House Price Crash Forum

Watch out for the supermoon

DTMark

HOLA441

4884.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/nov/13/supermoon-brightest-display-for-68-years

If you’re below retirement age, you’ll never have seen it so big or so bright. Amid all the political seismic shocks, the universe is throwing in a stunning natural phenomenon this week, with the appearance of the largest “supermoon” to grace our skies in 68 years.

The moon is coming closer to Earth than is usual on its orbit on Monday, and the side facing us will be fully illuminated by the sun. The combination produces what is known as a “super perigee full moon”, and we will witness one of the most impressive examples as it passes closer to Earth on Monday than at any point since 1948.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I will only bother with the supermoon if the BBC wheels out Astro-Commander Tim Peake to explain it to me, in the slow, patronising, misinformed way that only the BBC can do.

In the meanwhile I am still waiting for Aldi to start selling Astro-Commander Tim Peake's Space Cress. Don't we get any technology spinoffs from his space mission?

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
1 hour ago, happy_renting said:

To be frank, it will be barely discernibly larger. in appearance, and I don't see what the fuss is about.

Im sure there was another one a couple of years ago...

HOLA4411
10 minutes ago, happy_renting said:

Anyone can simulate the visual effect of a supermoon at any time, simply by standing closer to the Moon.

supermoons have more votes than ordinary moons.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
1 hour ago, happy_renting said:

I don't see why people get so excited by the Universe. It's all a bit crap really.

*Takes another Prozac*

The glories of the night sky are much enhanced by some whizzy graphics, electro music, and Brian Cox gabbling away like a chimpanzee on ecstasy.

HOLA4415
3 hours ago, happy_renting said:

To be frank, it will be barely discernibly larger. in appearance, and I don't see what the fuss is about.

Indeed, I do wish they wouldn't write such over-the-top drivel that'll just leave people looking at it and realising that it looks the same as normal and they'd need measuring equipment to actually see any difference. It probably puts people off being interested. At least there's something a bit more noticable when you get a favourable opposition of Mars, but even that's only relevent to people who have telescopes to peer through.

HOLA4416
1 minute ago, Riedquat said:

Indeed, I do wish they wouldn't write such over-the-top drivel that'll just leave people looking at it and realising that it looks the same as normal and they'd need measuring equipment to actually see any difference. It probably puts people off being interested. At least there's something a bit more noticable when you get a favourable opposition of Mars, but even that's only relevent to people who have telescopes to peer through.

It was genuinely huge and very noticeable when low in a clear sky at about 5pm yesterday.

So whilst it may only be marginally bigger than previous super moons it is still very impressive. 

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish Proverb

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I had recently tried to make sense of why the moon looks so bloody big on the horizon. Google tel;ls me it is a trick of the brain that assumes that objects on the horizon are twice the size of those overhead because they ought to be further away. So I guess an ordinary moon on the horizon is always going to beat a 14% bigger moon on Supermoon day.

HOLA4424
27 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

Oh my God. My head might explode with that piece of information.

So you're saying when that bird flying overhead lands, it will look a lot bigger? I always wondered why fog looked so big.

a landed bird seems bigger because it covers more of your retina, whereas a low moon does not .. hence illusion.

HOLA4425

Archived