House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

Italian music

A few may have noticed my recent interest in learning Italian. He says, somewhat egotistically.

This comes about as a result of some of my favourite records being from Italy, though most have English lyrics and most are dance music.

Tying in neatly with my desire to expand my musical tastes which have led me largely to progressive rock, I want to explore Italian music further. Now I can understand what some of the lyrics are (the Italian still needs a lot of work) I can get more from the music.

What I'm looking for: recommendations for Italian music (specifically).

Not what you think I might like. What you like. Any genre.

--

Some of what I like..

I suspect this one is going to be the most palatable of my choices to some people. Kyras are brilliant IMO.

This is my all time #1- Euro/Italo dance, 1994. It's all in the melodies. A truly unique piece of music - never heard anything else like this (and that's from someone into dance music)

Ok, if you're not into dance or pop and like your listening to be more laidback, this one's for you.

This is also beautiful. Lyrics are pretty straightforward with this one ;) So romantic and beautiful.

Over to you.

14 minutes ago, ntb said:

Prog was big in Italy in the 70s

Indeed. We would probably have never heard of Genesis if it wasn't for the success of their earlier albums, in particular "Nursery Cryme", in Italy.

1 hour ago, Mark Uttley said:

My wife used to live in Italy and likes this guy, amongst others. Not my thing, I'm afraid.

There are more takers for this thread than I thought there might be :)

That one is so far removed from what I normally listen to - pretty much the polar opposite - I'd expect to hate it. And yet, I don't dislike it - there's something beautiful about Italian, it's so flowing - even the spoken language sounds like "singing" - and you couldn't ask for clearer easy to "get" lyrics even at my level.

I'm not sure I can identify precisely what it is about Italian music (cutting across all genres) that makes me so receptive to it, perhaps the Latin-esque melodies. I probably couldn't sit through an hour of ballads just like that one but they all have their place at the right time.

Listening through the others now, thanks - it's not really about finding "more of the same" (more dance music). If you like it then go ahead and post it.. thanks.

1 hour ago, The Eagle said:

Nice.

There's something of the "Breaking Bad" about that. You're setting a challenge there I think - my brain's translational buffering capability is expended very quickly with that one ;) 

Give it a few more months.. What on earth is the title.. something like "those who think right"? You knew I'd ask..

2 hours ago, The Eagle said:

Probably not the kind of italian music you are looking for:

The rap works so well in Italian with that ska sound. Really unusual and brilliant. Actually, this is the sort of thing I'm looking for ;) Something different - thanks!

12 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Give it a few more months.. What on earth is the title.. something like "those who think right"? You knew I'd ask..

The title is meant sarcastically, as a 'benpensante' is a conformist (so something rather negative) while 'pensare bene' means literally 'thinking well' (so in theory would imply something positive).

http://www.wordreference.com/iten/benpensante

2 minutes ago, DTMark said:

The rap works so well in Italian with that ska sound. Really unusual and brilliant. Actually, this is the sort of thing I'm looking for ;) Something different - thanks!

Lots of '99 Posse' songs are sung in Neapolitan slang so you will struggle to understand most of it. ;)

13 minutes ago, The Eagle said:

The title is meant sarcastically, as a 'benpensante' is a conformist (so something rather negative) while 'pensare bene' means literally 'thinking well' (so in theory would imply something positive).

http://www.wordreference.com/iten/benpensante

Thanks.

"It's not what it says, it's what it means".

That's where I struggle with it especially - even when I can "get" entire sentences - literally translated word for word - sometimes it's gibberish and/or has multiple possible meanings requiring context and/or a more detailed knowledge of sentence construction than I have.

This seems to be a big difference as English seems far more exacting and precise (when it needs to be/when used properly). Add in a certain poetic licence with song lyrics, then add irony, and I suspect I'm learning the hard way. But then I like a challenge ;) 

Is Italian music better than their cars and food?

16 hours ago, MrPin said:

Is Italian music better than their cars and food?

No food is better than Italian food and no cars are better-looking than Lamborghini ones ;)

Image result for lamborghini

The food is more practical than the cars, though..