House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CrashBear

Salary 15k Have 20k Deposit

My folks came down to visit this weekend and I was talking to my mother about all the new build flats that have been popping up at home.

I asked who could afford to buy these flats as the average wage in Warrington isn't very high at all. She told me that if you were on less that 15k a year, the government or local council gives you 20k for a deposit.

She then told me an about two people who were trying to buy flats but one earned just over 15k and the other one just under.

I mentioned that this could be the case but that they would have to pay back the share that the government paid when they sold the place, they were unaware that this was the case.

Has anyone else come across this situation? Does any one have any more info? What would stop someone taking a lower paid job just to get the 20k?

Apparently what has been happening is that people have taken the 20k from the government, but then moved their partner in as well, having two salaries to pay the mortgage but also having the 20k freebie!

:o