House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Lego and the daily wail

Moar SJWing - didn't take long for Gary Lineker to get in on the act >

Since they're against the Daily Mail, they don't need a reason to hate it - when pressed it's usually along the lines of "the column of shame" or "they're racist init".

27 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

Did they advertise in it anyway?
Will they ensure their sellers don't advertise there either?

They do regular promos which involve Lego giveaways, don't they?

Frankly, I have no problem with this kind of campaigning - especially as the Mail has been one of the champions of HPI for year.  Mail supporters are free to target Guardian advertisers if they wish. 

1 minute ago, StainlessSteelCat said:

They do regular promos which involve Lego giveaways, don't they?

Frankly, I have no problem with this kind of campaigning - especially as the Mail has been one of the champions of HPI for year.  Mail supporters are free to target Guardian advertisers if they wish. 

No idea. Don't buy a paper. Only see papers in the shops very occasionally. 

52 minutes ago, StainlessSteelCat said:

Mail supporters are free to target Guardian advertisers if they wish. 

#stopfundingidiocy maybe?

The Daily Mail must be the most popular paper in the uk, if you consider online and physical.

For Lego to role over to a campaign initiated by max a couple of 100 people is crazy.

1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

So, did millions of people contact Lego or was it a small but vocal twitter group? I have no idea what this is about btw.

The StopFundingHate campaign did it. New campaign, with 144k likes on Facebook and Gary Lineker seems to be emerging as a figurehead (he has said he will stop walkers from using his image in future, if they keep advertising in the sun and daily mail etc).

More censorship and silencing.

if the Mail is printing untruths and libel, sue them.  If not, stop whinging.

32 minutes ago, wherebee said:

More censorship and silencing.

if the Mail is printing untruths and libel, sue them.  If not, stop whinging.

Its not censorship. They can print whatever they want. People and organisations have a free choice whether or not they fund it, and the DM has no right to their money. Apparently enough Lego customers don't like their money being redirected to the daily mail that they have had an impact,

No, it is censorship.  No different than Mary Whitehouse complaining about filth on TV because of her personal views.  The left have become the new fascists, afraid to debate, happy to oppress.

7 minutes ago, wherebee said:

No, it is censorship.  No different than Mary Whitehouse complaining about filth on TV because of her personal views.  The left have become the new fascists, afraid to debate, happy to oppress.

if you want them to print it you fund it.

Personally I don't want to give money to companies that fund vile newspapers like the DM. I don't have a problem if newspapers want to criticise the decision of those three judges. When they say its unacceptable and mention in the same sentence that  one of them is openly gay (and that is relevant why?) for example I do have a problem with the paper.

5 hours ago, canbuywontbuy said:

Moar SJWing - didn't take long for Gary Lineker to get in on the act >

Since they're against the Daily Mail, they don't need a reason to hate it - when pressed it's usually along the lines of "the column of shame" or "they're racist init".

has Lineker realised he is a bit long in the tooth for match of the day, and is looking for another schtick?

Quite reminiscent of that other unlikely SJW Charlotte Church, though I think the media gone off her a bit.

1 hour ago, Saver said:

if you want them to print it you fund it.

Personally I don't want to give money to companies that fund vile newspapers like the DM. I don't have a problem if newspapers want to criticise the decision of those three judges. When they say its unacceptable and mention in the same sentence that  one of them is openly gay (and that is relevant why?) for example I do have a problem with the paper.

Oh good grief. The lunacy is spreading here now. 

23 minutes ago, reddog said:

has Lineker realised he is a bit long in the tooth for match of the day, and is looking for another schtick?

Quite reminiscent of that other unlikely SJW Charlotte Church, though I think the media gone off her a bit.

I really don't follow what lineacher does, but the footy followers might know.  Does he have a new burd who is a sjw?

I don't think Lineker would be saying stuff like that if it wasn't for the fact he has had 20 years on easy Street with the BBC.

Yet another reason to scrap the TV licence!

24 minutes ago, One-percent said:

I really don't follow what lineacher does, but the footy followers might know.  Does he have a new burd who is a sjw?

Saint Lineker who never comes under criticism despite the fact the Internet is laced with reports about him from various women. Once the BBC contract is over maybe this will change.  Maybe the DM can dish it all up now. 

The popular vote of 15m readers a day and growing will be interesting to see how it pans out. 

His brother seems a real nice guy too.

No more Lego for me. I've felt awkward buying it since that c4 documentary where it sounded like a bit of a cult. A shame they couldn't stay as a toy without the politics. 

After Brexit and now Trump the left are feeling hurt and angry.

Shutting down debate with loud, angry social media campaigns makes them feel better.   Ironically,  if successful they'll just make average people feel even more disenfranchised and unrepresented and then we'll see an even greater backlash to the right.

36 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

The BBC seems to be linking this to the way in which the DM reported on the Brexit court case. I'm not sure where that comes from, but the BBC does seem to be wounded at the moment. Scroll to the bottom of the article where it's been tacked on: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37962425

What bastards.

Yes, I believe that's was the final straw is spurring the start up of the Stopfundinghate campaign or perhaps an accelerant. Specifically, the callout that one of the judges was an openly gay ex-Olympic fencer like it would have some bearing on his ability to take decisions. 

I personally think it's a bit of a stretch to call that hate speech and normal modus operandi for the Mail. But I don't really have a problem with the Mail getting a kicking given the contribution its made to promoting HPI in this country. 

Is the Mail free to print whatever it likes providing it's legal - of course it is. Equally, I have no problem with others trying to modify its behaviour through running campaigns that hit it where it hurts. Both fall under free speech to me.   The Mail is free to ignore or respond as appropriate. 

Perhaps the HPC massive might considered similar tactics to get it to stop putting our pro-HPI stories all of the time...? 

9 minutes ago, StainlessSteelCat said:

Yes, I believe that's was the final straw is spurring the start up of the Stopfundinghate campaign or perhaps an accelerant. Specifically, the callout that one of the judges was an openly gay ex-Olympic fencer like it would have some bearing on his ability to take decisions. 

I personally think it's a bit of a stretch and normal modus operandi for the Mail.  Is the Mail free to print whatever it likes providing it's legal - of course it is. Equally, I have no problem with others trying to modify its behaviour through running campaigns that hit it where it hurts. Both fall under free speech to me.   The Mail is free to ignore or respond as appropriate. 

Perhaps the HPC massive might considered similar tactics to get it to stop putting our pro-HPI stories all of the time...? 

My concerns lie with the unnecessary politicisation of a toy manufacturer that should keep its nose out of such things. What business does Lego have in trying to form popular opinion in adults when all it does is makes plastic bricks? They're a Danish company anyway. If they're that bloody bothered, how about stop charging a massive markup on your products that clearly don't reflect the cost to manufacturing; indeed one could argue, in a warped way a la Twitterati, that 'Lego Are Disproportionately Harming The Poorest Kids In Society' or something. 

In all seriousness a small business should keep out of such issues when it has no direct involvement in them.

And if you're going to organise a boycott of pro-HPI outlets you'd end up not reading anything. :lol:

2 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

And if you're going to organise a boycott of pro-HPI outlets you'd end up not reading anything. :lol:

I haven't bought a "news"paper for the best part of a decade. Partly due to BTL/HPI shit and all.

11 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

My concerns lie with the unnecessary politicisation of a toy manufacturer that should keep its nose out of such things. What business does Lego have in trying to form popular opinion in adults when all it does is makes plastic bricks? They're a Danish company anyway. If they're that bloody bothered, how about stop charging a massive markup on your products that clearly don't reflect the cost to manufacturing; indeed one could argue, in a warped way a la Twitterati, that 'Lego Are Disproportionately Harming The Poorest Kids In Society' or something. 

In all seriousness a small business should keep out of such issues when it has no direct involvement in them.

I do see what you are saying.  

The pro-HPI papers get nothing from me. I haven't bought a copy for more than a decade, and I surf their sites with adblockers.  The last paper I bought was a copy of the Morning Star in about 2010. 

3 hours ago, libspero said:

After Brexit and now Trump the left are feeling hurt and angry.

I didn't know that Lego was a leftie organisation... :rolleyes:

Apart from that the DM is full of junk and propaganda like all other MSM, only more blatantly so as it's clearly targeted at those with an IQ below 50, therefore I don't quite get it why it's so revered here.