House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

workingpoor

Censorship of Social Media

They don't like the role social media played in Brexit & The US electio of Donald Trump 

We now have a block on "fake news" on facebook (how long before "unhelpful news" is censored? 

And now the ability to block individual words on Twitter that might be "hateful" 

As well as the ability to prevent posts going Viral. (this could combat SJW tactics) 

Very sinister. 

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/nov/15/twitter-users-to-get-ability-to-mute-words-and-conversations

After nine years, Twitter users will finally be able to mute specific conversations on the site, as well as filter out all tweets with a particular word or phrase from their notifications.

The much requested features are being rolled out today, according to the company. Muting conversations serves two obvious purposes: users who have a tweet go viral will no longer have to deal with thousands of replies from strangers, while users stuck in an interminable conversation between people they don’t know will be able to silently drop out of the discussion.

1 minute ago, workingpoor said:

They don't like the role social media played in Brexit & The US electio of Donald Trump 

We now have a block on "fake news" on facebook (how long before "unhelpful news" is censored? 

And now the ability to block individual words on Twitter that might be "hateful" 

As well as the ability to prevent posts going Viral. (this could combat SJW tactics) 

Very sinister. 

And Google:

"Moving forward, we will restrict ad serving on pages that misrepresent, misstate, or conceal information about the publisher, the publisher's content, or the primary purpose of the web property," Google said in a statement. The company did not detail how it would implement or enforce the new policy, which some accuse is the monetary equivalent of censorship.

And Google again by rather arbitrarily de-monetising ad money from Youtube content. 

I don't use Twitter or Facebook much, but I suspect with recent events, and the complete failure of mainstream media to make us choose the right box, at the ballet box, is the start "peak internet".

I will now go back to watching videos about cooking spirits and making pizzas, before they are deleted forever.

You can't censor the internet - people will use use other means. They censor the internet in other countries around the world, but people still find other routes.

They only thing to do is to shut down the internet, and we all go back to watching TV with just 4 channels, and using newspapers and radio.

Bit of a coincidence it all comes together on the same day? 

Zuckerberg blocks "fake news"

Twitter gives the ability to block individual words and viral posts that people dont like.  

And Google bans Ads from sites where they can't identify the adminstrator/s etc 

Methinks TPTB are very worried about this "Global Movement" that has sprung up. 

Daily Mail and others deemed "Hateful" are also being targeted, 

They move quickly when the Globalist agenda is at stake don't they? 

Twitter and facebook are an irrelevance. The people who voted brexit/Trump don't care about them and wouldn't base their decisions on the liberal/sjw nonsense on those sites. They are also losing members in their droves.

This action will just make more people leave - leaving the liberal/sjws to talk amongst themselves in the echo chamber.

9 minutes ago, 200p said:

They only thing to do is to shut down the internet, and we all go back to watching TV with just 4 channels, and using newspapers and radio.

Except people wouldn't. You can't re-seal Pandora's box. 

The people who voted Trump will never go back. This movement is just beginning. It will go from strength to strength from here on.

26 minutes ago, workingpoor said:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/nov/15/twitter-users-to-get-ability-to-mute-words-and-conversations

After nine years, Twitter users will finally be able to mute specific conversations on the site, as well as filter out all tweets with a particular word or phrase from their notifications.

The much requested features are being rolled out today, according to the company. Muting conversations serves two obvious purposes: users who have a tweet go viral will no longer have to deal with thousands of replies from strangers, while users stuck in an interminable conversation between people they don’t know will be able to silently drop out of the discussion.

This will just lead to the SJWs/left being stuck even more in their echo-chamber. They will just ignore anything they don't agree with - then when the next political 'shock' happens they won't understand why (again).

A massive expansion of "No Platforming" ? 

I campaigned alot on Facebook for Brexit & Trump 

Facebook has an older user demographic and i saw lots of this "fake news" being shared on the site, pertaining to the EU referendum and the US election. 

I used the Breitbart story about Anjem Choudary voting Remain because EU courts went easier on his islamist friends to great effect on the penultimate referendum capaign night. 

I like to think i swung a few votes for Leave.

I think you expect such sites to be censored, just as comments on newspaper websites are.:huh:

Hey this might be a good thing. I think censorship might get more people off their phones.... and we'll start talking to each other again.

4 hours ago, Errol said:

Twitter and facebook are an irrelevance. The people who voted brexit/Trump don't care about them and wouldn't base their decisions on the liberal/sjw nonsense on those sites. They are also losing members in their droves.

This action will just make more people leave - leaving the liberal/sjws to talk amongst themselves in the echo chamber.

Agreed

As  has been pointed out one of the big mistakes made by the Clinton campaign was to assume that dominating Twitter trends, Facebook etc would guarantee victory. The reality was that many of those voting for Trump barely looked at these outlets. The same applies to opinions relating to Brexit. The media and the political establishment are simply repeating the same error now in assuming that these things are as central to people's lives as they think. I am a pretty frequent internet user both for leisure and work activity but I don't own either a Twitter or Facebook account and I am never likely to change that situation.

The problem that the politicians and the MSM are facing is that the disconnect between the reality of peoples lives and the Panglossian bullsh*t that gets thrown at them as news is just too great. Just like in the in the old Soviet Union the authorised channels have become so discredited that many people are not going to believe what they say even if they happen to be telling the truth. In fact they prefer the Samizdat alternative and will use whatever channels are available to distribute it.

I was initially pleased to see this but then I realised the implication is simply that Trump won because people read the wrong sort of news on Facebook. If only they had read the bastion of truth that is the MSM then Trump would have lost. obviously. 

It's quite funny really that even with Eric Schmidt clearly manipulating Google prior to the vote, Hillary didn't win. Next time they'll go in even harder though. They have a cover story now

3 minutes ago, stormymonday_2011 said:

Agreed

As  has been pointed out one of the big mistakes made by the Clinton campaign was to assume that dominating Twitter trends, Facebook etc would guarantee victory. The reality was that many of those voting for Trump barely looked at these outlets. The same applies to opinions relating to Brexit. The media and the political establishment are simply repeating the same error now in assuming that these things are as central to people's lives as they think. I am a pretty frequent internet user both for leisure and work activity but I don't own either a Twitter or Facebook account and I am never likely to change that situation.

Me neither but what you need to remember is that people are thick. Take one person at random that you know and realise that statistically 50pc of the population is thicker than them. 

5 hours ago, 200p said:

You can't censor the internet - people will use use other means. They censor the internet in other countries around the world, but people still find other routes.

It's in theory impossible to shut down the internet. Your access to it on the other hand...

2 hours ago, happy_renting said:

Farcebook is privately owned, and are thus free to introduce as much bias and censorship as it wants. A position that Libertarians would normally defend.

He he 

Oxford Dictionaries has declared "post-truth" as its 2016 international word of the year, reflecting what it called a "highly-charged" political 12 months.

It is defined as an adjective relating to circumstances in which objective facts are less influential in shaping public opinion than emotional appeals. 

Its selection follows June's Brexit vote and the US presidential election.

Oxford Dictionaries' Casper Grathwohl said post-truth could become "one of the defining words of our time".

Post-truth, which has become associated with the phrase "post-truth politics", was chosen ahead of other political terms, including "Brexiteer" and "alt-right".

It was chosen from a shortlist selected to reflect the social, cultural, political, economic, and technological trends and events of 2016. 

'Distrust of facts'

Oxford Dictionaries says post-truth is thought to have been first used in 1992.

However, it says the frequency of its usage increased by 2,000% in 2016 compared with last year, coinciding with the EU referendum and the campaign for the White House in the US.

Mr Grathwohl said: "Fuelled by the rise of social media as a news source and a growing distrust of facts offered up by the establishment, post-truth as a concept has been finding its linguistic footing for some time," he said.

"We first saw the frequency really spike this year in June with buzz over the Brexit vote and again in July when Donald Trump secured the Republican presidential nomination. 

"Given that usage of the term hasn't shown any signs of slowing down, I wouldn't be surprised if post-truth becomes one of the defining words of our time."

Todays BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37995600

12 hours ago, PopGun said:

It's in theory impossible to shut down the internet. Your access to it on the other hand...

Distributed internet is next. People will be running their own closed networks spread across communities and groups. Almost impossible to stop or police.

3 hours ago, workingpoor said:

Mr Grathwohl said: "Fuelled by the rise of social media as a news source and a growing distrust of facts offered up by the establishment, post-truth as a concept has been finding its linguistic footing for some time," he said.

Shouldn't that be 'facts' offered up by the establishment?

Who is to say what is truth? The establishment lies, lies and lies again.

1 hour ago, Errol said:

Distributed internet is next. People will be running their own closed networks spread across communities and groups. Almost impossible to stop or police.

That's too scary to comprehend.

1 hour ago, PopGun said:

That's too scary to comprehend.

Data is simply too hard for anyone to control as well. Thumb drives and/or portable hard drives are up to 8+ TB now. They can hold so much stuff.