House Price Crash Forum

TV Dongle - Which one

SNACR

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

I've got a Chromecast first gen that has been great, but I also picked up an Amazon fire TV box when it was on offer - the hardware you were getting for the money was incredible and I'm able to run all sorts of stuff on it - e.g. old games emulators and stuff - runs Goldeneye N64 beautifully! So if you had once choice I'd snap up the Fire TV box as you'll be able to do all sorts with it in the future.

If you're in no rush wait a few weeks and Amazon are bound to knock the price of the Fire TV box down for a few days in the march to Christmas.

HOLA444
HOLA445
4 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

Another vote for Chromecast - but only from ignorance of Fire. Basically, whatever you access on your phone/tablet you can beam to your telly. Youtube, iplayer, spotify etc etc

They are so cheap and you usually have multiple slots so I would be tempted to have both. I got a couple on Black Friday November 2014 for £18 each.

Yes, I'm mainly wanting to just displace whatever video is playing on my laptop to the telly so I can carry on opening another dozen tangentially related browser tabs on my laptop. I'm not too keen on the online streaming services as I can't be bothered with the faff of subscribing to half a dozen that each have one show I watch.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

If you want it mostly for YouTube then get a Chromecast. I've got a Chromecast and a Firestick - the Chromecast doesn't play nicely with Amazon video and the Firestick doesn't play nicely with YouTube (the audio and video end up being out by several seconds). No need for an android device to use it but you will need to cast from the Chrome browser. The Chromecast has apps built in for stuff like YouTube, Twitch, Netflix, iPlayer, Plex - they all run really well. It also makes a decent attempt at screen casting for stuff that it doesn't have apps for (you do generally end up with audio and video a bit out of sync which is why it doesn't do a great job at Amazon Video) which works well for casting just audio or video (or something where the audio and video being a bit out doesn't matter too much). This is all based on the first gen chromecast, second gen might be better or worse.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
5 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

I've got a Chromecast first gen that has been great, but I also picked up an Amazon fire TV box when it was on offer - the hardware you were getting for the money was incredible and I'm able to run all sorts of stuff on it - e.g. old games emulators and stuff - runs Goldeneye N64 beautifully! So if you had once choice I'd snap up the Fire TV box as you'll be able to do all sorts with it in the future.

If you're in no rush wait a few weeks and Amazon are bound to knock the price of the Fire TV box down for a few days in the march to Christmas.

Yep - all this.

The Amazon fire box is more bang for buck than the fire stick or the chromecast. It is often down £60 and I have seen it for £50 for students or prime members.

Prrobably will have to wait until black friday.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
7 hours ago, SNACR said:

I haven't got an Android phone or tablet. Is it worth getting one to stream TV from?

Most TVs have Miracast built into them, so you can get a cheapo Android tablet, and connect from that.  Or, the Apple TV has Airplay, so you can wirelessly stream your i device to your TV.

I use the Chromecast to broadcast BT Sport, and the Fire Stick for Kodi & UK TV Play.  The Kodi stick has a useful app (TV Player) which allows you to stream Freeview to a TV without an aerial, and for Chromecast, there's a great little Chrome browser addon called videostream, where you can broadcast film files from the brower to the TV.  VLC has a similiar feature, but its a bit too finnicky..The Roku stick does everything else, such as Now TV...although the Chromecast now does that & Netflix..

HOLA4418

Best for legitimate streaming = ROKU

Best for dodgy streaming = Amazon FireStick / FireBox

Best for seeing whatever is on your tablet/computer/phone duplicated on your telly = Chromecast

Simple as that...

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Just now, Alonso Quijano said:

No remote with a Cromecast? How does that work?

You go to the app (Netflix, iplayer, etc) on your device, and as long as the device & Chromecast are on the same wifi network, there's a square "cast" box that appears in the app.  You open that, and that'll cast it on to the TV...

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Got a HDMI fire stick Thursday.

Ran straight out of the box preregistered with my prime account.

Sync issues sorted by turning off all dolby and reverting to stereo as my TV has no inbuilt sync feature.

Works really well out of the box with YouTube, TV channels, apps and films.

Now to cancel the sky subs.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Nexus Player is better than chromecast because you can use Google's media services + the app store apps without having to have your mobile or tablet on and streaming to it with all the battery usage that entails. You can still cast from mobile devices if you need though. It can be a pain if you want to stream some media file to it, say a multi gigabyte video you downloaded. I copy it to a USB stick plugged into my router which acts as a shared drive and VLC for Android has built in network browsing features. Not mega technical by any stretch but a lot of people might struggle.

HOLA4425

Archived