House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Picric acid - It's not a bomb scare

Swansea Uni has been evacuated and the Police have cordoned it off. It is not a bomb scare though. They just apparently found picric acid that had almost dried out.

I am sure that it will be OK.

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/8203-swansea-university-evacuated-after-volatile-chemicals-found-live-updates-from-the-scene/story-29846788-detail/story.html

I guess there are a few chemistry / medical labs that might have a bit of picric hanging around at the back of the cupboard, quietly drying out.

I think I had some of this "picnic acid" once. I forgot how to make tea.:blink:

True, but boring story. In 2003 I was clearing out a lab and found a box that said 'do not throw away'. So I opened it and inside found a vial with a label dated 1984. Nomodea what it was so I just binned it.

The moral of the story: there's all kinds of crap hanging around in Uni chemistry labs. Picric acid would be the least of my worries.

I kno

6 hours ago, frozen_out said:

True, but boring story. In 2003 I was clearing out a lab and found a box that said 'do not throw away'. So I opened it and inside found a vial with a label dated 1984. Nomodea what it was so I just binned it.

The moral of the story: there's all kinds of crap hanging around in Uni chemistry labs. Picric acid would be the least of my worries.

I know of two similar stories involving small amounts of fissile material. Both many years ago now but one of those was at Swansea Uni too.

On a different matter the lift in the physics tower and the Montparnasse, Paris lift are the two lifts that I have been in that were closest to freefall.

10 minutes ago, dgul said:

Just what is going on with higher education at Swansea -- did they sort out the incendary at the wrong college...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-37796397

Don't forget, a Swansea uni taught electronics to the guy who bombed the World Trade Centre the first time.

I've just discovered a pack of six "picnic" pork-pies in the fridge - should I ring the Police...?

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb