House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John The Pessimist

They can't even lie well.....

I travel past this place every day. It's been empty for a while and in much poorer condition than the pictures suggest. The current owner has built & sold a barn conversion at the back. However they have struggled to shift the main house and there is a nice history of price reductions as they have attempted to shift it. The listing with the second ea is a relatively recent development which I took as a sign of desperation. Today I noticed a change to the text indicating that an offer has been received. Unfortunately the 2 firms can't keep their story aligned. 

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-45050367.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-44104923.html

12 minutes ago, John The Pessimist said:

I travel past this place every day. It's been empty for a while and in much poorer condition than the pictures suggest. The current owner has built & sold a barn conversion at the back. However they have struggled to shift the main house and there is a nice history of price reductions as they have attempted to shift it. The listing with the second ea is a relatively recent development which I took as a sign of desperation. Today I noticed a change to the text indicating that an offer has been received. Unfortunately the 2 firms can't keep their story aligned. 

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-45050367.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-44104923.html

Report them to the police

We advise that an offer has been made for the above property in the sum of £501,000 (Five Hundred and One Thousand Pounds Only) Any persons wishing to increase on this offer should notify (Agent Name) of their best offer prior to exchange of contracts.

Just LOL :lol:

3 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Report them to the police

..and Trading Standards:

A fine Grade II Listed late Georgian family house built around 1840 with large mature gardens on the outskirts of this attractive and sought after Conservation Village. 

Queen Victoria's reign 1837 - 1901 i.e. Victorian. Small beer but further proof of the thread title. 

I'd be pleased if I was buying it. That means they know they're selling it cheap and they don't like it. Common ea practice to put up notices like that. Nice place, good price too, anywhere near me it'd be 3 times the price and unsold for years.

43 minutes ago, GreenDevil said:

I'd be pleased if I was buying it. That means they know they're selling it cheap and they don't like it. Common ea practice to put up notices like that. Nice place, good price too, anywhere near me it'd be 3 times the price and unsold for years.

As I wrote in the OP, it has been vacant for a long time and is deteriorating at a rate of knots. Throw in council tax, and the liabilities associated with a listed building that is in decline, it's not surprising that they want to be shot of it. It looks cheap only because the photos are several years old and don't reflect the amount of work needed.

In the first link, they publicly state that the asking price has been offered by someone, yet it's still for sale. 

Think about this for a moment.

Anyone assuming this is true is going to have a feeling of utter disgust and contempt toward the estate agents:- 

• despite putting in an offer at asking price, the EA is not securing it for the bidder
  • the seller risks losing the sale because of EA greed - as soon as the bidder sees the listing updated, they would inevitably feel angry and cheated on, and likely withdraw the offer (weren't EAs supposed to make sales, not lose them?)

Of course, it's all lies and no offer was ever made (hence the other lie about the £501K offer).

My point being though - it makes the estate agents look like absolute idiots. 

1 hour ago, canbuywontbuy said:

In the first link, they publicly state that the asking price has been offered by someone, yet it's still for sale. 

Think about this for a moment.

The wording indicates its a repo where it seems common to mention an existing offer price, doesnt mean the offer is real of course.

50 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

The wording indicates its a repo where it seems common to mention an existing offer price, doesnt mean the offer is real of course.

Fair enough - I suppose that makes sense as it's more of an auction-like purchase.  I wonder if offers can be substantiated by EAs.  They'll probably say "no, we must protect the bidder's privacy", so they can make up "offers" all the time. 

Edited by canbuywontbuy