House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

Carney is staying....

Meh, it boils down to a single piece in the FT quoting "friends" of his. One thing's for certain, if he does decide to stay, he's got a humongous set of gonads on him and the ego to match, because I can't imagine that job being a very easy ride over the next few years.

12 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

Meh, it boils down to a single piece in the FT quoting "friends" of his. One thing's for certain, if he does decide to stay, he's got a humongous set of gonads on him and the ego to match, because I can't imagine that job being a very easy ride over the next few years.

Or he's criminally insane.

FT is and has been full-on anti-Brexit, of course they are bigging up their man. He simply needs to go. It is equivalent to 2010 when Osborne had the chance to distance the Conservatives from the Labour housing bubble and allow the correction. He goes now and it is a sign that things have changed and priorities are different; that May has balls - like Thatch!

1 minute ago, Alonso Quijano said:

FT is and has been full-on anti-Brexit, of course they are bigging up their man. He simply needs to go. It is equivalent to 2010 when Osborne had the chance to distance the Conservatives from the Labour housing bubble and allow the correction. He goes now and it is a sign that things have changed and priorities are different; that May has balls - like Thatch!

Thatch...caused the whole f**king problem.

5 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Thatch...caused the whole f**king problem.

I mean in terms of strong leadership.

Yes, I agree selling off council housing was a very bad idea, and is at the root of our problems. Major let a crash happen; yet Brown and New Labour did much worse than Thatcher in not reversing her actions, being deceitful about regulation and real inflation, and pumping up the mother of all bubbles... until Osborne.

It has always been unsustainable, however there are moments when a new direction can be set.

12 minutes ago, Alonso Quijano said:

I mean in terms of strong leadership.

Yes, I agree selling off council housing was a very bad idea good idea for the rich, and is at the root of our problems. Major let a crash happen; yet Brown and New Labour did much worse than Thatcher in not reversing her actions, being deceitful about regulation and real inflation, and pumping up the mother of all bubbles... until Osborne.

It has always been unsustainable, however there are moments when a new direction can be set.

But I agree with your sentiment.

There's still a quarter of a per cent of interest rates to get rid of. He can't go until he's managed that and it looks like this month is a no-goer for a further cut now...

13 minutes ago, rantnrave said:

There's still a quarter of a per cent of interest rates to get rid of. He can't go until he's managed that and it looks like this month is a no-goer for a further cut now...

As I said in a seperate post....low interest rates is insanely dangerous when used in conjunction with BTL IO mortgagers,

as the IO part tends to 0 a borrower can borrow more and more and more ( infinity when it reaches )  and still cover the IO part of tyhe mortgage.

To say this is insanity is an unserstatement.

13 minutes ago, satch said:

Carney can't lose, so he is staying. If the economy collapses; Brexit, told you so ... would have been even worse without Carney Rockstar, if the economy soars, his policies have worked, glory and praise for Carney Rockstar. Win - Win.

And by extension the govt are insulated from blame to a degree too

As we know, May says one thing in public to sound good for the masses and another thing in private for the bankers.

So QE and low interest rates will stay as official government policy.

Add 'Taxman's £700m stamp duty windfall as buy-to-let bounces back' http://www.telegraph.co.uk/investing/buy-to-let/taxmans-700m-stamp-duty-windfall-as-buy-to-let-bounces-back/ and the Brexit house price crash seems ever more remote. Not going to happen.

15 minutes ago, Tempus said:

As we know, May says one thing in public to sound good for the masses and another thing in private for the bankers.

Add 'Taxman's £700m stamp duty windfall as buy-to-let bounces back' http://www.telegraph.co.uk/investing/buy-to-let/taxmans-700m-stamp-duty-windfall-as-buy-to-let-bounces-back/ and the Brexit house price crash seems ever more remote. Not going to happen.

The Osborne Doctrine remains the central plank of UK govt policy, this is the unwholesome truth that May and Hammond have been striving to disguise. The privatisation, subdivision and export of UK housing stock to and for the Chinese. Nothing has changed because of the referendum result, and short of total economic collapse nothing ever will.

27 minutes ago, Tempus said:

Hi - its very early days...there's still plenty for time for Brexit to create some serious wobbles, I don't think people have woken up to the seriousness of the inevitable increase in inflation following the fall in the pounds value, its been trivialised with talk about Marmite and other nonsense - falling living standards (again) will be politically tricky.  As for the article you link- the Torygraph will run articles supporting BTL at any opportunity...they preach to the converted, nobody else takes them seriously.

9 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

The Osborne Doctrine remains the central plank of UK govt policy, this is the unwholesome truth that May and Hammond have been striving to disguise. The privatisation, subdivision and export of UK housing stock to and for the Chinese. Nothing has changed because of the referendum result, and short of total economic collapse nothing ever will.

Hi...do you know what proportion of uk housing stock is owned by the Chinese and what proportion in terms of value and unit numbers was bought by them in say 2016?  Where can we find this info...perhaps the record doesn't exist??  The Chinese are an interesting player in this sorry saga...a friend of mine is married to a Chinese lady and she is adamant that they need a BTL, the money is coming from her father...most of their Chinese friends have BTL..it is a status symbol, if you don't own two or more residential properties you are loser in her circle.

4 hours ago, Alonso Quijano said:

For almost a million quid a year I could put up with a few whingeing newspaper columns, especially knowing that I could sod off back to my home country consequence-free at any point. Easy money, every time something goes wrong it's due to external shocks, every time something goes right it's the sagacity of the MPC wot done it. Just do what all the other central banksters are doing, safety in numbers.

59 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

Total economic collapse inevitable.

51 minutes ago, Wayward said:

Hi - its very early days...there's still plenty for time for Brexit to create some serious wobbles, I don't think people have woken up to the seriousness of the inevitable increase in inflation following the fall in the pounds value, its been trivialised with talk about Marmite and other nonsense - falling living standards (again) will be politically tricky.  As for the article you link- the Torygraph will run articles supporting BTL at any opportunity...they preach to the converted, nobody else takes them seriously.

It's been f**king caused by the BOE and that **** they wont get rid of.

2 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

In case there was any doubt who is running the country.....

http://news.sky.com/story/theresa-may-backs-mark-carney-staying-as-bank-of-england-governor-10639715

Theresa May backs Mark Carney staying as Bank of England governor

We really don't know what is going on behind the scenes. As I said the other day "Go quietly and I will ask you to stay, to keep your CV intact" is a plausible scenario.

As Jurgen Klopp said, if you're not getting on with your wife your don't divorce her straight away

13 minutes ago, Si1 said:

As Jurgen Klopp said, if you're not getting on with your wife your don't divorce her straight away

If you're wifes trying to stab you in the back you turn round and shoot her with your shot gun.