House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sisyphus

Equity Release The Next Big Market For Lenders.

According to Safe Home Income Plans SHIP, the trade association which represents 18 equity release lenders and over 95 percent of the market, a survey conducted amongst its members reveals that SHIP members predict that the equity release sector will become more competitive from the first quarter of 2006.

Win win situation for lenders - if HPs rise this is a new source of income to replace the penury of FTB mortgages. If the market crashes well they can repossess and sell to the FTBs again.

My logic might be at fault, please feel free to wade in.

I'll let someone else do the SHIP joke.

Reuters article:

Equity release should get more attractive

now I assume that means they have to compete harder and offer better rates for the remaining available business since many have already MEWed to the hilt, and there are potentially Fewer Mewers now *titters at alliteration* :rolleyes: .

However, it could possibly mean they anticipate more, or a continued amount of people releasing equity.... even though we've seen this increase dramatically and expect it to dry up due to no more significant HPI, I can think of 2 possible reasons why this might not be so....

1. Baby boomer population retiring and mewing a bit to supplement pensions and live the high life for the next 10 years or so, still able to afford repayments and leave an inheritance, and

2. people who have not yet mewed, still with equity, who could mew in order to meet increased mortgage repayments in the event of an IR increase... a temporary measure that could work for some.

edited: ah yes, just looked up the article and it is indeed about the former. There's a surprise :D

Edited by xian