House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

humdrum

Referendum to vote Scotland out of the UK

13 hours ago, hotairmail said:

If the Scots don't want to go, I don't think they should be forced to leave.

What if we bribed them with a PS4 and a few cans of Pepsi..?

XYY

Scotland should not be part of the UK, then it would just be the K. I think Scotland belongs in Poland.

Could force them to get real on public spending, at the moment it is an experiment in left wing Utopia where most of the population rely on State handouts and there really aren't enough haves to support the system, especially the hundreds of thousands of benefit lifers in Glasgow.

Meanwhile they would have the highest structural deficit in the developed world. Oil needs to rise quick probably north of $150 a barrel to even have a chance of balance.

36 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Could force them to get real on public spending, at the moment it is an experiment in left wing Utopia where most of the population rely on State handouts and there really aren't enough haves to support the system, especially the hundreds of thousands of benefit lifers in Glasgow.

Meanwhile they would have the highest structural deficit in the developed world. Oil needs to rise quick probably north of $150 a barrel to even have a chance of balance.

Hence the massive swing from Labour to SNP, 50% of the Scottish population will vote for whoever gives the impression they'll dish out the most benefits, it's got feck all to do with people wanting independence.

Meanwhile the region with the best schools and highest average earnings (East Renfrewshire) voted in a Tory MSP.

If they ever raise Corp Tax or VAT I'll be relocating my Ltd to England!

I had to go scrawling through a friends facebook page to find a rant they had about Scotland a couple of weeks ago. I have family in Scotland but found this pretty funny nontheless.

Scotland have been a nation living off of the teat of England for over 300 years. The scraggy arseholes joined the union because they pissed away all their money and needed someone to step in and teach them how to balance a ******ing budget. Rather than learn from their mistakes though over that 300+ year period they instead continued their failed ideas and now want to jump host from England to the EU because the EU has deeper pockets from which they can extract money from. Basically if the parasitic Jocks can't get enough free money anymore from a proper functioning host entity to fund their Buckfast, Heroin and Shortbread addictions then the populace may turn to crime to fund them, or even worse in their eyes, have to actually buckle down and build a somewhat functional economy that is autonomous to a degree. Let them leave I say and let's rebuild Hadrians Wall and watch their nation crumble. Within 10 - 20 years don't be surprised if you see adverts on the TV asking for £2 a month to feed a Jock. I can just picture it now - "Hamish has to walk 6 miles everyday for clean water, his sister Aggie hasn't ate in 3 days. Your £2 a month can house and feed Jocks like Hamish and Aggie, please, pick up the phone right now and give us a call to set up a monthly contribution plan".

9 minutes ago, Renewed Investor said:

I had to go scrawling through a friends facebook page to find a rant they had about Scotland a couple of weeks ago. I have family in Scotland but found this pretty funny nontheless.

A friend of the missus is a senior civil servant at the French Foreign office and was almost having the same word-for-word rant a few weeks back, at least the first couple of sentences.

I tried to correct her about Scotland being self sufficient in oil but she was having none of it but she deflated at the end with "but I suppose we'll just have to go along with what ever Germany wants".

I don't think the French Establishment have ever forgiven Scotland for John Law.

I was saying this at the time of the Scots vote.

Seems a bit mad that they can vote in their best interest but the rest of the Union can't vote in theirs on the same matter.

I can only now wish for an end to the SNP and an acceptance of the Scots vote, Brexit seems to have flared the SNP up again.

I'm surprised to hear they would need oil at 150/barrel to break even, budget wise. The Scots always say that the English are stealing all their oil and giving very little in return.

1 hour ago, the gardener said:

If the English don't vote them out they'll never leave. They've bottled the last two referenda they've had and then went on to bottle out of Brexit too. They need to grow a pair.

Aye, dead right.

Get some nads - you caber-tossing, skirt-wearing, Buckfast-guzzling bunch of porridge-gobblers..!

;)

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

7 hours ago, the gardener said:

If the English don't vote them out they'll never leave. They've bottled the last two referenda they've had and then went on to bottle out of Brexit too. They need to grow a pair.

Ok, I guess the independence referendum was one.  The other...?

10 minutes ago, Scunnered said:

1979... when not enough people could be bothered to go an vote - although a 62% turnout wasn't bad in the context of UK elections.

11 minutes ago, Scunnered said:

The 1979 Devolution one. Ok I forgot about the 1997 second devolution one they did vote through.

Still they've bottled out of 3 out of 4.

12 hours ago, the gardener said:

The 1979 Devolution one. Ok I forgot about the 1997 second devolution one they did vote through.

Ah, OK.  It's quite instructive to look at the contrast between 1979 and 1997.  That was a big change in 18 years (although a lot of those 18 years were spent under Mrs Thactcher, which could explain a lot).

Still they've bottled out of 3 out of 4.

I hate to ask, but what was the 4th one?

1 hour ago, Scunnered said:

Ah, OK.  It's quite instructive to look at the contrast between 1979 and 1997.  That was a big change in 18 years (although a lot of those 18 years were spent under Mrs Thactcher, which could explain a lot).

I hate to ask, but what was the 4th one?

The recent EU one.

1 hour ago, hotairmail said:

What Darling nonsense are you referring to?

You know, the whole 'too stupid, too poor, too dependent' line that was trotted out ad naseum. Scotland would be just fine.

If we had voted yes we would have already been bankrupt. Not a great start.