House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Not waving but falling

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/nov/14/teaching-assistant-suriyah-bi-sacked-911-footage-birmingham

Suriyah Bi, 24, an Oxford University graduate, was dismissed from the Heartlands Academy in Birmingham, when she raised concerns about the footage of people jumping to their deaths.

Bi felt it was inappropriate for her class of 11- and 12-year-old special needs children to see footage of the attacks on the World Trade Center in New York on 11 September 2001.

Poem in question was here
http://www.scottishpoetrylibrary.org.uk/poetry/poems/out-blue-12

A teaching assistant....

....Bi, who is studying for a PhD in human geography, was dismissed from the school on 23 September 2015, less than a fortnight after she started the job.

And why is the world going to $hit?

53 minutes ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

There are plenty of 9/11 videos that don't feature falling victims. I'm sure this could have been finessed with good will on both sides. Somebody wasn't playing nice. I expect the Tribunal will discover who.

I disagree. If you're going to go out of your way to hide the horror for the individuals involved, you may as well not bother teaching it at all.

Well I agree with her. No need for a video showing people jumping to their deaths. Not appropriate for 11 year olds.

I'd punch the teacher that showed that to my children. Why not? After all violence is a part of life, teachers have to learn too you know.

52 minutes ago, the gardener said:

Well I agree with her. No need for a video showing people jumping to their deaths. Not appropriate for 11 year olds.

+1

She was quite right to object - it's unfortunate that her muslimness is muddying the waters - the other teacher is a fcktard