House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spyguy

I hear no dogs barking

This post covers a number of posts - Carney, Bank regulation, leverage etc etc

' Despite the 2007-12 UK finance-cum-macro catastrophe and its ongoing aftermath, the size and role of finance remains all but absent from British political debate. '

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/2016/10/31/2178445/guest-post-dogs-not-barking/

The salient point is the UK finance is about 4 times bigger than the states, relative to the size of its economy.

There's lots of noise and chatter about IR and whether they should be higher. But nothing on the leverage in the UK finances.

Weirdly, Mervyn King comments (quietly) on this. Stuff like having the clawback and reducing leverage (and power) of the UK finance sector.

'In particular, it should now focus on driving up capital requirements and undoing the Bank of England’s dual promotional and regulatory mandates.

Such engagement will not suffice to prevent misfortune, as the US itself demonstrates. But we have tried the alternative. British dogs should be howling.'

15 minutes ago, spyguy said:

' Despite the 2007-12 UK finance-cum-macro catastrophe and its ongoing aftermath, the size and role of finance remains all but absent from British political debate. '

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/2016/10/31/2178445/guest-post-dogs-not-barking/

The salient point is the UK finance is about 4 times bigger than the states, relative to the size of its economy.

There's lots of noise and chatter about IR and whether they should be higher. But nothing on the leverage in the UK finances.

Weirdly, Mervyn King comments (quietly) on this. Stuff like having the clawback and reducing leverage (and power) of the UK finance sector.

'In particular, it should now focus on driving up capital requirements and undoing the Bank of England’s dual promotional and regulatory mandates.

Such engagement will not suffice to prevent misfortune, as the US itself demonstrates. But we have tried the alternative. British dogs should be howling.'

The British dogs are all too busy licking their own balls and saying how great they taste.

7 hours ago, spyguy said:

Cracking read. Thanks for flagging it. I buy all of it. Better is not good. Particularly like this line; “I cannot say if UK regulation is OK now unless you tell me if the goal is crisis 1 in a 100 or 1000 years”.

7 minutes ago, Bland Unsight said:

Cracking read. Thanks for flagging it. I buy all of it. Better is not good. Particularly like this line; “I cannot say if UK regulation is OK now unless you tell me if the goal is crisis 1 in a 100 or 1000 years”.

We seem to be getting 1 in 13 years.

Thing is, before 2007, I knew banks were leveraged. Id grossly underestimated by how much.

And thats a problem in the UK.

People always think that Wall Street wags the US dog. But the UK finance/banks are 4 times the the size of the state's, relative to GDP.

So, uniquely in the world, we have a grossly disproportionatly large finance sector that is leveraged beyond its/ our eyeballs.

3 minutes ago, spyguy said:

We seem to be getting 1 in 13 years.

Andrew Gamble put out a book in 2014 called Crisis Without End? The Unravelling of Western Prosperity. One way to avoid intermittent crises is to mire yourself in perpetual crisis.

We need to think outside the box!

BTL portfolios all round!

(Oh - we're already doing that last bit... )