House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fully Detached

Cable / Connectors

Quick question for the Off Topic experts, if you don't mind - never let me down yet :)

I need to buy this item, but the 2.2m power cable is too short, so I need to extend it by about 5m. The problem is that I don't know what you'd call that type of connector - looks to me like I need a length of cable with both male and female couplings, one either end, but since I don't know what to google, I'm not going to find it. 

Can anyone tell me what to look for?

Google DC power extension cable.  They're often sold for CCTV cameras so try CCTV in the description (on ebay CCTV DC extension cable will bring up loads for a few £).

You'll need to know the diameter of plug -- difficult to know from the picture.  Buy it first, measure its diameter, then buy the extension cable with matching diameter plug/socket (it is probably 2.5mm, but don't buy one based on my guess).

It is only 12W load so pretty much anything will work fine.  Note that it'll probably get eaten by mice / chickens / foxes, so don't be surprised if you need to get a new one (perhaps wrap up the 2.2m attached to the device in a little box and attach a 5m extension -- that way you can seal the connection (not that big a deal, frankly) but also easily replace the extension cable if it gets broken).

Measure the diameter, and length of the plug. Maplin or RS are your friends.

Just now, happy_renting said:

An possible alternative is to use a mains extension lead with a 13A plug & 13A socket.

Said like an engineer. Each will have a different solution, and none can agree.:o

Fantastic, thanks chaps! I'll do as advised for once and wait for the thing to turn up, but at least I know what to look for now. Wasn't expecting sub zero temperatures quite this early. Damn winter...

More importantly, I didn't know you have to think about a heating plate for poultry drinkers. Those poor chickens that get forgotten about in winter.

1 minute ago, 200p said:

More importantly, I didn't know you have to think about a heating plate for poultry drinkers. Those poor chickens that get forgotten about in winter.

I was wondering whether it was the product, that nobody knew they didn't have!:o

12 minutes ago, happy_renting said:

IF there is such a thing as a chicken brush, I want one.

Would compliment the bee brush nicely.

1 hour ago, 200p said:

You don't really need one, but it saves going out there every morning and potentially several times throughout the day to break the ice in a very cold spell. When technology makes my life easier, I'm an eager consumer :)

3 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

I have one just like that. Never laid a single egg and now crows every morning like a bloody rooster. She's not, I mean I do know she's a hen. But she doesn't.

A butch hen?

1 hour ago, Scunnered said:

All you need is a soldering iron and some copper wire.

Edit: ... and some rubber shoes for the chickens.

Rubber shoes, or a rubber mat.

Or a rubber trampoline, which opens up other possibilities for chickens.

1 hour ago, 200p said:

Isn't it hazardous to reheat a chicken?