House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

libspero

Sailing La Vagabonde

I may have posted a couple of times about my interest in sailing..   

I'm not usually one for watching VLOGs,  but I've found this one captivating..  it's a guy and a girl who,  with no prior sailing experience,  bought a yacht and are sailing it around different parts of the world.

They're not especially rich kids,  he saved up for 8 years doing off-shore work to buy the boat.

Some might say they're an accident waiting to happen,  but I actually quite admire their attitude to life.

You'll probably love it or hate it..   enjoy  (or not)

Episode 5 of 61 (so far..  they're still sailing):

That's interesting. I met an Oz-American couple in Chianti who were doing the same. They'd saved, flown to Bremen where they had bought a boat and had sailed down the coast as far as Pisa where they had moored their yatch to explore Chiantishire on a scooter for a few days. Before winter they were going to sail the Atlantic to the US.

1 hour ago, Bossybabe said:

An accident waiting to happen. When the batteries of the GPS run out, they'll be hopelessly lost. (Ex-Coastguard, me!)

I bought my small boat and sailed it home on my own along the south coast. The electrics failed so I had no gps. I had no charts either. I just kept the land on the left and stopped when I got to the Isle of Wight. I thought I was going to die a couple of times but I made it in the end. Portland Bill is the only really tricky bit. True story.

Just now, whitevanman said:

I bought my small boat and sailed it home on my own along the south coast. The electrics failed so I had no gps. I had no charts either. I just kept the land on the left and stopped when I got to the Isle of Wight. I thought I was going to die a couple of times but I made it in the end. Portland Bill is the only really tricky bit. True story.

A simple strategy that dose not always work   http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1269257/Man-sailing-round-UK-using-road-map-circling-Isle-Sheppey-Kent-coast.html :lol:

What so many novices forget are the sandbars, rocks and wrecks that you can't see at any state of the tide. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they can't sink you...

2 hours ago, RichB said:

Just be a little careful when you go too far from civilisation.

They do run into some (suspected) pirates.

They manage to fight them off by throwing tinned food at them.  Lucky escape.

1 hour ago, Bossybabe said:

What so many novices forget are the sandbars, rocks and wrecks that you can't see at any state of the tide. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they can't sink you...

Yes..  they have a depth sounder so I guess that helps a bit.  I think he also has a bit more experience than he lets on having done off-shore work.

Well, I've done off-shore work, and all I know about, is about sitting in helicopters.:o

A mate of mine did his sailing master's certificate, so he can hire boats now.

It sounds fun but the sea can be dangerous.

50 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Well, I've done off-shore work, and all I know about, is about sitting in helicopters.:o

A mate of mine did his sailing master's certificate, so he can hire boats now.

It sounds fun but the sea can be dangerous.

I did my Yachtmasters back in the day when we had two or three boats in the family. I also have a Marine Radio Operator Certificate, which came in handy when marshalling the Cowes - Torquay and Round the Island power boat races. Simultaneously I took photos of them with a large telephoto lens from the moving deck without the aid of a tripod. Nowadays I'd be lucky if I could stand on deck hanging on with both hands!!

2 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

I did my Yachtmasters back in the day when we had two or three boats in the family. I also have a Marine Radio Operator Certificate, which came in handy when marshalling the Cowes - Torquay and Round the Island power boat races. Simultaneously I took photos of them with a large telephoto lens from the moving deck without the aid of a tripod. Nowadays I'd be lucky if I could stand on deck hanging on with both hands!!

I have the Amateur Radio Certificate, but I have the full version, so I am allowed to work from ships with the master's permission. Not that I ever dol

I've only got day skipper at the moment (a couple of ticks away from coastal).

In all honesty though I probably learned more from dingy sailing than a couple weeks on a big boat. Pieces of paper are always useful to have though.

1 minute ago, libspero said:

I've only got day skipper at the moment (a couple of ticks away from coastal).

In all honesty though I probably learned more from dingy sailing than a couple weeks on a big boat. Pieces of paper are always useful to have though.

Keep on going Libby! Your telescope and parrot are in the post!:huh:

5 hours ago, GreenDevil said:

Interesting vids.

Also of note, these guys are making a fortune, using Patreon crowdfunding, 7500 USD per episode, ie 30k per month !!

Yes, they've completely lucked out.  A French luxury yacht company has just gifted them a brand new £million+ Catamaran in a marketing agreement. They pick it up in Feb..  lucky frackers.

8 hours ago, libspero said:

Yes, they've completely lucked out.  A French luxury yacht company has just gifted them a brand new £million+ Catamaran in a marketing agreement. They pick it up in Feb..  lucky frackers.

Yeah, but part of the attraction is a couple of newbs making their way round the globe on an average boat, once the money hits, flash boats etc big company etc, it will lose its appeal. 

59 minutes ago, GreenDevil said:

Yeah, but part of the attraction is a couple of newbs making their way round the globe on an average boat, once the money hits, flash boats etc big company etc, it will lose its appeal. 

quite so

What struck me as sad was the amount of money they were raising from people who are no doubt just wishing they could get out of their own situation and live their dream.

While a large part is 'get off your 4rse", luck, opportunity and lastly money make a huge difference, and both the owners of Vagabond and Delos started out with good money.

The amount of small donations for the videos reveals how many unfulfilled dreams there are among the young.

While I applaud their choice of lifestyle, I thought I noticed a bit of condescension creeping into the later videos.