House Price Crash Forum
Saving For a Space Ship

North faces housing crisis unless powers are devolved, says thinktank

North faces housing crisis unless powers are devolved, says thinktank  

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/oct/31/housing-crisis-move-north-mayors-powers-thinktank-ippr

London’s housing crisis will move north unless radical powers are handed to mayors in Liverpool, Greater Manchester and the West Midlands, experts have warned.

The thinktank, Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR), said ministers would miss their target of building 1m new homes by 2020 unless it devolved power over housing to the regions.

Ed Cox, the director of IPPR North, said: “The ’northern powerhouse’ and ’Midlands engine’ would be driven by mayors and it’s vital they have the powers to build enough homes – recreating a London housing crisis in regional cities would be a disaster.”

The warning came amid reports that the government is looking at constructing more than 100,000 pre-packed modular homes in an attempt to solve the housing crisis.

In an initiative that mirrors the wave of prefabs built following the second world war, ministers are reportedly keen to encourage banks to lend to companies that build the homes off-site – some in as little as a day – before delivering them to their final destination.....

...Andy Burnham MP, Labour’s candidate for mayor of Greater Manchester, said: “This report is spot-on: Westminster has created a housing crisis across the country and the new mayors must be given the powers to fix it.

“In addition to the proposals in this report, I will be calling for stronger compulsory purchase powers over absent private landlords and the government needs to allow the mayor to refocus the Greater Manchester housing fund away from luxury development and towards council and social housing.”

The report also called for mayors to be handed stamp duty proceeds from new-build homes as an incentive to increase supply. It also said mayors should be able to put levies on empty homes, similar to local authority powers in Scotland.

Labour’s candidate for West Midlands mayor, Siôn Simon, added: “For too long, the West Midlands’ interests have been put second to London’s. Their interests are not ours. Next May’s election is an opportunity to take back control of our own affairs. Nowhere is this more important than on decisions about our future housing needs.

“The housing funding unlocked for the new mayor is great for us, but we need more powers from London to our region to have control over the types of housing that we need and want to build.”...

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

It's worth reading Andy Burnham's alleged part in the MPs expenses scandal.

I believe it was reported that he owned a flat which originally he was claiming mortgage interest relief on. When the rule changed, he moved out of his flat, rented it out and rented a place for himself a short distance away, and claimed the rent for that.

A man of zero ethics.

Ed Cox, the director of IPPR North, said: “The ’northern powerhouse’ and ’Midlands engine’ would be driven by mayors and it’s vital they have the powers to build enough homes – recreating a

London housing crisis in regional cities would be a disaster.”

So the plan for those is to just make them more unpleasantly bigger and assume a load of money will appear as a result. Wonderful. Where's the far more needed plan to try to change things so we don't need to keep building more houses?

41 minutes ago, Frugal Git said:

I believe it was reported that he owned a flat which originally he was claiming mortgage interest relief on. When the rule changed, he moved out of his flat, rented it out and rented a place for himself a short distance away, and claimed the rent for that.

A man of zero ethics.

I have not trusted burnham since he came onto my radar in the leadership election.  He was a blairite through and through. It was lovely to watch his smugness disintegrate when the polls started showing that he was not going to win, dispite being at some point the favourite. 

Since losing that, he has morphed into the man of the people with the Hillsboro report  vindicating the fans. He was part of the establishment that perpetuated the lies for years. Odious and self serving 

2 hours ago, One-percent said:

I have not trusted burnham since he came onto my radar in the leadership election.  He was a blairite through and through. It was lovely to watch his smugness disintegrate when the polls started showing that he was not going to win, dispite being at some point the favourite. 

Since losing that, he has morphed into the man of the people with the Hillsboro report  vindicating the fans. He was part of the establishment that perpetuated the lies for years. Odious and self serving 

I wouldn't trust any Labour politician because of the way they kept quiet over the massed child abuse atrocities for over a decade, rather than risk losing vital Muslim inner city votes.

I sure as hell wouldn't trust them as mayors with billions of extra £ at their disposal, to dispense in areas where they get the most political advantage.

4 hours ago, Frugal Git said:

A man of zero ethics.

No. He's really really thick.

3 hours ago, One-percent said:

He;s not a Blairite.
Hes a total thickie which no -ite bit wanted.

He's a thick as a brick.

More soulless new builds infilled into the few green spaces left and immigration by the several million every decade to keep the destruction of our country going. The Establishment are loving wrecking our lives because it's a game of Monoply where they need players and environmental destruction whilst they own all the deeds.

Edited by crashmonitor

19 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

More soulless new builds infilled into the few green spaces left and immigration by the several million every decade to keep the destruction of our country going. The Establishment are loving wrecking our lives because it's a game of Monoply where they need players and environmental destruction whilst they own all the deeds.

Till they don't. What are they going to do, sit in fortresses surveying the wasted landscape but fearful of treading out into it?

its all going to go mad max at some point 

1 minute ago, One-percent said:

Till they don't. What are they going to do, sit in fortresses surveying the wasted landscape but fearful of treading out into it?

its all going to go mad max at some point 

If your world-view doesn't extend beyond what you can see (horribly small-minded but a lot of people seem to be like that) then it'll still be a long time before every inch is a blasted landscape, so they'll still have their mansions. Nice enough in view but hell just over the horizon is a pretty unpleasant state of affairs to live in IMO (in some ways worse than the opposite, as long as you can get to it), but seems to be enough for these people. Guess that comes from being greedy and superficial.