House Price Crash Forum

Finland Will Become the First Country in the World to Get Rid of All School Subjects

The Masked Tulip

HOLA441
Guest TheBlueCat
19 hours ago, Riedquat said:

I'd drop the "more economically productive" part, at the end of the day only the former matters. But we're still run by people who are only concerned with numbers for some international dick-measuring contest. Well, not only, I suppose in fact that's just the occasional distraction for them from screwing everything up for their own gain.

You'll note I said "or". 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
On 14/11/2016 at 10:06 PM, Arbitrage said:

This is all true - I am a teacher.

I don't teach languages, but I know that this is how languages are now taught in British schools. Most of the people teaching can't speak the languages that they're supposed to be teaching properly.

I've taught in Finland - they tend to employ native speakers to teach languages, which is far better

I had a french techer. Useless.

Disappeared on long term sick when a half french kid turned up at school and tried to speak French in the class.

HOLA443
On 14/11/2016 at 6:46 PM, SillyBilly said:

Yes, I got A*s in French and Spanish at Secondary School and a B in French/B in Spanish at A-level (didn't really have to try that hard either). I could barely speak a couple of sentences when I left. Oral questions were learned word-for-word with the questions known in advance (at both levels), the one or 2 questions in the roleplay which would be asked "on the spot" (not known in advance) could basically be ignored or written off - just nail the pre-learned stuff, why worry about natural conversation?

Coursework was basically the teachers steering you to put in a load of tenses/complex sentence constructions which would guarantee you a top mark. Good opportunity for those with no aptitude whatsoever to get some easy marks by being gifted the answers.

Written examinations were tackled with a load of stock phrases you'd learn relating to certain situations/views. I wasn't too great at listening personally as it actually required a little more skill than the rest hence why a lot of students tended to struggle more with it.

Fortunately I continued learning after college with paid lessons with native speakers so I got to a reasonable standard in the end (no thanks to the piss poor education at school). After all those hours studying I wanted something to show for it...

To be honest the way I hear my teacher sisters talking these days, the pressure to hit targets (like in the workplace) means this is becoming more prevalent (get the kids to pass at all costs, screw any depth of understanding).

Language teaching drives me nuts. My son has just started German at secondary - in the first term he's learnt numbers 1-100, the alphabet and a whole load of context-less vocabulary. Nothing about handling the actual language. I teach him more at home than he learns in class.

HOLA444
35 minutes ago, frozen_out said:

Language teaching drives me nuts. My son has just started German at secondary - in the first term he's learnt numbers 1-100, the alphabet and a whole load of context-less vocabulary. Nothing about handling the actual language. I teach him more at home than he learns in class.

I got a C at GCSE German. I couldn't really put a sentence together, beside a couple of stock phrases. My French was a little better (got an A in that), although hardly enough to be of any practical use; that didn't improve until I spent 15 months in France, not that I ever got very good then, although I could just about manage a conversation with a very patient person. Alas that's slipped now.

Archived