HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
21 minutes ago, winkie said:

My chipy said 25kg sack pots last year was approx £5.....same time this year £8.50.....the farmers selling most of what they have grown to the continent getting a good price something to do with the value of the pound.;)

Exactly.  A massive portion would be 500g, so 50 massive portions per sack -- or max 10p worth of potato per portion is now 17p.  I'm extraordinarily happy for the chippie to pass on the max 7p increase in costs to their customers.

I'd accept that the biggest part of their costs are taxes, wages and rent.  I'd have to see the increase in these costs before I'd happily accept any other increase in prices.

As I've said in other posts, at this stage inflation is largely about the willingness of customers to bear prices increases -- as the media has been going on about inflation we're seeing price increases.  That is it.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
4 minutes ago, dgul said:

Exactly.  A massive portion would be 500g, so 50 massive portions per sack -- or max 10p worth of potato per portion is now 17p.  I'm extraordinarily happy for the chippie to pass on the max 7p increase in costs to their customers.

I'd accept that the biggest part of their costs are taxes, wages and rent.  I'd have to see the increase in these costs before I'd happily accept any other increase in prices.

As I've said in other posts, at this stage inflation is largely about the willingness of customers to bear prices increases -- as the media has been going on about inflation we're seeing price increases.  That is it.

100%.

They are purposely priming us up to expect inflation/rising costs/increase of things we purchase regularly  .....prices will rise to the maximum they think the customer will bear before transactions and or turnover falls....I would say they hope any extra will go towards pay increases that will help keep the plates spinning.;)

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I picked up a tub of cottage cheese in lidl today - wondered why there were loads of tubs on the shelf. Got home and put it in the fridge next to tub I bought last week. The new tub is 200g and the old one is 300g. Lidl have shrunk the product by 33%.

Sainsbury own brand butter was 89p 2 weeks ago. Now it is £1.10.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
4 hours ago, dgul said:

And theyre NOW only going on about inflation because we Brexited.

What about the shrinking pot noodles bog rolls and cornettos of the last 6 years.

HOLA4417
17 minutes ago, shindigger said:

And theyre NOW only going on about inflation because we Brexited.

What about the shrinking pot noodles bog rolls and cornettos of the last 6 years.

That's right.  They couldn't get away with price increases before so they had to use stealth.  Now that the media is going on about inflation they can be more overt.

HOLA4418
5 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I picked up a tub of cottage cheese in lidl today - wondered why there were loads of tubs on the shelf. Got home and put it in the fridge next to tub I bought last week. The new tub is 200g and the old one is 300g. Lidl have shrunk the product by 33%.

Sainsbury own brand butter was 89p 2 weeks ago. Now it is £1.10.

Lidl and Aldi experiment with product sizes. Aldi's muesli suddenly went up from about £1.70 to over £2 about six months ago which was baffling - until I realised the packet size had increased from 750g to £1kg. This last week, price and packet size has reduced again.

Chips are such a rare treat - once or twice a year - that providing they are under about £3 for a decent portion that tastes great I have no real qualms. Still better value than a cup of muddy water.

HOLA4419
16 hours ago, winkie said:

My chipy said 25kg sack pots last year was approx £5.....same time this year £8.50.....the farmers selling most of what they have grown to the continent getting a good price something to do with the value of the pound.;)

Nothing to do with GBP yet. Potato prices were already high this season before the referendum. Late planting in the Spring caused by the weather, as well as lower levels of sunlight in the early Summer means there was a lower crop yield. Now that they are out of the ground and in storage, we're also beginning to see a lot of bacterial rot.

It's mainly UK potatoes in supply at the moment. When the large volumes of imports start, we will start seeing currency related inflation.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
17 hours ago, uptherebels said:

You lot clearly don't frequent Five Guys :)

Bloody hell, what is the deal with that place. I went in there in London, paid a fiver for a milkshake because my nephew said it was worth it - biggest rip off ever. I don't get the hype at all and won't ever go back. A veggie burger, chips and milkshake was about £15!  I was only a few steps away from taking them to the Small Claims Court!

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

It's an American burger chain that has somehow convinced the gullible in this country that it's of superior quality and therefore can justify charging £8 for a burger.

If I had to rate it, I didn't find it much different to Burger King. Not quite down there with Mcdonalds but the hype is puzzling. The only things of interest are that you get free refills on drinks, and free peanuts.

Archived