House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spyguy

Tesco Bank

I got the text this morning. Luckily as my work season has now finished, and I only use the bank account to receive payments from customers I only have about £1.30 in there.

Tesco Interest rates are pretty good so we have max for FSCS in each account. I have checked and we are unaffected although I am interested to know how they have found a way in. Our accounts are only accessed from one computer and their security seems pretty good so I am not concerned.

26 minutes ago, 200p said:

I did think when we'd post a thread on this - maybe it is no surprise in this day and age?

The news broke 4 hours ago.

There was mutterings this AM.

I could not find anything.

Info is dripping out, bit by bit.

It sounds horrendous. As in, regulation changing, going to jail type thing.

4 minutes ago, man o' the year said:

Tesco Interest rates are pretty good so we have max for FSCS in each account. I have checked and we are unaffected although I am interested to know how they have found a way in. Our accounts are only accessed from one computer and their security seems pretty good so I am not concerned.

Their security may indeed be good.

It smells like their employees are not.

I received an e mail on Sunday morning to get in touch with Tesco urgently. Thought it might be pfishing to begin with, and could not to get through on their normal published helpline, but saw an article in Daily Mail posted before lunch time Sunday about what was going on. So far no suspicious activity on my account.

12 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Their security may indeed be good.

It smells like their employees are not.

I'm sure Tesco has outsourced a lot of their banking IT following the RBS model

45 minutes ago, eek said:

I'm sure Tesco has outsourced a lot of their banking IT following the RBS model

Yes - here http://www.tescobengaluru.com/  (Originally posted on the register forums)

That said Tescos have had nothing to do with RBS for years. They've had plenty of time to sort themselves out. At present most people seem to think its malicious and connected to the recent redundancy of 250 head office staff in Edinburgh.

Just throwing a light onto how vulnerable we all are to technology or the failure of technology to work when compromised, especially when there are fewer real people working for ever larger firms. ;)

http://www.tescobengaluru.com/media-centre/media-centre/article/how-retail-giant-tesco-handled-the-e-comm-onslaught-the-hindu-businessline

How do you look at the kind of talent available here?

Most of the back- and front-end systems are developed here. The UK technology office is a satellite to the Bengaluru office.

Teams that are developing websites, mobile apps, data warehousing, business intelligence all sit here.

Edited by 200p