House Price Crash Forum
dryrot

China's Real-Estate Frenzy Is Coming to a City Near You

Hi

From Bloomberg. I always thought london insanity was Chinese (and ME) looking for a safe haven - who cares if a 2bed in Tootng od £750k if the alternative is Aleppo or a Chinese labour camp...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-14/world-s-biggest-real-estate-binge-is-coming-to-a-city-near-you?cmpid=BBD111416_BIZ

I noted "Sydney, Vancouver, Hong Kong, London and a handful of other cities have long been popular destinations for Chinese buyers.

The difference now is that those traditional hotspots are starting to lose their appeal, due to soaring prices and new measures to deter an influx of overseas money. In Hong Kong, the government enacted a 30 percent tax on foreign property owners this month after Chinese demand pushed home values toward record highs."

Perhaps Mr Wilson will be able to unload in Ashford :)

Edited by dryrot
emphasis

No.

A good few years too late.

CHina really has clamped down heavily. Just owning a property abroad now means you cannot have a position in China to own a property abroad. If you can follow that.

2 hours ago, dryrot said:

Hi

From Bloomberg. I always thought london insanity was Chinese (and ME) looking for a safe haven - who cares if a 2bed in Tootng od £750k if the alternative is Aleppo or a Chinese labour camp...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-14/world-s-biggest-real-estate-binge-is-coming-to-a-city-near-you?cmpid=BBD111416_BIZ

I noted "Sydney, Vancouver, Hong Kong, London and a handful of other cities have long been popular destinations for Chinese buyers.

The difference now is that those traditional hotspots are starting to lose their appeal, due to soaring prices and new measures to deter an influx of overseas money. In Hong Kong, the government enacted a 30 percent tax on foreign property owners this month after Chinese demand pushed home values toward record highs."

Perhaps Mr Wilson will be able to unload in Ashford :)

The real purpose of HS2 and the 'Northern Powerhouse' is to steer Chinese and Middle Eastern property speculators away from the diminishing and negative returns of Greater London and the South East and toward the post-industrial graveyards of Liverpool, Manchester and Birmingham instead.

24 minutes ago, cashinmattress said:

London is for sale, the pound has dropped, and the Chinese have lots of people with lots of money.

No surprises there, especially as Canada is slapping surtax on their transactions.

Britain has 17.4 million people sick of immigrants.

The more then come the bigger the backlash will be

18 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Britain has 17.4 million people sick of immigrants.

The more then come the bigger the backlash will be

Really? What backlash? A non-binding referendum? Or are you going to don the steel toes, grab the carrot peeler, and go kick some immigrant ass?

And hotairmail...Switzerland is a federal republic. We're a constitutional monarchy. Not a good analogy.

I can't wait for the day I pay £25 for a 3-pack of white gym socks at ASDA because we've followed your lead and turfed all the undesirables out.... and get to experience the very obvious (and predictable) backlash of such behavior.

Or when I am in some city centre in Europe and get punched in the face just for my passport. Looking forward to that with utter glee.

Hint: you're rebelling against the wrong people. Who's employing and exploiting them on your doorstep?

Ignorance is bliss.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-15/brexit-britain-s-building-plan-comes-undone-without-eu-s-skills

Want to make UK undesirable for immigrants? Good, then carry on with that banter. It won't be just immigrants who find your Utopian vision of right wing nationalistic and bankrupt Britain unsavory.

(Thankfully you won't make a bean of difference, even all 17.4 million in the gang)

Just now, cashinmattress said:

Really? What backlash? A non-binding referendum? Or are you going to don the steel toes, grab the carrot peeler, and go kick some immigrant ass?

Blimey, what's your problem ?

I've been saying for years the more the immigrants come the more the right wing will rise.

I couldn't give a toss about immigrants one way or another but I do care about the future, my future, my childrens future and the UKs future.

It wont take much of a "gang" to make the UK a very unpleaseant place to live, the sooner the current course of the UK is changed the better for all.

If you're going to let in millions of immigrants, make sure they are:

1) real jobs

2) no incentives

3) affordable state funded housing

4) roads

5) rail

6) schools

7) doctors

8) Hospitals

We have none of that now. More immigrants = more problems.  It's fairly obvious.