House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

curious1

Football Poppies

I guess it's to remember all those fallen footballers in the trenches!:blink:

There was an article in the paper about one of the 2016 faces of he Poppy campaign.

Now, Id always thought Poppies were meant to be remembrance for WW1. The it evolved and raise a bit of money for the squaddies.

I read this and thought Eh?

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/community/stories/remembrance/they-told-me-i-d-never-walk-again/

Leave army. Has blot clot a few later. Not blown up or anything. And she's treated by the NHS.

I feel its stretching the goal a bit.

2 hours ago, MrPin said:

I guess it's to remember all those fallen footballers in the trenches!:blink:

My club kicked this off back in WWI.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCrae's_Battalion

Amazing it's so little known. If it was an EPL club we would hear about it every year no doubt.

I'm not sure about the football poppy thing though. Long time ago and it has to stop sometime.

I do get rather annoyed by literally every single person on e very TV show wearing one though. It's clearly not up to the individuals choice. Which makes it rather pointless. You also see lots on TV wearing snazzy sparkling 'special' poppies too. Crass imo.

9 minutes ago, ccc said:

My club kicked this off back in WWI.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCrae's_Battalion

Amazing it's so little known. If it was an EPL club we would hear about it every year no doubt.

I'm not sure about the football poppy thing though. Long time ago and it has to stop sometime.

I do get rather annoyed by literally every single person on e very TV show wearing one though. It's clearly not up to the individuals choice. Which makes it rather pointless. You also see lots on TV wearing snazzy sparkling 'special' poppies too. Crass imo.

The British Legion keep trying to make it about current troops/wars, not WW1 which most people associate it with. TV presenters are too scared not to wear one - will be crucified as not supporting 'our boys'.

When the last WW11 veteran dies I stop buying a poppy - all post WW11 conflicts that this country has got embroiled in have been for nefarious reasons (I might stretch to the last Korean veteran, I'm undecided about that conflict).

If the government wants to send them on bs wars, let them look after them properly and as that will lead to higher taxation it'll get said government voted out.

Poppies /Help for Heroes and their ilk simply subsidise war-mongering governments and give soldiers the impression that their war is just and supported by the public at large.

This is not a criticism of the British serviceman or woman but a polemic on our successive governments

46 minutes ago, knock out johnny said:

When the last WW11 veteran dies I stop buying a poppy - all post WW11 conflicts that this country has got embroiled in have been for nefarious reasons (I might stretch to the last Korean veteran, I'm undecided about that conflict).

If the government wants to send them on bs wars, let them look after them properly and as that will lead to higher taxation it'll get said government voted out.

Poppies /Help for Heroes and their ilk simply subsidise war-mongering governments and give soldiers the impression that their war is just and supported by the public at large.

This is not a criticism of the British serviceman or woman but a polemic on our successive governments

It does feel like it's become a symbol used to celebrate war, rather than a rejection of war.

The wearing of the poppy is compulsory as already mentioned in certain circles or you would face disciplinary.

No doubt a Corbynista playing for England who refused to wear the band would jeopardise his career. Therefore it is political.

As an anti Establishment Maverick I am with FIFA. The fact I could get castigated for making this point and put up for reeducation about not comprehending the sacrifice reinforces my point.

Possibly getting a bit sociological here but...

When I was a kid in the 80s, it was all about ww1 and 2, even then the participants were dying off so it was a slowly declining tradition.

Since 1997 there have been a lot of changes in society (decline in Christian religion, rise in Islamic religion, mass immigration), no one can real discuss this too much because of political correctness.  So instead they are attaching their feelings about this to the poppy.

I would not say this is exactly healthy, as they would be better off expressing there feelings freely, rather than channeling them through a bit of plastic and cardboard.

In my opinion when there is protest about someone not wearing a poppy it is a lot deeper than them not supporting war veterans.

Obviously I think it is stupid to let people wear political symbols on a football kit, and sets a dangerous precedent.  

I personally do not wear a poppy! I am very uncomfortable at about the "showing" of wearing it. Some of my colleagues are ex-service. I wonder what they will think of that?:mellow:

31 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I personally do not wear a poppy! I am very uncomfortable at about the "showing" of wearing it. Some of my colleagues are ex-service. I wonder what they will think of that?:mellow:

I suppose in part it depends on whether your ex-service colleague was an Oberleuntenant.

Better than wearing one of those ostentatious 'car poppies' on your radiator grill, and leaving it there all year long, indicating that no thought has really gone into displaying it.

Perhaps you should wear a novelty hat instead?

14 hours ago, ccc said:

There have been many other conflicts since 1918.

And the poppy serves as a reminder, and encourages people to contemplate, often at a personal level, on the true price of war. A few years ago I found that half of my ancestors were wiped out in WW1.

2 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

The wearing of the poppy is compulsory as already mentioned in certain circles or you would face disciplinary.

No doubt a Corbynista playing for England who refused to wear the band would jeopardise his career. Therefore it is political.

As an anti Establishment Maverick I am with FIFA. The fact I could get castigated for making this point and put up for reeducation about not comprehending the sacrifice reinforces my point.

Ironic isn't it? Poppy wearing should be a personal decision. If people are forced to wear one, it debases it's significance. It lacks sentiment and instead becomes simple conformism.

13 hours ago, Hail the Tripod said:

It does feel like it's become a symbol used to celebrate war, rather than a rejection of war.

It's not so much a rejection of war, more a commemoration of those who died in war.

13 hours ago, knock out johnny said:

+1 koj, I'm with you on that.

I ask myself WWJD in this situation? I've no doubt he would refuse to wear one and tear the establishment a new one over the whole militaristic poppy wearing intimidation that is promoted to garner support for their illegal and immoral wars.

18 minutes ago, happy_renting said:

There have been many other conflicts since 1918.

And the poppy serves as a reminder, and encourages people to contemplate, often at a personal level, on the true price of war. A few years ago I found that half of my ancestors were wiped out in WW1.

Lucky you had another half of ancestors! Likewise here, but I think some were on the wrong team.:o I reckon it still hurts, even with a smarter uniform.

A tough one. I've never agreed with all this Help For Heroes hysteria, not only because of the crass misuse of the word "hero" these days, but ultimately these people choose to fight in phony wars out of choice, so why should I be effectively shamed into supporting them?  It's unfortunate that a lot of them don't get enough assistance from the government but ultimately it's your own life and you make your own choices.

On the other hand, the fact that a paper poppy "offends" a certain increasingly unwelcome community, is enough for me to smother myself in the things. I'm only a few steps away from marching through a Muslim ghetto (like in today's Daily Mail) covered head to toe in red paper flowers.

PS: the cornflower is indeed beautiful flower, but equally, so is the poppy. Very easy to grow as well.

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

A tough one. I've never agreed with all this Help For Heroes hysteria, not only because of the crass misuse of the word "hero" these days, but ultimately these people choose to fight in phony wars out of choice, so why should I be effectively shamed into supporting them?  It's unfortunate that a lot of them don't get enough assistance from the government but ultimately it's your own life and you make your own choices.

On the other hand, the fact that a paper poppy "offends" a certain increasingly unwelcome community, is enough for me to smother myself in the things. I'm only a few steps away from marching through a Muslim ghetto (like in today's Daily Mail) covered head to toe in red paper flowers.

PS: the cornflower is indeed beautiful flower, but equally, so is the poppy. Very easy to grow as well.

Well, they join the armed forces, and all nations have them (except Costa Rica, which relies on the US for protection). So in principle, they are prepared to be there for an essential defence role at least.

As for then being sent into phony wars, it's only because we send them, or let them go. Have you ever told your MP that you are against a particular military action?

47 minutes ago, happy_renting said:

Well, they join the armed forces, and all nations have them (except Costa Rica, which relies on the US for protection). So in principle, they are prepared to be there for an essential defence role at least.

As for then being sent into phony wars, it's only because we send them, or let them go. Have you ever told your MP that you are against a particular military action?

As far as I'm concerned, "we" don't send them, "they" send them. If there had been a referendum on Iraq/Syria/whatever then I'd perhaps feel a morsel of guilt but as it stands I feel none. Only a fool would join the military in any frontline role - probably why their clever marketing usually targets 18 year olds out of school who have no plans on entering normal employment. If you can't see through the smoke and mirrors then that's your fault.

13 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

As far as I'm concerned, "we" don't send them, "they" send them. If there had been a referendum on Iraq/Syria/whatever then I'd perhaps feel a morsel of guilt but as it stands I feel none. Only a fool would join the military in any frontline role - probably why their clever marketing usually targets 18 year olds out of school who have no plans on entering normal employment. If you can't see through the smoke and mirrors then that's your fault.

You have a vote, I presume, and access to an MP. if you don't approve of a military action, let them know. It can make a difference, as in the vote against taking action in Syria showed. And if you do nothing to prevent it, you can hardly blame others.