House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Examples of self-hatred

These seem to be prevelant in SJW types, by which I don't mean "the left" in general because SJWs are a particular, if vocal, subset of the left.

It reminded me of Tony Benn, from a wealthy titled family, went to public school and Oxford.  Hated everything about his own class and idolised the working class, after a visit to a mine he was asked what the miners were like and he replied "like Greek gods".  Any one of them would have swapped places with him like a shot.

Also the BBC, happy to rip into Christianity (I flagged a whole half hour "comedy" slaughtering Jehovah's Witnesses last month) but always highly respectful of other religions.

And a world cup slot on London local news, 1994, extolling London's multiculturalism by going to a sports shop and saying how many Nigerian etc. national shirts were being sold, and then finsihing with "but there's one that isn't selling so well" and holding up an England shirt.  The reality would have been that it was top seller but no, take the opportunity to rubbish England why don't you?

There was a guy like that at my (public) school, hated the tradition, the chapel, the uniform etc. but you equally know he'd have hated it at the local comp, self-hatred was the root of his trouble.

What seems somehow to have happened is that he and his ilk have taken over the government and the BBC.

It can only be deliberate. People, as a rule, don't hate themselves and their culture. We've been indoctrinated to believe that we're evil and that current and future generations must atone for the 'sins' of Empire. 

It really is awful to see a self-loathing SJW in full swing, arguing that black is blue. The beta males doing it just to try to signal virtue and get a shag make me particularly sick.

Self-hatred is the left. Particularly if they are white skinned. Although academia today is a tight-knit community of 'right on' sorts, I do wonder- should things change a lot - if in future self-hatred of your own race will be listed as a disorder under the DSM.

I don't know any of these people in real life so I try not to let it concern me. What I'm more worried about is, if right-wing / conservatism (small c) comes to most people in later life, does that mean as someone in their 20s that I will end up as a screaming far-left nutcase like Bunny LaRoche when I'm in my 50s?

bunnylaroche2.jpg

29 minutes ago, paulokes said:

Frank I've been having similar thoughts myself but thought they were a bit too deep to air ;)

I witnessed something with the most vocal SJW type I know recently.  A rubbish exercise with lots of questions about wether you think you've been helped or held back in your life...take a step forward or backward accordingly.

Some folks that I can imagine have been genuinely disadvantaged ended up at the middle or middle-to-back.  Our little SJW was at the back of the line and then some.  From the outside they seem like a very privileged person...but I suppose it's all about perspective.

Some other things I've noticed about this person lead me to believe they are VERY insecure and unhappy about themselves.

Basically it's Shame...projected outwards.  If you can't bring yourself to admit you hate yourself you start throwing it out at everybody else instead.

P

Yes, I was in two minds whether to post it but I've never forgotten that Tony Benn quote and whilst his was initially about class it has broadened these days into everything that is us is of less worth than everything that is other.  We have to respect other faiths but the Church of England is denied that respect.

3 minutes ago, prodigal sheeple said:

A relative of mine has always been a self hating (and everybody else) anti semitic nazi. He has taken his self hatred to an entirely new level by becoming an orthodox jew whilst retaining his rather unpleasant views.

Wow.  You hear some things but that tops them.  How on earth does that possibly work?

By marriage (it is not possible to convert) but children inherit their mother's faith. His severe mental health problems help him to cope, he has lived a lie for 40 years as an NF chav successfuly pretending to be a member of the Aristocracy, poor buggers, it actually makes me feel sorry for them. Money isn't everything.

9 minutes ago, prodigal sheeple said:

By marriage (it is not possible to convert) but children inherit their mother's faith. His severe mental health problems help him to cope, he has lived a lie for 40 years as an NF chav successfuly pretending to be a member of the Aristocracy, poor buggers, it actually makes me feel sorry for them. Money isn't everything.

Though money lets you be mad in comfort!

What a strange story.

As an Irish immigrant I find the lack of British national pride to be very odd. Ireland is objectively crap, the only things it's really given the world are Bono and Guinness. Yet most Irish people are proud to be Irish. Britain boasts 130 Nobel laureates, three of the world's ten best universities, is responsible for many feats of engineering, inventions and advances in medicine, many great musicians, artists and authors. I could go on, you all get the point. Why is national pride a taboo? Why is it seen as racist to display the Union Jack or St George's cross? Why are people ashamed to be British?

10 minutes ago, This time said:

As an Irish immigrant I find the lack of British national pride to be very odd. Ireland is objectively crap, the only things it's really given the world are Bono and Guinness. Yet most Irish people are proud to be Irish. Britain boasts 130 Nobel laureates, three of the world's ten best universities, is responsible for many feats of engineering, inventions and advances in medicine, many great musicians, artists and authors. I could go on, you all get the point. Why is national pride a taboo? Why is it seen as racist to display the Union Jack or St George's cross? Why are people ashamed to be British?

+1

Compared to most countries, the U.K. is a great place to live. Hence the jungle in Calais. Ok, I could happily never visit London again, but once you get out into the shires, life here is good. We just need to manage it sustainably (manage migration & economy) so it can also be just as good for our kids.

18 minutes ago, This time said:

Cultural Marxism.

25 minutes ago, This time said:

As an Irish immigrant I find the lack of British national pride to be very odd. Ireland is objectively crap, the only things it's really given the world are Bono and Guinness.

What's objectively crap about Ireland? I suspect that this might end up another "just because it can be measured objectively doesn't make it meaningful, relevent, or useful" post of mine, so I'll trot out my usual "if you're not struggling for survival and have good company and good surroundings then life's good." My (perhaps stereotyped) view of Ireland is that it would do rather better than the UK on those.

And Father Ted for Ireland.

I don't think people are, but that the establishment voices are.

During one if the World Cups when we were having a bit of success Jeremy Hardy (a boiling pit of self hate, which seemed to stem from growing up in Aldershot and hating the army presence) sneered on the News Quiz that the whole country "looked like a loyalist estate in Northern Ireland".

Now if he'd seen a tower block draped in Jamaican flags he would have been praising it. Because it is NOT ENGLISH.

Surprise surprise he's always on the radio.

6 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

What's objectively crap about Ireland? I suspect that this might end up another "just because it can be measured objectively doesn't make it meaningful, relevent, or useful" post of mine, so I'll trot out my usual "if you're not struggling for survival and have good company and good surroundings then life's good." My (perhaps stereotyped) view of Ireland is that it would do rather better than the UK on those.

It's a great place in your terms, or mine, rural, low population density, mostly unspoilt.

I think the point is on objective measures of international success like Nobel Prizes, Olympic medals it's not a patch on the UK. Not that winning those excites me much.

39 minutes ago, This time said:

I think comparing the UK to Ireland is possibly a good pointer to why, I'd say the UK has been one of the most successful nations in global history given it's size and population, problem is that it comes massively tainted because it was done with oppression of other nations, the Irish being a classic example.

Personally that side of it doesn't bother me, that was simply the way it was done, if it wasn't the British doing it then it would have been somebody else. History has changed the way we view the world, but at the time while we were doing whatever it was we were doing was perfectly acceptable. 

I suspect another side of it is that prior to WWII we genuinely were the most powerful nation on earth, however we have failed to continue it. It's not so much that people are not proud, but the fact there is a little bit of shame that we ******ed it up a bit. Even that however is something to be proud of (not sure I really like the term) given that most nations in a similar position would have totally disintegrated given similar circumstances. 

If nothing else we should be very proud of how much we have given to the world. 

17 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's a great place in your terms, or mine, rural, low population density, mostly unspoilt.

I think the point is on objective measures of international success like Nobel Prizes, Olympic medals it's not a patch on the UK. Not that winning those excites me much.

Of course there's nothing wrong about being proud of those too (and they've got their Eurovision record :)). One of the things I find a bit annoying about the Scottish is that they seem far more keen on celebrating their violent bits of history than the period when Scotland was probably the scientific centre of Europe.

9 minutes ago, gilf said:

I think comparing the UK to Ireland is possibly a good pointer to why, I'd say the UK has been one of the most successful nations in global history given it's size and population, problem is that it comes massively tainted because it was done with oppression of other nations, the Irish being a classic example.

I don't think that's the reason, or at least not the whole reason. France has a very similar colonial history to the UK but the French are the complete opposite of us in terms of national pride and valuing their cultural identity. Sweden is more similar to us in terms of lack of national pride but has much less of a colonial history. 

Schooling has a lot to do with it. They're busy glorifying the "Islamic golden age", the period where they enslaved the most culturally advanced civilisation at the time and began an age of sharp atrophy. Meanwhile for British history, they seem solely focussed on slavery and genocide. 

My 10 year old son came home from school and told me he felt bad that: "We killed so many native Americans".

I said: "I didn't kill any. How many did you kill?"

52 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Schooling has a lot to do with it. They're busy glorifying the "Islamic golden age", the period where they enslaved the most culturally advanced civilisation at the time and began an age of sharp atrophy. Meanwhile for British history, they seem solely focussed on slavery and genocide. 

My 10 year old son came home from school and told me he felt bad that: "We killed so many native Americans".

I said: "I didn't kill any. How many did you kill?"

That's the thing I can never understand. It wasn't me personally, I wasn't part of any government that ordered it, I wasn't able to exercise a vote via democratic process to stop it. Literally nothing to do with me personally or any of my actions, also very doubtful my ancestors were involved either (probably were in Scandinavia at the time). Nothing to feel any quilt about. 

No large civilisation in history has been created without a lot of blood shed, we the British were bastards, but pale in comparison to others in the past.