House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

happy_renting

This cartoon strip amused me...

30 minutes ago, paulokes said:

Reminds me...this week I are mostly thinking about 'Resilience'.

Saw a study about recovery from illness in older people.  The quote that jumped out was a bloke who had been diagnosed with Dementia...a progressive, uncut able,  life altering condition. It's all about acceptance he said...and taking responsibility for your condition...you got it now, so what really you going to do...

I heard about service in London for mental health difficulties related to adolescent development problems.  They take self referrals from adults up to 30 (yep 30)...because part of adolescence is moving away from home, choosing a career...and so many young adults haven't dealt with this yet.

Meanwhile in children's services the focus is always on adjusting the environment around the child...home, school, pressure, expectations...because a child is not expected to adapt to 'unreasonable' circumstances.

Heard about a mum who has taken to locking her and her children in the bathroom because her 6 year old is too 'aggressive' and she's frightened of him.

So yep. ..Resilience.  We ain't teaching it.  Or boundaries.  Or Accepting that sh1t sometimes is what it is...it's how we react that counts.

P

Happened to an acquaintance of mine recently.   He was 8 but managed to hospitalise her.  Teachers are terrified of him as well...

Nevertheless, I can't help but think that there is a reasonable response to this other than running.  Dunno.  My children are appropriately scared of me...

angry-pointing-out-emoticon-away-7076991