House Price Crash Forum

Have most of the Christmas temp jobs gone?

200p

HOLA441

With Woolworth s gone (largely replaced by Poundland) , and most of the high street shops not appearing to have signs in the window "looking for Christmas temp help",. Where are the next generation of workers going to get work experience or get a foot in the door?

I know the Post Office have been advertising, so that is still good news.

"We" as a nation shopping more at the discounters - are they taking on temps over the next 2 months?

I think one of my first jobs was a Christmas temp job, and I was kept on after Christmas because I was "good". "

HOLA442

Isn't that part and parcel of the decline of the high street owing to out of town retailers and online shopping?

The pull for temporary staff from the Christmas buying rush will be in those areas: delivery drivers, warehouse and packing staff.  Warehouse staff will be wherever the warehouses are but delivery drivers will be everywhere.

A quick google for seasonal delivery jobs gives this for Amazon as a featured result:

Hourly Fulfilment Associate Jobs

Join our Seasonal Team!

Amazon's mission is to be Earth's most customer-centric company, where people can discover anything they want to buy online – and get it fast. Throughout the European Union, Amazon offers customers millions of items in more than 30 product categories. The Amazon fulfilment network in Europe consists of 31 fulfilment centres, which dispatch packages to tens of millions of customers. An order by a European customer could be stored in any one of our European locations.

http://www.amazondelivers.jobs/about/our-opportunities/hourly-fulfillment-jobs/uk-jobs

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
29 minutes ago, winkie said:

What would the economy do without Christmas it would surely suffer......and fewer people than ever bother to go to Church to celebrate the birth of Christ.... ;)

I think the recent CofE figures showed that annual church attendance was down again this year but attendance at festivals was up, although perhaps many at midnight on Xmas eve may not know quite why they are there, being a choice between a kebab or a sing song

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
14 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Every one I know - in the real world - seems to be waiting for this Black Friday to buy stuff.

These being presumably the very same people who will be buying the ?kondo book to help them declutter their wardrobes and houses.

I know a handful of people who are into shopping and possessions.  I know far more people who base their lives around their family, friends, hobbies or their pets (usually dogs); all much more worthwhile things IMO.

That is actually the nearest I have come to hearing Black Friday mentioned in RL as opposed to in the media.  I did like that last year a couple I know, caught up in the media hype, joined the queue to get into Tesco Extra when it opened at midnight.  They grabbed some heavily discounted TV because other people were doing so.  As they continued around the store they decided they didn't really want the telly anyway so put it back and left. Sensible people.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
5 minutes ago, MrPin said:

What tat shall I buy next?

I was actually quizzed by my ex the other day (we got on quite well) as to what I had actually bought in the last year.  I had to really think and all I could come up with was a ladder which I bought because I didn't have one.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
15 minutes ago, anonguest said:

That financial lifeline possibly the only thing keeping Swansea solvent??!  Does Swansea do anything else??

It vastly inflates the number of people required to administer the online payment of a road tax in the 21st century.

HOLA4415
4 minutes ago, SNACR said:

It vastly inflates the number of people required to administer the online payment of a road tax in the 21st century.

Oh of course, DVLA.  How could I have forgotten that?!  (HInt:  Needs to urgently check if road tax is due!)

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Although a lot of recruitment is online, it certainly seems there are fewer seasonal jobs at the moment (looking for my daughter). I suspect that zero hours contracts enabled by tax credits mean a lot of shops have all the flexible working staff they need, all year round.

HOLA4422

Sadly, there still appears to be plenty of seasonal work available to the likes of Christopher Biggins, Su Pollard, Joe Pasquale, and the friggin' Krankies..!

:(

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

HOLA4423
1 hour ago, The XYY Man said:

Sadly, there still appears to be plenty of seasonal work available to the likes of Christopher Biggins, Su Pollard, Joe Pasquale, and the friggin' Krankies..!

XYY

Fandabidozy!

HOLA4424
2 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

XYY

Were you and one of the Mrs XYY on the Co durham/Krankies swapping scene?

I can see you, spit roasting wee jimmy, high fiving over his/her back.

Fandabbydoosey

HOLA4425

Archived