House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikhail Liebenstein

Magnitude 7.4 quake hits Christchurch

I hope people are OK.

As an aside, I bought a pair of trainers in response to seeing a blog review of a pair where the author claimed that they held up remarkably well in the after-math of the last big quake there. He said that they coped really well scrambling over the rocks, mud and water.

It is like a ripple around the world isn't it.... Italy.... then Chile... then NZ... The geologists always say that such occurences are not connected... but when we get a quake in one part of the world it always seems to be followed, within days or a few weeks, with another major quake on the other side of the planet.

Makes sense to me that the plates are all moving and rebalancing.

Wellington is the real place to be concerned. That's overdue a massive one anytime soon. When it hits it's going to be mayhem and complete disaster.

19 minutes ago, ccc said:

Wellington is the real place to be concerned. That's overdue a massive one anytime soon. When it hits it's going to be mayhem and complete disaster.

Cant be. Mother Nature is all wise and defenceless.

Simon Morton and his family were woken by the “super slow roller” quake just after midnight. Morton and his wife Jo live in the seaside Wellington suburb of Lyall Bay – just seven to eight metres from the sea.

Morton made the immediate decision to evacuate his family to higher ground and packed the family in his truck and drove them to View Street, nearly 80m above sea level.

After 40 minutes and no further serious activity, Morton and his family returned to their home. Just as he was getting into bed Morton noticed the tide was the lowest he had ever seen. His wife Jo said it was “very weird” and the couple made the decision to again evacuate.

The family are now on View Street where they have been joined by a steady stream of cars – he estimates as many as 60-100.

2 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

It is like a ripple around the world isn't it.... Italy.... then Chile... then NZ... The geologists always say that such occurences are not connected... but when we get a quake in one part of the world it always seems to be followed, within days or a few weeks, with another major quake on the other side of the planet.

Makes sense to me that the plates are all moving and rebalancing.

You do get slips and locks between plates, and whilst most of the action happens at the edge where the strain is on the plate, I do suspect that there is some overall plate movement that could later trigger events at the other side of the plate. 

Given all the recent activity around the Ring of Fire, I have to say I'd be very concerned if I lived in California. San Francisco is well overdue, and generally the longer the interval the bigger the quake.

36 minutes ago, workingpoor said:

Simon Morton and his family were woken by the “super slow roller” quake just after midnight. Morton and his wife Jo live in the seaside Wellington suburb of Lyall Bay – just seven to eight metres from the sea.

Morton made the immediate decision to evacuate his family to higher ground and packed the family in his truck and drove them to View Street, nearly 80m above sea level.

After 40 minutes and no further serious activity, Morton and his family returned to their home. Just as he was getting into bed Morton noticed the tide was the lowest he had ever seen. His wife Jo said it was “very weird” and the couple made the decision to again evacuate.

The family are now on View Street where they have been joined by a steady stream of cars – he estimates as many as 60-100.

Yep, a friend of mine has evacuated herself and cat to higher ground there. 

4 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I visited after the last rebuild. Hope it it has stood up well and people are safe.

That's bad, what's Bournemouth like?