House Price Crash Forum

BBC Fivelive Property Programme with Gabby Logan

HOLA441

There is a radio programme on Fivelive each week with Gabby Logan about buying houses. I have never listened to it but I have had the misfortune to listen to the endless promos for it on BBC Fivelive. Has anyone else listened to the promos - they are all about rising house prices, not too late to buy, property can only go up.

I find it pretty disgusting.

That's all I wanted to say really. Got that off my chest.

HOLA442

Yes, I've heard that trailer. It is sickening.

First, I loathe the over-use of the word "property" instead of "houses". I've met people who deliberately use the word and never utter the word "house" because they think it makes them sound important. There was a lot of that in the trailer.

Second, it contained the phrase (I think this is right) "there's no indication that we're past the peak".

Really? No indication? REALLY?

when I heard it, "my blood was literally boiling" to quote a 118 idiot :) lol

HOLA443
41 minutes ago, mrtickle said:

Yes, I've heard that trailer. It is sickening.

First, I loathe the over-use of the word "property" instead of "houses". I've met people who deliberately use the word and never utter the word "house" because they think it makes them sound important. There was a lot of that in the trailer.

Don't think that would pass the "Kid test" (Kids doing / saying things adults do / say to see if it looks right)

If two kids were playing with LEGO and one hoarded it all because they were there first, didn't actually build anything with it (e.g. like Land or sh***y BTL) called it "property", and said the other kid (who would have done something impressive with the lego) could have it in exchange for a lot of their sweets (money), then Mum or Dad (the economy), or at least others may see the kid as an obnoxious little s*** and fear they may grow up to be a greasy creep.

Adults being in a relative position of responsibility can normalize this however. If everyone's doing it / saying it then who's "judging the judges" ? where's the barometer? Long gone, and some, just like the kid would, while sitting on their fat **** would probably think I'm saying this because I'm just not successful / am jealous and don't earn above average from actually "doing something with Lego", and playing a part of the UK export industry.

Edited by Arpeggio

HOLA444

I heard it.

It does strike me that Gabby Logan got the job because she is incapable of critical thought.  Very eager to seek the thoughts of estate agents.  Although to be fair, for balance, she did seek the views of several estate agents.  I get the impression she would like to be married to an estate agent.  She seems to like them very much.

HOLA445
HOLA446
5 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

There is a radio programme on Fivelive each week with Gabby Logan about buying houses. I have never listened to it but I have had the misfortune to listen to the endless promos for it on BBC Fivelive. Has anyone else listened to the promos - they are all about rising house prices, not too late to buy, property can only go up.

I find it pretty disgusting.

That's all I wanted to say really. Got that off my chest.

Yep... horrendous. You actually couldn't go out of your way to find a more ramping (and wrong) excerpt to constantly air. Still, reminded me not to tune into 5 live ever again.

HOLA447

The BBC collection of beliefs: Clinton is better than Trump, property goes up forever, all teenagers must go to univeristy and get into debt, the EU is unquesionably good, there is no such thing as being against uncontrolled immigration, only pro or anti-immigration, and the BBC aren't biased in any way, shape or form.

HOLA448
2 hours ago, canbuywontbuy said:

The BBC collection of beliefs: Clinton is better than Trump, property goes up forever, all teenagers must go to univeristy and get into debt, the EU is unquesionably good, there is no such thing as being against uncontrolled immigration, only pro or anti-immigration, and the BBC aren't biased in any way, shape or form.

...And this is why I only ever refer to the BBC as the state controlled media.

It amazes me how the vast majority of the public can't see the BBC for what it really is, I very rarely watch it yet I'm fully aware that every day we have numerous programmes such as 'Claimed and Shamed' ' saints and Sinners' 'Rogue Traders' 'The Sheriffs are Coming'  etc etc... all aimed at making us be good little obedient law abiding citizens, nothing wrong with that in itself, but when was the last time you ever saw a daily programme (or any programme at all) on the BBC exposing corporate or governmental crime, corruption and greed?

Edited by nome

HOLA449
9 hours ago, Ballyk said:

I heard it.

It does strike me that Gabby Logan got the job because she is incapable of critical thought.  Very eager to seek the thoughts of estate agents.  Although to be fair, for balance, she did seek the views of several estate agents.  I get the impression she would like to be married to an estate agent.  She seems to like them very much.

Only reflects the mindstates of millions of other owners/market participants.

Prepare for another bailout of these innocents, if prices begin to slide.

HOLA4410
12 hours ago, mrtickle said:

First, I loathe the over-use of the word "property" instead of "houses". I've met people who deliberately use the word and never utter the word "house" because they think it makes them sound important.

Me too, I really detest it!

"Would you like to come to my propertay for coffee?" 

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
55 minutes ago, juvenal said:

Gabby's husband, rugby player Kenny Logan, certainly seems very impressed by the gains to be had from buying and selling 'property'...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/2783642/Fame-and-fortune-Kenny-Logan.html

They're all buying property and only remember pain from shares.

This says a lot.

Edited by 200p

HOLA4414
8 minutes ago, 200p said:

They're all buying property and only remember pain from shares.

This says a lot.

They are in for a very big shock arent they.Shares will probably go down as quickly when we get a crash,but they will recover quicker and are liquid.Once there is no equity and they cant re-mortgage the pain will really kick in.Legal and General getting into the market big style should also see massive pressure put on the leveraged over time.I think that is one reason the government are changing the tax status,to push renting towards big insurers etc and away from teachers and council workers.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
1 hour ago, juvenal said:

Gabby's husband, rugby player Kenny Logan, certainly seems very impressed by the gains to be had from buying and selling 'property'...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/2783642/Fame-and-fortune-Kenny-Logan.html

The guy can barely read and write!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/scotland/2291315/Learning-to-read-at-34-Kenny-Logans-best-win.html

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
10 hours ago, canbuywontbuy said:

And don't forget that everyone in the UK just can't believe what excellent value the TV License Fee is and is only too happy to pay it.

HOLA4420
8 hours ago, nome said:

...And this is why I only ever refer to the BBC as the state controlled media.

It amazes me how the vast majority of the public can't see the BBC for what it really is, I very rarely watch it yet I'm fully aware that every day we have numerous programmes such as 'Claimed and Shamed' ' saints and Sinners' 'Rogue Traders' 'The Sheriffs are Coming'  etc etc... all aimed at making us be good little obedient law abiding citizens, nothing wrong with that in itself, but when was the last time you ever saw a daily programme (or any programme at all) on the BBC exposing corporate or governmental crime, corruption and greed?

Agree with the points, but that is how you control the masses. Before mass media, this was done through stories of how benevolent and god like your leaders were. Now the queen et al simply do propaganda through radio and TV. 

Although I would say the BBC does expose some crime/corruption e.g Panorama, Newsnight - tax haven programmes its just a very small minority of programming. Most people do not want to hear it, they are followers who simply want to do as they are told. If you don't then you need to find a way to be financially independent, which I guess is the sharp elbowed point on creating capitalism. The problem is always that it is an uneven playing field where vested interests dont want to compete. But I guess this has always been true - but now with global capitalism it is at another level

HOLA4421
22 hours ago, Arpeggio said:

Don't think that would pass the "Kid test" (Kids doing / saying things adults do / say to see if it looks right)

If two kids were playing with LEGO and one hoarded it all because they were there first, didn't actually build anything with it (e.g. like Land or sh***y BTL) called it "property", and said the other kid (who would have done something impressive with the lego) could have it in exchange for a lot of their sweets (money), then Mum or Dad (the economy), or at least others may see the kid as an obnoxious little s*** and fear they may grow up to be a greasy creep.

Adults being in a relative position of responsibility can normalize this however. If everyone's doing it / saying it then who's "judging the judges" ? where's the barometer? Long gone, and some, just like the kid would, while sitting on their fat **** would probably think I'm saying this because I'm just not successful / am jealous and don't earn above average from actually "doing something with Lego", and playing a part of the UK export industry.

hi, yes I agree . I like your kid's test. But any thoughtful person wouldn't need this to recognize the extreme injustice of unchecked or encouraged hpi. I have been ridiculed for posting on the question on morality as it relates to hpi but I think it is at the heart of the matter.

sorry off subject, I dont pay the tv licence ir have a tv. I would never listen to such guff.

HOLA4422
12 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

Me too, I really detest it!

"Would you like to come to my propertay for coffee?" 

Great, glad it's not just me!

The same person insisted on talking endlessly about buying "some new flooring" instead of "a new floor". Flooring is the material that they use to make your floor, you don't buy it, the fitters do from the trade counter, and what she bought from them was A FLOOR, singular. Grrr. !!!

(and relax)

HOLA4423

I was going to post the exact same post the OP did! I was astonished & seriously pi$$ed off at the promo with the guy, just at the very end, saying "theres a limited supply", "property can only go up" etc etc.

It was absolute blatant ramping of the worst kind. Although they're clearly biased as f***,  the BBC are "meant" to be totally impartial aren't they? To think I pay my licence for that B.S.

Anyway the OP's post got me thinking, maybe we could complain to OFCOM? And enough of us do it they would have to do something right? Maybe gather evidence of other examples of BBC's blatant ramping? Thoughts?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

That's a very good point Tapori, it's exactly like an business analyst saying that about oil.

But I bet no-one has ever gone to OFCOM complaining about this before, would be interesting to see how they respond. Not mention their other biased views as noted by canbuywontbuy, which should also be mentioned to them IMO.

Who wants to draw up the draft? :)