House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kurt Barlow

Decent Places to Live in the North East (England)

Got through 2 of 3 stages so far of an interview for a job in NE England which would make a refreshing change from Perth (Australia) for the Missus and me (plus sprog).

I don't know the NE that well and being a southern pooftah originally from Cambridge if I were to move there where are the half decent places to live / survive?

Durham sounds reasonable - prima Facie.

Whereabouts exactly in the NE?  Durham itself is OK and so are some of the surrounding towns & villages but there are some of the old mining villages which I would be very wary about.  I've got relations around the Durham area & am originally from just north of Newcastle so I have a reasonable idea.

6 minutes ago, sukuinage said:

Whereabouts exactly in the NE?  Durham itself is OK and so are some of the surrounding towns & villages but there are some of the old mining villages which I would be very wary about.  I've got relations around the Durham area & am originally from just north of Newcastle so I have a reasonable idea.

Job is in the Billingham area so commutable to that locality.

I have heard about the Pit Villages.....

12 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

I recommend Whitby. You can then be the official translator for spy and 1%er.

Perhaps somewhere like Yarm or Richmond?

35 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Hmmm... There aren't that many companies in Billingham who would recruit someone of your background. Chances are you're either going to work at the same one as me or the one next door :)

The locale is littered with decent places to live, depending on what you want. Moreso south of Billingham than North (excluding Durham). Yarm  is always popular, but overcrowded these days. 

Then you've got Stokesley (nice, bit full of gypos), Great ayton, Guisborough, Northallerton, Thirsk, you could even commute as far as York. Between each of those towns there are any number of villages that are perfectly enjoyable places to live.

10 minutes ago, frozen_out said:

Hmmm... There aren't that many companies in Billingham who would recruit someone of your background. Chances are you're either going to work at the same one as me or the one next door :)

The locale is littered with decent places to live, depending on what you want. Moreso south of Billingham than North (excluding Durham). Yarm  is always popular, but overcrowded these days. 

Then you've got Stokesley (nice, bit full of gypos), Great ayton, Guisborough, Northallerton, Thirsk, you could even commute as far as York. Between each of those towns there are any number of villages that are perfectly enjoyable places to live.

Thanks. Yarm looks promising.

NE is looking good from an employment perspective and houses reasonably priced. Mrs. Barlow is a Chemical Engineer and currently works for a very large German Manufacturer so areas with this type of work are always a bonus.

1 hour ago, The Generation Game said:

I recommend Whitby. You can then be the official translator for spy and 1%er.

Perhaps somewhere like Yarm or Richmond?

Hey!  My crapple is not as poor as the thing Spy uses to communicate so don't need translation ta. Ery much!  :lol:

on a serious note, steer clear of anywhere around boro.  

Great Ayton is very nice

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Ayton

Upleatham  is a wonderful village, but pricy and too near to boro for my liking.  Can't find any decent link it is so well hidden.

As generation game suggests, 'tord spot (Whitby to outsiders) is your best bet by far

Whitby;s too much of drag commute wise.

Yarms a good, easy choice.

Just driving round will give you a good idea of which areas to avoid.

Eaglescliffe manages to maintain a resemblance of sanity. Ditto  way up Linthorpe Rd.

The places around boro are surprisingly good - , Ayton, Nunthorpe, Nomrally about 10 mile radius.

If you like the quiet life you could go for top end of the Eskvalley - Danby and Castleton.

There's a lot who live top end of the dales/bottom of CoDurham, so they are near the Scotch Corner, giving you the train to KX too via Darlo or N-allerton.

Coastwise, avoid everywhere bar Saltburn.

Co Durham - some of he new towns are OK but boring.

Some of the old towns are a primitive.

Amazing - in what other country would the coastal towns be the ones generally to avoid ? 

Anyway I'm diverting the chat.

3 minutes ago, ccc said:

Amazing - in what other country would the coastal towns be the ones generally to avoid ? 

Anyway I'm diverting the chat.

Basically, once you get north of Runswick theres only Saltburn til you get to Alnmouth.

4 hours ago, frozen_out said:

Thirsk was a dump with a horrifically bad school when I lived near there a long time ago. I'd suggest Richmond myself.

4 hours ago, frozen_out said:

Do you have redundancy insurance?

And is there a secret HPC handshake so you will know if you meet in the canteen?

5 hours ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Do tell, which are the ones to avoid?

47 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Thirsk was a dump with a horrifically bad school when I lived near there a long time ago. I'd suggest Richmond myself.

Richmond is OK, as is Barny. Darlington isn't too bad either, places like Croft and Hurworth are pretty nice places to live.

With regards to Thirsk, I suppose it depends exactly where you are. I know a few people who live down there and they seem to enjoy it. The commute would be too far for me though, I've become spoiled by the 15 minutes each way every day. 

You could, if you dont mind the commute, try Harrogate or Knaresborough.

There are 100s of lovely but quiet villages dotted around N yorks.

Alex Trotman, ex ceo of ford, choose to end his days in Osmotherly.

2 hours ago, spyguy said:

You could, if you dont mind the commute, try Harrogate or Knaresborough.

There are 100s of lovely but quiet villages dotted around N yorks.

Alex Trotman, ex ceo of ford, choose to end his days in Osmotherly.

I've considered moving to Osmotherly more than once as we love walking around the Cod Beck area. The only thing that puts me off is the number of tourists. Because it's on a number of walking routes across the moors it's always ridiculously busy.

1 minute ago, frozen_out said:

I've considered moving to Osmotherly more than once as we love walking around the Cod Beck area. The only thing that puts me off is the number of tourists. Because it's on a number of walking routes across the moors it's always ridiculously busy.

You could slum it in castleton and drive up. id not recommend commondale or fryup - nowt happening.

24 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

It's also a pilgrimage destination, so lots of Christians.

http://www.ladychapel.org.uk/masses-and-pilgrimages/

Consider villages in the heart of the North York Moors. Glaisdale, Egton Bridge, Grosmont etc. John Harvey Jones lived in the Moors and commuted to ICI in Billingham back in the day.

This. There's so much available you're literally spoilt for choice. East, South or West of Billingham (North is a bit hit and miss) and you're tripping over picturesque and relatively reasonably prices small towns and villages. 

If you have a dencently well paid and relatively secure job in the NE it's by far the best place in the country to live.

A word of caution about the NE or rather West Yorkshire.  One of the most racist areas I've lived in the UK. Constant hassle and abuse for the five years we lived there.  There are some really nice people there, but also a significant minority of idiots who can make your life a misery.  If your missus is visibly middle eastern, I'd be very selective about where you live/sprog goes to school.   Some of the nicer places see a surprising amount of commuter/tourist traffic. 

1 minute ago, StainlessSteelCat said:

A word of caution about the NE or rather West Yorkshire.  One of the most racist areas I've lived in the UK. Constant hassle and abuse for the five years we lived there.  There are some really nice people there, but also a significant minority of idiots who can make your life a misery.  If your missus is visibly middle eastern, I'd be very selective about where you live/sprog goes to school.   Some of the nicer places see a surprising amount of commuter/tourist traffic. 

It certainly went through my mind that in some areas a mixed race marriage might be as welcome as a party to celebrate the life of Margaret Thatcher but was a bit worried I might be stereotyping and things might have become more enlightened.

Travelling the country I've always been aware that amongst retail staff I've overheard more racist remarks the further north you go. Could never decide if there was less racism down south or if it was because there had been less immigration to open the door to it.