Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

sore throat .. go to chemist

Recommended Posts

I thought this was the first sensible thing I've heard in ages (assuming the test works reliably).

The idea of getting antibiotics without prescription at the pharmacy without needing to f*** about with any of the crap that goes with trying to see a GP is a startling act of common sense on the part of the medical profession.

The fact that they have a test to tell you whether you need them or not is just the icing on the cake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What could possibly go wrong if the same people that profit from selling drugs also determine whether you need those drugs or not... :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great idea - except our Boots store is smaller than my living room and already I have to queue for up to 20 minutes to pick up my regular prescription medication. How much worse will this make it? 

 

At the GP surgery, we have only three GPS due to their inability to recruit. Up until 2014, there were 10. Most have retired. We are offered an appointment with an unqualified health care assistant instead of a doctor. I've been waiting for about five months to see a doctor. Serve them right if I died before I see one. :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had a sore throat for weeks. I actually gave this advice a go when I picked up my meds this week. I have a hiatus hernia which can cause gastric reflux, so I am prescribed a proton-pump inhibitor to reduce stomach acidity. Reflux can burn the throat.

The chemist didn't look at my throat, just asked me a few questions about whether I had a cough, paid no attention to what meds she had just dispensed, and suggested I try paracetomol.

So I'm of to see a doctor who might at least have a clue about medicine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, happy_renting said:

I have had a sore throat for weeks. I actually gave this advice a go when I picked up my meds this week. I have a hiatus hernia which can cause gastric reflux, so I am prescribed a proton-pump inhibitor to reduce stomach acidity. Reflux can burn the throat.

The chemist didn't look at my throat, just asked me a few questions about whether I had a cough, paid no attention to what meds she had just dispensed, and suggested I try paracetomol.

So I'm of to see a doctor who might at least have a clue about medicine.

This is what worries me.
Pharmacists are supposed to be good!  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SarahBell said:

This is what worries me.
Pharmacists are supposed to be good!  

 

Some are good, some aren't. Just like doctors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it is so effective why haven't the GPs used this simple but marvelous sore throat test already?   Why don't they use it now?  I would suspect that the only accurate and effective approach is to take a throat swab and culture it, but that costs time and money!  It is easier to use a shotgun antibiotic approach, but of course that eventually leads to resistance.  

There are a number of points here.  Pharmacists are not doctors. Many are usually failed wanabee doctors who could not attain the entrance qualifications. We are being palmed off with yet another substitute, as is happening with nurse practitioners.  Consider also that an American company owns Boots our major pharmacy presence. This is creeping privatisation.

An independent pharmacist in our area was recently imprisoned for £200,000 of fraud.  The lure of the filthy lucre.  Many of the independents are supplied by Boots Alliance anyway.

Just like the nurse practitioners I don't have confidence that pharmacists have the range of necessary skills.

I am also cynical concerning so called over worked doctors.  Just like most parts of the country I find it difficult to get a GP appointment.  I won't go into all the hoops that you have to jump through.  Yet by way of my experiences of 20 - 30 years years ago when I do attend the surgery, on every occasion, I find it very sparsely populated by patients.   Consider all the other factors. The UK population hasn't expanded that much.  Doctors now have so much ancillary medical support staff, receptionists, purpose built units and computerised systems etc, compared with 20 years ago.  I arrange my repeat prescriptions and appointments via computer, so less appointments.

I no longer have a personal relationship with a GP.  I find they are now totally reactive rather than the more proactive doctors of the past. It is difficult to achieve continuity of consultation. A majority of them in my surgery are foreign born.  I now tend to use them as a resource, and have become quite cynical about the whole system.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Sore Throat Test and Treat service, which has been trialled in 35 Boots pharmacies

Boots :rolleyes:, this must be right up their street, pompous asses.

Last time I went into a Boots branch was well over ten years ago to buy some reading glasses, I picked up a +2 pair off the stand and went to pay. The assistant produced a sight test card and asked me to put them on and read the test, I said that since I was wearing contact lenses at the time it would be pointless and misleading, the reply was that they could not sell me the glasses if I wouldn't take their test, I walked out and bought a pair two doors down the high street at half the price and have never set foot in a Boots store again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was waiting in a chemist about a month ago when a foreign woman came in with her son (13), she told the assistant she had taken him to the doctor on account of his bad cough! The Doc had sent them to the chemist. No word of a lie the woman asked the assistant what he could recommend, the assistant was rather bemused went through the usual brands, he did have to warn the kid not to treat the lozenges like sweeties!

Then you wonder why you can't get an appointment at the doctors!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have tried looking for the tests, I presume it is similar to this:

streptokokken_schnelltest_124861.jpg

https://static.praxisdienst.com/out/pictures/generated/product/1/800_800_100/streptokokken_schnelltest_124861.jpg

They are not available at the online shop at Boots - yet. So who pays for the test the NHS or the patient?

And from the article, the programme is hosted by http://uclpartners.com/ a private company. (Darn, I can't check out a stock chart)

The programme led by NHS England is hosted by UCL Partners, one of 15 Academic Health Science Networks (AHSN) which aim to spread innovation across the health service.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/11/patients-to-get-instant-tests-at-chemists-to-see-if-they-need-an/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hectors House said:

 

Then you wonder why you can't get an appointment at the doctors!


Two SJW on my fb. He went to the docs first. Told it's flu and to go home and rest. She gets the same and rather than assuming it's the same thing she goes to be told it's flu too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SarahBell said:


Two SJW on my fb. He went to the docs first. Told it's flu and to go home and rest. She gets the same and rather than assuming it's the same thing she goes to be told it's flu too. 

 

SJW = Single Jehovah's Witness?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we have a 'Why Are GPs So Bloody Useless' thread? Last time I booked an appointment for my IBS I was told to 'take Actimel'.

Now I just self-diagnose using the internet. In fact a few years ago, I could see my GPs screen, she was just Googling my symptoms - wtf.  If things carry on like this the NHS will be like the BBC, loved by some as a 'national institution' but despised by many others as a waste of money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 200p said:

I have tried looking for the tests, I presume it is similar to this:

streptokokken_schnelltest_124861.jpg

https://static.praxisdienst.com/out/pictures/generated/product/1/800_800_100/streptokokken_schnelltest_124861.jpg

They are not available at the online shop at Boots - yet. So who pays for the test the NHS or the patient?

And from the article, the programme is hosted by http://uclpartners.com/ a private company. (Darn, I can't check out a stock chart)

The programme led by NHS England is hosted by UCL Partners, one of 15 Academic Health Science Networks (AHSN) which aim to spread innovation across the health service.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/11/patients-to-get-instant-tests-at-chemists-to-see-if-they-need-an/

Which bottle do you pee in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • The Prime Minister stated that there were three Brexit options available to the UK:   97 members have voted

    1. 1. Which of the Prime Minister's options would you choose?


      • Leave with the negotiated deal
      • Remain
      • Leave with no deal

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.