cash. The bad reputation, image, plus the mental investment just puts people off.

I suppose the one truly good thing about immigration is the quality of the women. I was in a pub in London the other week - One of bar staff was English she had a horrible gruff Essex accent, tattoos all over her, over weight and looked like she could have given Tyson a good fight. Meanwhile there was a group of 8-9 women from Poland and the like and they were all absolutely stunning.

I want a smaller population for environmental and social issues but would happy sacrifice a million of the indigenous population for high quality immigrants.

I want a smaller population for environmental and social issues but would happy sacrifice a million of the indigenous population for high quality immigrants.

Hrm, I think you may work for the Home Office.

Brazilian women were given longer stays in the country than their boyfriends for no reason, and passport pictures of women considered "ugly" were pinned up for the amusement of male staff.