House Price Crash Forum

Questions for the property experts?

HOLA441

Received an invitation from a local EA inviting me to join a roundtable discussion entitled 'Lets talk property and Brexit'.

Blurb.....

In the wake of Britain’s decision to leave the EU, many of us are left wondering, “What will Brexit mean for me and my property or, indeed, properties?” While no one can answer this question with absolute certainty, we can take our concerns to the experts. Join the audience of our round table, with experts from the world of estate agency, lettings, finance and tax, and commercial property. We’ll explore the impact and opportunity for property – and what you should be considering – when Teresa May triggers Article 50 before the end of March 2017.

Anyone here have any suggestions for questions for the panel?

HOLA442
HOLA443

"I have 10 buy to let properties with an average LTV of 75% and an average yield of 4%. I've recently heard of something called section 24. Should I be concerned?"

That should give you an idea of the cut of their jib. Anything short of sell now - sell everything will identify them as shills and stooges.

HOLA444

I have used my powers of the force, and this is where it comes from:

https://andrewsonline.co.uk/property-sessions

Let's talk property and Brexit

Date and location

• UWE Bristol Exhibition & Conference Centre, Bristol, BS34 8QZ
  • Thursday 17th November, 6.30pm – 8pm
  • The doors open from 6pm and the presentation starts at 6.30pm
  • Light refreshments will be available
Edited by 200p

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Ask this:

I am have a portfolio spread across the UK.  I have done the sums and S24 means I need to sell all my properties now before a massive tax loss arises.  But I am worried that if everyone does this, the market will crash and I cannot sell.  What are you seeing?

edit: a 'what are you seeing' question is hard to dodge.  If they do, just go back to "yes, but what are you seeing".  If they say "no one is selling up - say "GREAT - I will move to sell"'  If they say 'everyone is selling up" - "dammit - now I HAVE to sell"

It's called an Akbar question.

Edited by wherebee

HOLA448
HOLA449

I'm willing to bet that the gist will be towards getting all the audience to buy and get on the ladder before it's tooo late.  Prices in Bristol only ever go up.....people have been making fantastic gains.....blah...blah.  In other words a giant sales pitch.  I doubt you'll get any chance to ask anything or you'll be asked to leave (thrown out).  I would advise a tin helmet.

PS It does actually say it's a presentation.  Presumeably sales in Bristol are very thin at the moment.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

in around 2012 I went to to treasury led focus group about housing. I was given a £10 m&s voucher to participate. It was quite an eye opener.

most people in the group could see the folly in manipulating the market and thought it should be allowed to correct, they didn't listen.

HOLA4412
13 hours ago, Wayward said:

in around 2012 I went to to treasury led focus group about housing. I was given a £10 m&s voucher to participate. It was quite an eye opener.

most people in the group could see the folly in manipulating the market and thought it should be allowed to correct, they didn't listen.

Andy Haldane, and that ex Boe staffer Rachel Reeves MP, have been clueless about it on record multiple times. The deaf technocrat class.

Edited by Si1

HOLA4413
17 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Andy Haldane, and that ex Boe staffer Rachel Reeves MP, have been clueless about it on record multiple times. The dead technocrat class.

Stone the crows, Haldane is happy to admit we should put our savings in housing and Reeves believes in the f...ink money tree.