House Price Crash Forum

Cheap houses do exist

Drummer

HOLA441
HOLA442
1 minute ago, Drummer said:

Have a look at this:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-45359487.html

House in Burnley for £25k. Many have sold round there for less than that. Rent is circa £325pm. Therefore a gross yield of over 15%. Surely a slumlord's dream?

Not too big a risk for a BTLer?

The welsh valleys have areas with similar prices ..houses and rent, the problem arises IMO when the LL gets a large bill i.e boiler needs replacing ...there goes the best part of a years rent also the tenants in such ares tend to be far from "model tenants" coupled with maintenance hungry 100 plus year old houses ....the appeal is not just a high% yield   

HOLA443

This place sold for 48.5k in 2006. I thought the 118 tales of falls over the past 10 years were an exaggeration.  Probably snapped up based on yield % by someone with great business acumen and a mathematical mind. 

Cracking investment. Depreciates like a car. 

HOLA444
HOLA445
8 minutes ago, ThePiltdownMan said:

Could it be there's some dodgy accounting or money laundering going on in this area. https://houseprices.io/?q=Grange+Street%2c+Burnley

Looking at 2007 prices they are going about it the wrong way...... just a random house number https://houseprices.io/?q= 34+Grange+Street%2C+Burnley%2C+BB11+4JZ

HOLA446
HOLA447
8 hours ago, long time lurking said:

Looking at 2007 prices they are going about it the wrong way...... just a random house number https://houseprices.io/?q= 34+Grange+Street%2C+Burnley%2C+BB11+4JZ

Registered sales for your example....all over the place: 

01 May 2014£23,000

20 Nov 2012£14,950

28 Nov 2007£42,000

24 Apr 2007£39,000 *

21 Jun 2006£49,000 *

20 Mar 2006£34,000 *

04 May 2004£20,385 *

It is almost as though some investors are buying houses based on rent  v mortgage payment without a clue what the value of the underlying asset is worth. And reinforced by Dorkins comment re boarded up houses on the street view.  

Many who look at London etc think that this couldn't happen in place like London where there is a true underlying high value to property. I agree there is a true underlying value (and much higher than these in Burnley) but absolutely nowhere near where we see prices at the moment. 

HOLA448

There is, and has been a lot of cheap property in Burnley & surrounding areas - plenty of it a lot cheaper than this. With yields of typically 10-15%, on paper they make quite interesting investment prospects - however they're risky for a few reasons: 

1. They tend to be rough areas that attract the sort of tenants you're liable to find on Britain's benefit tenants - the sort of young professionals so beloved of BTLers won't be queuing up to live there.

2. Because of 1, the odds on the landlord getting the rent paid reliably aren't great. 

3. The chances of repair costs through damage to/neglect of property are well above average. 

4. Chances are these older terraces will need capital expenditure sooner rather than later. 

5. Unless there's significant regeneration of the areas in question (not likely) the chances of capital growth through HPI are near zero. The ceiling price on such properties are typically £35-45,000 tops. 

Bearing the above in mind, unless you're very careful/lucky - the odds on getting a decent return on your investment are pretty poor to non existent. 

Buying as an OO as do-er uppers, they can make sense if you're prepared to be careful about how much you spend & can live with the potential downsides of the area. The differences in price between older houses & new builds are genuinely hair raising. 

HOLA449
16 hours ago, Drummer said:

Have a look at this:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-45359487.html

House in Burnley for £25k. Many have sold round there for less than that. Rent is circa £325pm. Therefore a gross yield of over 15%. Surely a slumlord's dream?

Not too big a risk for a BTLer?

I guess it's fine if you wish to live under Sharia law. 10 mosques within 1.2 miles. Maybe White in-flight is needed.

HOLA4410

I can see "value" for a FTB OO who needs somewhere to live. I fully agree that the maintenance costs can (will?) be higher due to the type of property and likely tenant. Additionally I also agree that rent voids/delays would occur more often.

Saying that, you get Premiership football on your doorstep and nice walks in the Pennines are not far away. Manchester is 27miles away (45mins according to google) in case you actually need to work!

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
1 hour ago, Drummer said:

I can see "value" for a FTB OO who needs somewhere to live. I fully agree that the maintenance costs can (will?) be higher due to the type of property and likely tenant. Additionally I also agree that rent voids/delays would occur more often.

Saying that, you get Premiership football on your doorstep and nice walks in the Pennines are not far away. Manchester is 27miles away (45mins according to google) in case you actually need to work!

I live 9 miles from Burnley in a house that cost £30,000 - so my comments on OO are based on my own experience. FWIW, while I'm not going to claim that East Lancs is the perfect place to live - it does have plenty going for it. 

Older houses are definitely more expensive to heat compared with new builds as they are usually less well insulated and if you try to add insulation then condensation damp becomes a risk if you're not careful as older houses need to breathe. After that the main occupational hazard is whether the "once in a lifetime" jobs like rewiring, reroofing, etc need doing & if so when. Two or three big jobs like that in quick succession will eat any savings pretty quickly & chances are a very cheap house will need 1 or 2 at least. If you can do that sort of work yourself &/or have contacts & don't mind living in a building site from time to time - then its not that big a headache TBH. As I see it, its far better than throwing money at greedy banksters/developers/scumlords (delete as appropriate) to have somewhere to live. 

HOLA4413

At first I thought it was where the race riots were a few years ago.  Actually it isn't.  It's within walking distance of a rail station which takes you to Manchester, Leeds, and Preston.  Also few minutes' drive to M-way junction of M65.

So not bad location for getting out the place.

Down on Trafalgar St you have every junk food outlet you could dream of, Macdonalds, KFC, Wock noodles, Pizzahut takeaway, Greggs, Subway etc.

It's not exactly young loves' dream round there though.  I can't see many young ladies being swept off their feet when they see their new home :)