House Price Crash Forum

Estate agent flyers

m0nk3ee

HOLA441

House next door has just been let which prompted the estate agent to post a flyer through our door addressed to "The Occupier". The flyer was an advertisement explaining how long it took them to find a tenant for next door and stated they are in need of similar rental properties.  It then went on to detail how much the tenants next door are paying in rent each month! 

It pissed me off that they shared this detail with me, is that legal? As far as I am concerned the amount of rent they agreed to pay is a private matter between themselves and their landlord.

When the neighbours the other side remortgage their property I don't get a letter explaining how much their monthly payments are.

Perhaps I'm being too sensitive but would be interested to know other people's views.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
4 hours ago, canbuywontbuy said:

They probably posted such a flyer to every house on your street. 

I would show the flyer to your new neighbours - hopefully they will comlpain to their letting agents (you should complain too).

Now you know they are new and renting you can go round and introduce yourself and tell them why the previous ones left.

Then enquiry if they are really paying £xxx a month, don't you feel ripped off we are only paying....

HOLA445
45 minutes ago, eek said:

Now you know they are new and renting you can go round and introduce yourself and tell them why the previous ones left.

Then enquiry if they are really paying £xxx a month, don't you feel ripped off we are only paying....

Very good!

These "to the legal owner" letters always annoy me - almost always from estate agents.

Number one, land law in the UK on my leasehold flat means that there are layers of ownership, starting at the queen and ending at me, a tenant, via the freeholder and the long-leaseholder.

On the basis that I "own" my tenancy agreement and am the legal occupier, I open these anyway in case they are baliffs threatening to kick the door down and repossess my things for someone else's debt.

If it's definitely estate agent material (you can see the return address on the reverse sometimes) I return to sender and ask to be removed from their mailing lists.

I would tell them the queen doesn't reside here, but I suspect it would be lost on them...

HOLA446

So they're not even trying to encourage you to actually sell your property with them, just rent it out (innit)

I don't know why we still even refer to any of them as Estate Agents anymore... they're clearly getting almost their entire income as Lettings Agents.